PDA

View Full Version : Full Kevlar job at 42 lbs!!

dman72
10-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Ashway Kevlar 17 on my NXG oversize.

First impressions: what the hell is that sound? Even with a gamma shock buster it sounds like glass breaking. Very high pitched.

Anyway, feels very soft, lots of ball bite, no trampolining whatsoever. I was hitting with my ball machine and I swear I never missed long by more than 6 inches. Very consistent string bed. I'm looking forward to playing a match with it.

rich s
10-03-2008, 10:18 AM
.........Anyway, feels very soft, lots of ball bite, no trampolining whatsoever.........

very soft and no trampolining are not two qualities of a string you would expect to hear describing the same string.

can you elaborate any on the feel?

I thought a full kevlar job with Ashaway kevlar was too harsh and had zero feel. All you feel is the ball compressing against an extremely stiff stringbed.

dman72
10-03-2008, 11:13 AM
very soft and no trampolining are not two qualities of a string you would expect to hear describing the same string.

I thought a full kevlar job with Ashaway kevlar was too harsh and had zero feel. All you feel is the ball compressing against an extremely stiff stringbed.

Look at it this way: A flexible racquet..does it slingshot the ball back? No.

When you string Kevlar at very low tensions, it basically behaves more like a flexible paddle..it absorbs some of the shock, you feel the ball being absorbed into the strings, but it doesn't rocket back off of them like a synth gut string job at the same tension, because kevlar has basically zero elasticity compared to synthetic gut. I found that I could basically push volleys in any direction I wanted without the ball flying long or out..and we're talking at 42 pounds!

blackfrido
10-03-2008, 11:25 AM

you are wrong! it's not harsh especially at that tension and it has fell way over zero.

rich s
10-03-2008, 12:07 PM
you are wrong! it's not harsh especially at that tension and it has fell way over zero.

Are you joking? How can you tell me what I felt? Let alone that I am right or wrong? ............
Especially when you haven't even played with MY racket?

dman72
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Are you joking? How can you tell me what I felt? Let alone that I am right or wrong? ............
Especially when you haven't even played with MY racket?

You played with a full Kevlar job at 42 pounds, right? Not 52 or 65? big difference.

rich s
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM
You played with a full Kevlar job at 42 pounds, right? Not 52 or 65? big difference.

Kevlar is kevlar...... The stuff doesn't stretch ......it has a ridiculously high stiffness constant compared to any other string material used to make strings today (gut, nylon poly, peek, etc).....and because it has such high stiffness/high stiffness constant, any drawback on your clamps, or clamp slippage or etc that causes you to lose tension causes the tension to drop drastically in kevlar........so whether I played with a racquet that was strung at 32, 42, 52, 62, 72, 102 does not matter......the stuff is so stiff that it feels harsh regardless of tension.....even when hybrided with gut.....it feels harsh......

I'm glad you like it.......my elbow and I don't. :)

JSE
10-03-2008, 01:05 PM
so whether I played with a racquet that was strung at 32, 42, 52, 62, 72, 102 does not matter......the stuff is so stiff that it feels harsh regardless of tension.....

Have you actually played with Kevlar at lower tensions? If you did, I think would change your opinion. It's not for everyone but even at upper 40's, it's not harsh at all.

blackfrido
10-03-2008, 01:31 PM
JSE, I agree.

Theorically could be whatever people want to state but when you play with Kevlar even at lower 50's it's not harsh at all.

rick08
10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Am i corect to assume a full Kevlar increases bite because of the increased weight of the string and thus increasing racket head weight and swing weight?

Other than kevlar's weight, will it really help me generate more bite than a spin string poly strung at a lower tensions?

Richie Rich
10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
the weight of a set of strings will not drastically change SW. kevlar generates spin because it's stiff and it's textured. the durability also allow you to string with a thinner gauge so you get more spin.

all i know is if kevlar was such a great string, why don't more people use it? because, like rich s, many people tried it and realized it's just too stiff and jarring to use all the time.

smirker
10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Kevlar is kevlar...... The stuff doesn't stretch ......it has a ridiculously high stiffness constant compared to any other string material used to make strings today (gut, nylon poly, peek, etc).....and because it has such high stiffness/high stiffness constant, any drawback on your clamps, or clamp slippage or etc that causes you to lose tension causes the tension to drop drastically in kevlar........so whether I played with a racquet that was strung at 32, 42, 52, 62, 72, 102 does not matter......the stuff is so stiff that it feels harsh regardless of tension.....even when hybrided with gut.....it feels harsh......

I'm glad you like it.......my elbow and I don't. :)

They obviously don't look at the stringtest reports from the USRSA for example. One Kevlar string had a stiffness rating of 981 lbs/sq" (Prince Problend) compared to your average poly at around 260. Those who are saying Kevlar is not stiff are just wrong! Why do they use it in bulletproof vests if not? Yes, it may feel fine at low tension but that does not mean it is not doing long term damage to your elbow.

JSE
10-29-2008, 10:35 AM
They obviously don't look at the stringtest reports from the USRSA for example. One Kevlar string had a stiffness rating of 981 lbs/sq" (Prince Problend) compared to your average poly at around 260. Those who are saying Kevlar is not stiff are just wrong! Why do they use it in bulletproof vests if not? Yes, it may feel fine at low tension but that does not mean it is not doing long term damage to your elbow.

Kevlar is a stiff string, period. However, the stiffness and possible elbow issues can be reduced or even negated by stringing it at low tensions. The string themselves will always be stiff but we can reduce the stiffness of the string bed.

smirker
10-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Kevlar is a stiff string, period. However, the stiffness and possible elbow issues can be reduced or even negated by stringing it at low tensions. The string themselves will always be stiff but we can reduce the stiffness of the string bed.

Agreed, especially if used with a syn gut cross. You can't alter a string's physical properties by lowering the tension though. I think we are saying the same thing here. I have used full kevlar at relatively low tension and found it really harsh, even compared to poly. Elbow issues so multi all the way for me.