PDA

View Full Version : signum pro poly plasma (16), what for crosses?

GeoffB
10-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi,

I recently gushed about my recent experience with the Hurricane Pro/XCel combination in my PDR, and I'm still happy with it, but tension loss is pretty major, so I'm still looking around. It's about $15 a set, which isn't too terrible I guess, but it looks like I'd need to restring weekly because of tension loss, which will start to add up (I got my own stringer last month, so hey, it's better than what I was paying before).

I've read that signum pro poly plasma is a good string. Has anyone had a good experience with this string, either as a full setup or with a different string for the crosses?

I'm particularly interested in a recommendation for crosses.

Thanks!
Geoff

tennisfreak15347
10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I strung SPPP 16L up for someone at 51.5lbs on a full set-up, and I got to hit around with it. It was surprisingly softer and more comfortable than I imagined; comparing it to Pro Redcode. For a cross, any cheap synthetic gut will do; Gamma synthetic gut (which is also very soft), Forten Sweet, but IMO, I wouldnt recommend Gosen to you. I found that Gosen lost way too much tension after only 5 hours of hitting.

GeoffB
10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Cool, thanks. Didn't know that about Gosen, but I haven't been using synthetic gut much lately. I'll probably give the gamma a go, this sounds like a good setup.

DustinW
10-03-2008, 06:53 AM
SPPP is great all by itself, so don't be afraid to try a full setup.

Spatula
10-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I honestly hated it in a hybrid setup. I crossed it with Forten Sweet (both 17g though), and also PS Titan. Just felt terrible to me. I had it in my Prestige Pros.

Stannie
10-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi,

I recently gushed about my recent experience with the Hurricane Pro/XCel combination in my PDR, and I'm still happy with it, but tension loss is pretty major, so I'm still looking around. It's about $15 a set, which isn't too terrible I guess, but it looks like I'd need to restring weekly because of tension loss, which will start to add up (I got my own stringer last month, so hey, it's better than what I was paying before).

I've read that signum pro poly plasma is a good string. Has anyone had a good experience with this string, either as a full setup or with a different string for the crosses?

I'm particularly interested in a recommendation for crosses.

Thanks!
Geoff

SPPP with some sort of multifilament string (to acquire the "Xcel" feel from your previous setup). I am going to recommend Isospeed New Professional. It is a 17 gauge string, but IMO very close to natural gut feel. The structure of the string is different than many other multifilaments out there, and IMO, a better complex. And yes, it is soft, and maintains tension very well (surprisingly durable too...). If you want to go with 16 gauge, go with Isospeed Control. From experiences with this string, it feels a lot different than the New Professional, like a coated multifilament.

Your sets are going to come up less than $15, and if you decide to get reels, then obviously even less. But, without a doubt, buy a set each to play test.

tenisjugador
10-03-2008, 07:12 PM
I use full SPPP (1.23) and I love it - plus the combined tension maintenance and price make it a good choice in the long run, as far as money goes =].

jazar
10-04-2008, 05:22 AM
i used to use signum pro poly plasma, but the hextreme version on the mains and prince synthetic gut duraflex on the crosses. its slightly more economical in its cost and it plays pretty comfortably as well

ls206
10-04-2008, 05:27 AM
I've got plasma Hextreme/syn gut 17g combo at the moment but for my next string setup I'm going to try plasma pure 1.18 in the crosses
full poly but the pure claims to play softer than the poly plasma

GeoffB
10-04-2008, 06:36 AM
I use full SPPP (1.23) and I love it - plus the combined tension maintenance and price make it a good choice in the long run, as far as money goes =].

Hmm - you're the second person on this thread to recommend a fully SPPP setup, which isn't something I usually hear about other polys. I was going to put something else into the crosses, but that was more by default, since that's usually what I've done with polys so far. I'm definitely going to try this out in a full setup. I've noticed you can buy a full 660 reel on TW for just under $100, so yeah - it could be very economical (obviously, I'll order a couple of packets for a test run first before going in for the reel).

TheShaun
10-04-2008, 07:42 AM
i like SPPP with Gosen at low tensions.