PDA

View Full Version : Weird String Breaking...

Straitblade
10-02-2008, 04:39 PM
So today my mom went and had my racquet restrung for me
after picking it up she just put it in the back seat, did a few errands, and came home.
when I checked out my racquet, the center two mains had snapped right at the grommet. Why would this happen?
the stringer is a pretty reputable tennis shop.
and the string on the mains was PHT at 57 pounds, so I don't get it :confused:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh173/straitblade/IMG_2019.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh173/straitblade/IMG_2022.jpg

Drewwonu
10-02-2008, 04:42 PM
is your grommet sharp?

Straitblade
10-02-2008, 04:46 PM
well looking at it, it seems perfectly normal to me.
though I guess I wouldn't know.

lawlitssoo1n
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
i think putting ur racket in your car isn't a good idea. i never do it

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-02-2008, 05:17 PM
i think putting ur racket in your car isn't a good idea. i never do it

hes right on that if she left it in there for even 10 minutes it can do that (if hot enough) can be several things
sharp grommets or poor stringing but if you can tell us how long it was in the car or clearer images of your grommets we can give you a better answer:)

Straitblade
10-02-2008, 05:44 PM
good point about the car.
I live in a california desert area so it was about 105 today down where we had it strung. I bet that did it.

bluescreen
10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
just bring it back to the shop. they'll probably restring it for free. the customer's always right, and it wouldnt look good on them if the strings broke before they even touched a ball.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
good point about the car.
I live in a california desert area so it was about 105 today down where we had it strung. I bet that did it.

yah it was broiling today, as hot as it was id say thats going to be it

Straitblade
10-02-2008, 05:58 PM
just bring it back to the shop. they'll probably restring it for free. the customer's always right, and it wouldnt look good on them if the strings broke before they even touched a ball.
Yep, they said they'd redo it for free :)

yah it was broiling today, as hot as it was id say thats going to be it
oh haha just noticed you're from redlands.
yeah this was down in Palm Desert/La Quinta area, so even worse :0

mikeler
10-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I had a pro shop restring a racket for me at no cost when it had a break just like that. The difference was, I had already played a set and a half. A good pro shop knows that you will spread the word about them good or bad after an incident. Ask them to restring it, the worst they can do is say no.

Now that I have my own stringer, I'm the only one to blame. I did have one of my first string jobs break before I took the racket out of the bag. That is the only time I've had a string job break on me before use. Maybe you got the rookie stringer at the pro shop :)

tennisfreak15347
10-03-2008, 11:39 AM
if they clamp the strings too hard, or kink it, the strings might break. However, the heat also has a lot to do with it, so never put your racquet in the car ever again. Even when I'm going to ShopRite, I carry the tennis racquet with me, no matter how strange it looks, :lol:. it's better than a trip back to the pro shop, or in my case, having myself re-string it again.

Daycrawler
10-03-2008, 01:19 PM
if they clamp the strings too hard, or kink it, the strings might break. However, the heat also has a lot to do with it, so never put your racquet in the car ever again. Even when I'm going to ShopRite, I carry the tennis racquet with me, no matter how strange it looks, :lol:. it's better than a trip back to the pro shop, or in my case, having myself re-string it again.

Yeah. Bad strings is always a possibility.

tennisfever8181
10-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Even when I'm going to ShopRite, I bring my racquet with me.

haha!!!!! You bring the racquet with you?!?!?!? Couldn't that be considered a weapon?

Irvin
10-03-2008, 04:21 PM
IMHO this is a problem with some poly strings. Many people on this forum think that is 'Shearing' but I don't believe them. Maybe someone banged the racket on their hand and hit it off center causing a mishit. Pro Hurricane and Lux strings do this all the time.

If you look at the bends in the strings closely you can see the 90 bend on both ends of the strings which means to me the string broke on the crossover between the two grommet holes. Clearly to me either a defective string or poor workmanship. I would take the racket back and show it to the stringer.

Irvin

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-03-2008, 04:34 PM
if the car was left is 100*+ weather don't you think that has something to do with it

Mansewerz
10-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Was it a hot day?

The inside of a car can get very hot on a sunny, hot day.

M

Stannie
10-03-2008, 10:56 PM
It could have been hot, and maybe your mother threw her purse or something on it by accident,

mikeler
10-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I live in Florida and always keep my rackets in the trunk and never have a problem.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-04-2008, 11:13 AM
palm springs area is pretty damn hot 9 months out of 12...

supertrex
10-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I think the string got kink when stringing. I know you said its a reputable stringer but their still humans, or defect string. I lived in Florida and long time ago I use to leave my racquet in my trunk summer days, never happened. and I strung mine 59.

But ofcourse after learning everything I dont do it anymore.

Straitblade
10-04-2008, 12:12 PM
ok thanks for all the input!
I guess I'll just be more careful with my racquet in general now, especially on hot days.
Either way, they are redoing it for free so it's all good.
I'm actually not even gonna use that stringing place anymore, cause I found a real experienced local guy who will do it for cheaper.
Especially if I just buy the strings off TW and have him install.

mikeler
10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Glad everything worked out. I just recently bought my own stringer after years of having somebody else string my racket. I'm very happy I made that purchase. Over a lifetime of tennis, you'll save a ton of money. Plus you can experiment with different strings. Everything you need to learn how to string is available from Yulitle on YouTube.

Irvin
10-05-2008, 05:59 AM
I can not believe that so many people think it may be the heat, the grommet, a kink, where they clamp the string, or something besides the string. There are also so many other people that have had the same problem and no one blames the strings. So many people that always keep there rackets in the trunk of a car whose strings never break. Synthetic gut strings get kinks too and they don't seem to break like this.

I would bet you a dollar to a donut all those strings breaking in the same place by everyone are polyester strings. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Is everyone on this forum blind?

By the way, all polyester strings don't break like this. If someone wants to play with a certain string that break often the same way because of any reason that is okay as long as they understand the problems associated with the string. If you find you are having to string bad strings over and over raise your prices or warm your customers about the string and tell them they are not guaranteed. Or give you customer other options.

One poly string I have found the does not break this way and is very inexpensive is Gosen Polylon.

Irvin

tennisfreak15347
10-05-2008, 06:43 AM
I can not believe that so many people think it may be the heat, the grommet, a kink, where they clamp the string, or something besides the string. There are also so many other people that have had the same problem and no one blames the strings. So many people that always keep there rackets in the trunk of a car whose strings never break. Synthetic gut strings get kinks too and they don't seem to break like this.

I would bet you a dollar to a donut all those strings breaking in the same place by everyone are polyester strings. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Is everyone on this forum blind?

By the way, all polyester strings don't break like this. If someone wants to play with a certain string that break often the same way because of any reason that is okay as long as they understand the problems associated with the string. If you find you are having to string bad strings over and over raise your prices or warm your customers about the string and tell them they are not guaranteed. Or give you customer other options.

One poly string I have found the does not break this way and is very inexpensive is Gosen Polylon.

Irvin

au contraire mon frere, many have reported having natural gut pop in the trunk of their car, due to heat. This one right here had their friend leave their natty gut stringjob in a car for some time, and it popped. dollar please? :D
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=223045&highlight=clown

Irvin
10-05-2008, 04:25 PM
This one right here had their friend leave their natty gut stringjob in a car for some time, and it popped. dollar please? :D
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=223045&highlight=clown

Natty gut? I assume you mean that had played with the string for some time (causing it to become natty or start fraying) and it broke. Send me a picture where it broke in the top of the racket between the two grommet holes while on the way home from the stringer.

I am not saying heat is good for the racket strings especially natural gut strings. I am saying some poly strings break often for no apparent reason. And it is almost always at the top of the racket.

Irvin

mmeyer1
10-05-2008, 04:33 PM
natty = slang for natural, ie "natty ice" instead of "natural ice" when referring to beers

tennisguyak
10-05-2008, 05:35 PM
This happened to a friend of mine several times. He would get his 03 tour restrung, go out and hit for five minutes and the strings would snap right underneath the grommet in the same place every time.

He went through at least five string jobs before him and our coach could figure out what was wrong. They ended up tubing the strings (putting the part that touches the mains into thin plastic tubes), but they broke again.

So finally they cut part of the grommet out just using a knife and the strings were back to normal.

So, get it restrung, hit with it some, and if it happens again, ask your stringer to examine the grommets for any sharp edges that could be causing it. It might have been the weather, but I doubt that would effect it so much.