PDA

View Full Version : why is labor more expensive to string with nat gut?

Mbautista
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
my local shop charges 12$ for syn/poly/multi but 14$ for nat gut...any help on this?

Stan
10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Should be the same cost...no need to charge extra...if they are good same care should be given to all strings...natural gut should be no different.

tennisfreak15347
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
first off, I'd like to say that you're lcoal shop strings for a very cheap amount compared to where I live. At the Pro-shops around New Jersey, they charge $37 labor for a basic synthetic gut stringjob.... They charge more for natural gut because 1. it costs more for them to stock that string, 2. they could easily kink it, and it takes slightly more concentration stringing natural gut, because if you don't find satisfaction in your stringjob, they would have to pay for the entire thing.

dancraig
10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
my local shop charges 12$ for syn/poly/multi but 14$ for nat gut...any help on this?

They probably feel like it takes a little more time and effort to do a good job with natural gut.

lostinamerica
10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Natural Gut is significantly more difficult to string. Also, even if you take the same care, it takes longer. I

iplaybetter
10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
i charge extra for it if you have me do a full job, or in the crosses for some people
its a pain, its takes more time and more care, its not that bad but its something i feel is more than reasonable to charge for
the big thing is the amount of time it takes, for full gut i tend to prestreach, and between prestrech and extra time taken it ends up being enough time that i could have done two
i dont charge extra for those who get it regular, and normal i tend not to charge if they order the gut from me (at no upcharge to them)

nickb
10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I would never, ever even think about charging more for stringing gut.

What a joke.

ag200boy
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
the pro shop i used to go to was 12 for syn gut/multi, 14 for gut or hybrids and 16 for polys

Aerial
10-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I strung for a bunch of sports shops in the past...gut takes a little bit more time and care to string-- the time it takes to string is longer to assure there are no kinks, burning, and feeding the string through tight tie-off holes... if anything damages occur the shop charges me for the damages. Never had any problems. So extra care was taken.

Time is money and I can string PSG a lot faster than natural gut. I got paid by the racquet ...not the string type. The shop gets the extra bucks from the consumer.

Ljubicic for number1
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I would never, ever even think about charging more for stringing gut.

What a joke.

You would be one of the few that doesn't.

I can't see a problem with charging more for something that takes longer and has a higher risk of damaging the product. People have to be reasonable, stringers are not charity workers.

Stan
10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I can't see a problem with charging more for something that takes longer and has a higher risk of damaging the product. People have to be reasonable, stringers are not charity workers.

Too many people in this thread are missing the point. Stringing natural gut should be no more challenging than stringing any other string. If you are a using an experienced/professional stringer he/she will not bat an eye at installing natural gut. The process and care will be the same. If you are taking it to less experienced stringers they will claim it takes longer, there is greater risk blah, blah blah. For them this is true, but REAL stringers don't charge more for natural gut. Period. Stan has spoken.

anirut
10-01-2008, 06:30 PM
IMO, they should charge the same, as my usual stringer does.

However, talking about the "more care" part of stringing gut, yes, I do most certainly agree.

I am learning to string under my usual stringer's guidance. Yesterday I tried stringing gut on my Redondo for the first time.

And I screwed up real bad!

I broke the mains while stringing the first few strings! There went half a set...

I don't know if i should laugh or cry as it was my total stupidity ... LOL.

Ljubicic for number1
10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Too many people in this thread are missing the point. Stringing natural gut should be no more challenging than stringing any other string. If you are a using an experienced/professional stringer he/she will not bat an eye at installing natural gut. The process and care will be the same. If you are taking it to less experienced stringers they will claim it takes longer, there is greater risk blah, blah blah. For them this is true, but REAL stringers don't charge more for natural gut. Period. Stan has spoken.

I don't bat a eye at stringing gut but I string very cheaply in the beginning, and it does take a bit longer for gut, so I charge extra, if customers don't want to pay they can go elsewhere, period. Ivan has spoken.

supertrex
10-01-2008, 09:34 PM
hmmm, I thought there is no point of pre stretching Nat Gut due to its high tension maintenance.

Anyways, maybe in the future when all tennis player knows how to string. stringing will be more cheaper.

thanks to Gamma X-2.

Swissv2
10-01-2008, 10:39 PM
All I can offer to this thread is my USRSA MRT of 20+ years, and a 4000+ stringing machine does not charge extra for natural gut.

If your local shop charges more, then they are probably not that good to begin with.

Tofuspeedstar
10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeap..where i go labor is 15 bucks.

Matty G
10-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't know if i should laugh or cry as it was my total stupidity ... LOL.

Cry!!!
10 char

nickb
10-02-2008, 02:49 AM
You would be one of the few that doesn't.

Well if it takes you that much longer and you are at risk of damaging the product then you shouldnt be stringing other peoples rackets.

Ljubicic for number1
10-02-2008, 04:04 AM
Well if it takes you that much longer and you are at risk of damaging the product then you shouldnt be stringing other peoples rackets.

Oh yes stringing master, I forgot I should be bowing to you and agreeing with everything you say, like the rest of the kids around here, very sorry master.

You talk so much crap on these boards its ridiculous, you have some how self assumed the role of master stringer and player and racquet advisor, you really do have yourself on.

Spatula
10-02-2008, 04:11 AM
NickB does come across as brash sometimes, but really....read what he's saying between the lines, and especially what others here are saying (those with expereince).

Charging more for natural gut shows yuo something about the stringer/company your going to. Stringing is stringing. The same care should be used with all types of string regardless if its natural gut, poly, etc...

Long before I started stringing I had this discussion with a "pro shop" owner and thought it was ridiculous. After about 20 minutes of discussion he finally admitted its just anotherway to increase revenue. Yuo use the same technique, procedures, practices.

It's your money to spend, me personally the more in my pocket the better.

Ljubicic for number1
10-02-2008, 04:26 AM
NickB does come across as brash sometimes, but really....read what he's saying between the lines, and especially what others here are saying (those with expereince).

Charging more for natural gut shows yuo something about the stringer/company your going to. Stringing is stringing. The same care should be used with all types of string regardless if its natural gut, poly, etc...

Long before I started stringing I had this discussion with a "pro shop" owner and thought it was ridiculous. After about 20 minutes of discussion he finally admitted its just anotherway to increase revenue. Yuo use the same technique, procedures, practices.

Brash is a understatement, for the record I string gut on a regular basis, I have never damaged a set or a racquet whilst stringing, but I do take a couple of minutes extra on a gut job. Yes a pro shop charging big prices for a string job can afford to charge the same for any string. I string for absolute bottom dollar, I supply string at trade prices for most my customers and I do a bloody good job.

I watched a pro stringer stringing up a customers racquet today and was shocked to see him string 8 mains on 1 side of the racquet and then the 8 mains on the other side. I don't do dodgy stuff like that, I take the utmost pride in everything I do.

I'm sorry but I take offense at some 15 year old kid with a big mouth questioning my stringing skills from the other side of the world because I charge $2 more for stringing gut.

Nuke
10-02-2008, 04:29 AM
I suppose auto mechanics charge more to change the motor oil on a Rolls Royce than a Toyota Camry, because the Rolls needs more care. Or is it just because they figure the Rolls owner has already demonstrated his willingness to pay more, kinda like the natural gut user?

TennezSport
10-02-2008, 04:33 AM
We have a flat charge of $15 for all stringing at our shop. For me personally, I have more trouble stringing poly than I do with NG. We take the same care with all of the racquets we string no matter what it's strung with. Just how we roll :wink:

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

nickb
10-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Oh yes stringing master, I forgot I should be bowing to you and agreeing with everything you say, like the rest of the kids around here, very sorry master.

You talk so much crap on these boards its ridiculous, you have some how self assumed the role of master stringer and player and racquet advisor, you really do have yourself on.

Wow. Think you need to calm down a little.

If you feel the need to charge more go ahead. I take care with every racket.

Oh and you seem a bit jealous.....:oops::shock:

nickb
10-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Brash is a understatement, for the record I string gut on a regular basis, I have never damaged a set or a racquet whilst stringing, but I do take a couple of minutes extra on a gut job. Yes a pro shop charging big prices for a string job can afford to charge the same for any string. I string for absolute bottom dollar, I supply string at trade prices for most my customers and I do a bloody good job.

I watched a pro stringer stringing up a customers racquet today and was shocked to see him string 8 mains on 1 side of the racquet and then the 8 mains on the other side. I don't do dodgy stuff like that, I take the utmost pride in everything I do.

I'm sorry but I take offense at some 15 year old kid with a big mouth questioning my stringing skills from the other side of the world because I charge $2 more for stringing gut.

I dont question your skills....oh and im not 15. :)

Again...calm down a bit...

Ljubicic for number1
10-02-2008, 04:59 AM
I dont question your skills....oh and im not 15. :)

Again...calm down a bit...

Sorry but you did question my skills, what exactly would I be jelous of Nick?

nickb
10-02-2008, 04:59 AM

I like to go right to the point with my posts....if that hurts some peoples feelings I can live with that...if somone cant handle reading a post on here (cough) they really shouldnt be on the internet.

nickb
10-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Sorry but you did question my skills, what exactly would I be jelous of Nick?

No. I questioned your labour charges...i.e more for natural gut. Im sure your a good stringer....didnt mean to wreck your life :shock:

Ljubicic for number1
10-02-2008, 05:15 AM
I like to go right to the point with my posts....if that hurts some peoples feelings I can live with that...if somone cant handle reading a post on here (cough) they really shouldnt be on the internet.

I wouldn't call it going straight to the point Nick, You absolutely flat out deny anybody else's OPINION's , you are pretty much non negotiable on all your views, I see you having swipes at peoples opinions pretty much on a daily basis. But anyway

iplaybetter
10-02-2008, 05:16 AM
the thing is, most of us are chargin what, 15 for gut i think thats plenty cheep, the higher the price of basic stringing the lower the justification for upcharging gut

Ljubicic for number1
10-02-2008, 05:18 AM
the thing is, most of us are chargin what, 15 for gut i think thats plenty cheep, the higher the price of basic stringing the lower the justification for upcharging gut

Exactly base price should be taken into account.

Spatula
10-02-2008, 05:29 AM

Sorry, I just don't agree. I respect that home stringers, pro stringers, anyone in business is in business to make money. I don't question that, but I don't understand the premise for upcharing for gut when you do the exact same thing (procedures/care) as you do for synthetic gut. You don't string differently. Yes you may take more time to be "extra careful" but you do the same thing regardless of how much time you take. It's just a way to score more $ per stringjob. If your customers pay it, more power to you, and the sucess of your business. Would I have you string for me, no I'm sorry I would not. Again this is just my opinion and justification.

nickb
10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't call it going straight to the point Nick, You absolutely flat out deny anybody else's OPINION's , you are pretty much non negotiable on all your views, I see you having swipes at peoples opinions pretty much on a daily basis. But anyway

You have got your opinion...I am not saying its wrong...if people pay you then great. Its called a debate...if you cant take it then you know where the door is.

nickb
10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I just don't agree. I respect that home stringers, pro stringers, anyone in business is in business to make money. I don't question that, but I don't understand the premise for upcharing for gut when you do the exact same thing (procedures/care) as you do for synthetic gut. You don't string differently. Yes you may take more time to be "extra careful" but you do the same thing regardless of how much time you take. It's just a way to score more $ per stringjob. If your customers pay it, more power to you, and the sucess of your business. Would I have you string for me, no I'm sorry I would not. Again this is just my opinion and justification.

Spot on. If I was away from my machine and wanted a racket strung with gut I would laugh if a stringer said its $3 more or whatever. I just would not pay or use the stringer.

Nellie
10-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I asked my shop, and they indicate that gut cost more because they pre-stretch. On a different note, they have been talking about charging more for poly's because they are physically harded to string and take more time.

ollinger
10-02-2008, 08:48 AM
A stringer(who does NOT charge extra) told me gut takes him longer because he does a more careful job of checking the condition of the grommets before stringing (because of the fragility of the gut.)

Rabbit
10-02-2008, 09:33 AM
I've probably strung 500+ gut jobs over the years. I charge the same regardless of string. But, there are a couple of points, 1) I don't do this for a living, I do it because I enjoy it, and 2) if someone a shop or whatever wanted to charge me $2 more for gut, I'd be ok with that too. I mean, they could just as easily bump the price of gut by $2 and charge the same for stringing.

As far as poly, well if you string enough of it, it ain't that bad. And....everything else (nylon and gut) that you string is a dream compared to it. ;)

bsandy
10-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I worked the desk, at a ATP event a couple of summers ago. There were two ATP pros using a Synthitic like string. The stringers fought over (a bit in jest) who got to string for those pros.

They did however charge the same, but that was because the price was set by the tournament organizers.

So beat your chest and say "It's the same", but it's not. If you've strung a lot of racquets with NG and haven't kinked a set, or stepped on it, you're lucky -- not good.

Maybe they question should be, should I charge less for SG ?

. . . Bud

JavierLW
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM

Having an opinion different then your own is like taking a swipe at your opinion. Get real. You called it an "opinion", so you shouldnt get upset when someone has a differnet one.

I agree he might of been brash when he insisted that you shouldnt be stringing racquets if it takes you longer for gut, but then you got all childish and defensive and you personally attacked him.

A lot of us who are paying for these things but do not string our own racquets would like to know. Does it take extra time for gut, or is it right that they should all take the same because the same care should be given to all strings?

It doesnt provide a service to anyone just to hear one person's opinion on it without hearing the other side because heaven forbid someone's feelings get hurt.

(for the record I take my racquets to someone who I consider to the best in my area. If he's there he usually charges me $14 regardless of the type of string, but if he's not there and Im picking the racquets up, some kid at the golf store where the guy works looks it up in a chart and sees that stringing gut cost $17. I dont personally care if they charge me $2-3 more if they are doing a good job, if I cared that much about that, I wouldnt buy gut in the first place, but if they did something silly like charge $27 or double then I would be sort of annoyed and take my business elsewhere)

ohplease
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I worked the desk, at a ATP event a couple of summers ago. There were two ATP pros using a Synthitic like string. The stringers fought over (a bit in jest) who got to string for those pros.

They did however charge the same, but that was because the price was set by the tournament organizers.

So beat your chest and say "It's the same", but it's not. If you've strung a lot of racquets with NG and haven't kinked a set, or stepped on it, you're lucky -- not good.

Maybe they question should be, should I charge less for SG ?

. . . Bud

Best post in the thread.

Plain old solid core or multi nylon is pretty much idiot proof. Natural gut and co-poly involves significantly more hassle. If I still payed someone else to string for me, I wouldn't blink an eye at being charged more for gut.

Ease of stringing is a legitimate issue. Just cause some self-appointed expert doesn't slap different charges on different kinds of strings doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the real world - nor does it mean it's wrong to do so.

Hassle is time, and time is money. Forget the string, if stringing was my business, I'd charge based on customer hassle, too.

matchmaker
10-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, following a certain logic, poly stringing should be more expensive because it is the hardest to string, then NG, then syn gut.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have different rates, as more people would be using syn gut and have less injuries. When I see beginners with full poly string jobs, I wonder sometimes.

Stannie
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
At my first stringing job, the shop asked for 3 dollars more for natural gut labor. At my current shop, labor is the same, poly to synthetic to natural. IMO, labor should cost the same regardless.

Just a side note:
There are some ranDUMB stores that charge extra for, "in their opinion," strings that have difficulty weaving (i.e. Gamma Ruff, Babolat Razorspin, etc...).

Rabbit
10-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Just a thought....

TW charges $10 extra for stringing wood....

:)

Maybe a pain in the arse is worth a couple of extra bucks?

iplaybetter
10-02-2008, 02:52 PM
we can **** and moan back and forth all we want, but the facts are this:
Gut IS not the same as syn gut from a labor point of view
It is not uncommon for it to be an up charge
it is up to the stringer to decide if they want to charge more for the added time/effort or what have you.

the more i do it the less i am inclined to charge more for it, that said i feel its more than reasonable, for me the bottom line is this, if your bringing me lots of sticks, you get the string from me, i told you to go to gut, then im not upchargin you

Spatula
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Were all just expressing our opinions. What are you getting all up tight about? No one said you shouldn't upcharge for gut if you choose, that's your business. Do as you wish.

All I said is I don't agree with the notion of charging more for it. Aside from pre-stretching the stringer is doing the same thing that they would do for a syngut job. Do you agree? The business or stringer in some cases is tacking on a few extra dollars for pre-stretching, unless there is another aspect I'm missing here. What else do you do, procedurally when stringing gut vs syngut?

I just don't agree and would "CHOOSE" not to employ a stringer or business that charged more in this particular case. Luckily there are usually a fair number of stringers out there so we have choices.

iplaybetter
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Were all just expressing our opinions. What are you getting all up tight about? No one said you shouldn't upcharge for gut if you choose, that's your business. Do as you wish.

All I said is I don't agree with the notion of charging more for it. Aside from pre-stretching the stringer is doing the same thing that they would do for a syngut job. Do you agree? The business or stringer in some cases is tacking on a few extra dollars for pre-stretching, unless there is another aspect I'm missing here. What else do you do, procedurally when stringing gut vs syngut?

I just don't agree and would "CHOOSE" not to employ a stringer or business that charged more in this particular case. Luckily there are usually a fair number of stringers out there so we have choices.

i take the time to check the gut for anything that could cause isues, i use the "low" setting which ads about 6 minutes in extra pull time
if we are going on pure concept if i have a stack of rackets and average about 3 an hour for sythetics (including poly) then when i hit that gut stick my productivity gets cut by a full racket per hour, if i was to charge on a time basis that would justify a double in price

thats a bit extream but on a purely hypothetical levle...

Ljubicic for number1
10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Having an opinion different then your own is like taking a swipe at your opinion. Get real. You called it an "opinion", so you shouldnt get upset when someone has a differnet one.

I agree he might of been brash when he insisted that you shouldnt be stringing racquets if it takes you longer for gut, but then you got all childish and defensive and you personally attacked him.

A lot of us who are paying for these things but do not string our own racquets would like to know. Does it take extra time for gut, or is it right that they should all take the same because the same care should be given to all strings?

It doesnt provide a service to anyone just to hear one person's opinion on it without hearing the other side because heaven forbid someone's feelings get hurt. His opinion doesnt make the other person WRONG does it?

(for the record I take my racquets to someone who I consider to the best in my area. If he's there he usually charges me $14 regardless of the type of string, but if he's not there and Im picking the racquets up, some kid at the golf store where the guy works looks it up in a chart and sees that stringing gut cost $17. I dont personally care if they charge me $2-3 more if they are doing a good job, if I cared that much about that, I wouldnt buy gut in the first place, but if they did something silly like charge $27 or double then I would be sort of annoyed and take my business elsewhere)

I didn't personally attack him over this issue alone, it's his whole demeanor on here, talk about not accepting other peoples right to an opinion.
I often see someone voice their opinion on a string or racquet on this forum and Nick then replies to the post starting with "WRONG" and then states his opinion. His opinion doesn't make everybody else wrong surely?

Tofuspeedstar
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
They should charge more to string ALU Power Rough/Gamma Ruff

lol.

nickb
10-03-2008, 02:25 AM
I didn't personally attack him over this issue alone, it's his whole demeanor on here, talk about not accepting other peoples right to an opinion.
I often see someone voice their opinion on a string or racquet on this forum and Nick then replies to the post starting with "WRONG" and then states his opinion. His opinion doesn't make everybody else wrong surely?

Nope...I have never said someone is WRONG....I just say what I think (my OPINION). You need to get out more.

:oops:

Ljubicic for number1
10-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Nope...I have never said someone is WRONG....I just say what I think (my OPINION). You need to get out more.

:oops:

I could do a search and put up some examples but I won't bother, I will go out instead:)

Pusher
10-03-2008, 02:58 AM
It takes me longer to string NG. I take the time to be careful with it like I should, but don't, with all other strings. I'm not as meticulous with a $3 syngut as I would be with a $30 VS. But then I string for free, its not a business for me, its more of a hobby.

But the same good techniques a stringer uses for a syngut would also be proper for any other string. I wouldn't pay more for NG stringing.

Spatula
10-03-2008, 04:05 AM
i take the time to check the gut for anything that could cause isues, i use the "low" setting which ads about 6 minutes in extra pull time
if we are going on pure concept if i have a stack of rackets and average about 3 an hour for sythetics (including poly) then when i hit that gut stick my productivity gets cut by a full racket per hour, if i was to charge on a time basis that would justify a double in price

thats a bit extream but on a purely hypothetical levle...

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I see you point to a degree, but also find holes in what you saying that I don't agree with. Like I said previously, businesses are in business to make money, and we have choices when choosign a stringer.

Cheers!