PDA

View Full Version : question about wrist

snapped77
10-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I recently got back into tennis in a big way, i currently am a 3.0 and play on a combo league team and in tournaments in my area every other weekend.

i played singles, and two doubles events this past weekend, making it to the finals in two events, so i played a lot of tennis. as i got near the end of the tournament, my wrist was starting to hurt on the top side, mainly near the thumb and index finger area.

i got a new racquet about a month ago, an aerodrive pro and have it strung with pro blends (60 mains, 62.5 on crosses). this is not crazy for me since my last racquet was pro blend at 60 and when i demoed the aerodrive pro i accidentally borrowed the club pro's and used it in two matches, which we won and i performed well (his racquest was problend 68). so its not overstrung for me.

i was jsut wondering could it be from using my wrist to generate power in my serve? i was serving very well and just started pro-nating my wrist more when i serve. or could it be from sweeping the ball too much on my forehand?

any info would help greatly. thanks.

fuzz nation
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
It's really hard to know what's going on in your shots to create that issue in your wrist, but it sounds to me like you're probably either steering the racquet through the ball too much (trying to lift for topspin on your forehand) or letting your wrist snap over (palm turning inward toward your forearm) too far on that serve.

In terms of wrist pronation on your serve, you might be best off staying loose in both your arm and wrist and concentrating on the right swingpath through the ball instead of actively trying to pronate as you hit. If you've got a lot of whip in your strokes, you could be making your wrist extend/flex too much. A full stroke should ultimately be more reliable than a whippy one and also not wail on the joints too much.

I'm just guessing here and you'd probably be smart to get a quick check-up with a trained eye on your shots. The other thing could be that you're still changing your timing to accommodate your relatively new racquet. I've done a few swaps in recent history and my timing can require a number of weeks of frequent play to get my tempo adjusted to the new frame.

snapped77
10-03-2008, 02:14 AM
well, played again last night, 3 sets with another 3.0 player in singles, wasnt that long of a match since i won 6-1, 7-5, 6-2; but my wrist is killing me again today.

aerodrive pro strung with pro blend, 60 for mains, 62.5 for crosses.

even tried putting my gamma worm vibration reducer on for a set, it seemed to help a bit on the offcenter hits, but i felt like i was not in control of my shots because it deadened the racquet so much.

think ill just drop the $45 for a lessson tomorrow and see if he can figure otu whats wrong or if i finally need to switch to new strings since my old racquet that had problends at 60 was also a 110 sq. inch racquet. maybe since i switched to the 100 sq. inch with a smaller sweet spot the pro blends are too mcuh for me.

anyways, any more help would be appreciated, thanks.

SystemicAnomaly
10-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Does your frame use the Cortex system? If not, it could be a 2ndary factor.

The string dampener is not really a solution -- it is probably only masking the real problem. Are these polyester or kevlar strings -- it might be a bit too stiff for you, espcially at that tension on the smaller frame. If you are hitting off-center a lot, you might want to go with a looser tension and/or a softer string.

However, I do not believe that the string is the primary problem here. Like the Babolat frame, the strings might just be a contributing factor. My guess is that a flaw in stroke mechanics is the major culprit.

lawlitssoo1n
10-04-2008, 06:46 PM
using your wrist should be a part of ur serve, but not only ur wrist to generate full power. I just turned 17 and i hit serves at 100+ mph avg. Its becuase i drop my racket like andy roddick and im 6'2" :D. but once i get my wrist to work, im hoping it would get even faster