PDA

View Full Version : XCel Premium, XCel Power or Power Attraction?? (17 g.)

Connors
10-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm looking for the best string for my Pure Storm and want to stay away from polyesters as they are too tough on my elbow.

I was playing with Bi-Phase 17 but I've grown a bit tired of its' trampoline like feel. I want a comfortable string, but I want it to feel a tad crisper than the Bi-phase and still provide some nice "pop" with very good control.

What is the best string of these three? Obviously, the Power Attraction 17 is the least expensive of these three mulifilaments but what would provide the best playability? What are the differences between the three? Thanks!!

Il Mostro
10-02-2008, 06:09 AM
I have not played with the PS, but I've played extensively with X-1 on APDC's and on other racquets. I actually quite like the crispness of X-1 on the ADPC because I feel it offsets some of the numb, detached feeling of hitting with a big hollow tube :-) I think if the trampoline effect is what is bothering you, try Xcel Power. I have been playing this on my TF's and find that the power is close to X-1 but with a greater degree of control and is even better in terms of touch shots. Tension maintenance is the same, very good on both.

Xcel Premium/2008 is a different beast. Super cushioned, but still great playability. Somewhat better than both X-1 and Xcel Power in the areas of control and touch shots. I prefer the added crispness and pop of Xcel Power though. I cannot speak for Attraction at all, having never used it. In the same price range, you might stray from the Babolat path and try Wilson Reaction -- also very nice on the APDC. Great string for the $.

Connors
10-02-2008, 04:06 PM
thanks for the feedback. I'll probably try XCel power 17. Any other feedback?

Il Mostro
10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
You are welcome. Since you are already familiar with X-1, I do not think you will be disappointed. FWIW, I will be trying out Klip Armour Pro which is natural gut but with an outer coating that tones down the power and firms things up.