PDA

View Full Version : Restring just the mains

madgvr4
10-03-2008, 08:03 AM
I play with a hybrid string (babolat vs 16g gut in the crosses and 16g lux in the mains). I break the lux in about 3 to 5 sets. I was wondering if I can just restring the mains since the gut is still just fine. I cannot afford to keep buying the gut that often and I love this set up I get all the spin from the lux rough and it still feels good on my bad shoulder.

One other question is what are the benifites of stringing at different tensions on the mains and crosses could I get anything out of this.
THANKS

Wilson K Factor KSix-One - strung at 57

D. Dokas
10-03-2008, 08:09 AM
where are u breaking the lux?
also i highly do not recomend that u only restring the mains as u cause the frame to be pressured only in 1 place and it cause warping.

3-5 sets with lux is pretty short i think for the money ur spending u should swap it around gut mains see how u go

madgvr4
10-03-2008, 08:52 AM
If i went with the gut on the mains and lux on the crosses doesn't that eliminate the benefit of what i am trying to do, I want the soft feel and longevity of the gut and playability of the poly's. From what i have read the poly's should go on mains and gut on crosses. Just checking this out as I am new to hybrid stringing.

Thanks for the input

bsandy
10-03-2008, 09:52 AM
The real answer . . . No you can't. Not no you shouldn't.

I think you'll find that your crosses are tied to your mains. If you remove your mains, the end(s) of your crosses will come loose.

. . . Bud

Irvin
10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes you can, but you shouldn't.

I am going to assume the Lux is breaking near the head of the racket. Not you problem it is breaking it is just the way Lux breaks. I people call it 'shearing.' I don't like Lux, very brittle string. Try a different poly string, or continnue shelling out a lot of money.

Irvin

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-03-2008, 10:12 AM
double post

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes you can,
Irvin
well with the knots being on the anchor sting I don't think you can.
well at least I cant since the knot would block a main
but as what was said you should never do this.

madgvr4
10-03-2008, 11:13 AM
IRVING
You are exactly right the mains are breaking near the top part of the racket. Any suggestions on another poly or any type of string that has the spin like the lux rough.

bsandy
10-03-2008, 11:17 AM
The 800 lb gorilla.

You are shearing your crosses, because of mishits. Are you sure the 6.1 is for you ?

tennisfreak15347
10-03-2008, 11:22 AM
IRVING
You are exactly right the mains are breaking near the top part of the racket. Any suggestions on another poly or any type of string that has the spin like the lux rough.

if your breaking them at the top, arent you shanking the ball, then? Also, I highly doubt that it is possible to only re-string the mains, although it is possible to re-string the crosses. However, this should never be done... it will damage the frame. Also, if you look at the stickies, there's already a giant thread regarding this.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74551

Irvin
10-03-2008, 11:35 AM
If I were you I would just try different polys and try to find one the I like.

Reusing the gut string? Where there is a will there is a way. First time you string the racket string the mains in the normal manner. When you string the crosses run the second cross through the 9th cross (or farther) and back up to the top. This will add a foot of length to your crosses. When you take the string out and if you are really careful it will be enough to reuse the string if you really know what you are going. I would not do this either if I were you. There are a lot of problems that could come up.

The gut strings do not add as much feel as maybe you think they do it in crosses. Most of the feel come from the main strings. Try something like Wilson K Gut in the crosses. TW has a sale on them now 125' for $35. That should be enough to do six string jobs at only 6$ per job plus the poly.

As far as the different string tension question. Poly strings are stiffer and have less power than other strings. So the poly strings are normally strung at lower tensions to make up for that power loss.

Irvin

madgvr4
10-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Thx for the reply Irving, I will check out the other thread that was linked to see what has already been said on this subject.

Bsandy - Please read the post and respond to the question not an assuption on what raquet you think i should be using. It was the mains not the crosses I am breaking. Just so you know the last 3 i broke were all on returns of wide serves on the duece side.

Thanks guys I will cut the strings out and try a few other combinations.

Irvin
10-03-2008, 11:43 AM
SHEARING? Give me a break. I have seen lux break while stringing it at the top of the racket before the crosses were ever put in. Lots of issues about whey they break but I don't think it is mishits. Many mishits are on the sides of the racket. Why don't poly crosses break as much? I seen Rafa break a main poly string a few weeks ago in the second game of a match and it wasn't on a mishit.

Irvin

tennisfreak15347
10-03-2008, 11:47 AM
SHEARING? Give me a break. I have seen lux break while stringing it at the top of the racket before the crosses were ever put in. Lots of issues about whey they break but I don't think it is mishits. Many mishits are on the sides of the racket. Why don't poly crosses break as much? I seen Rafa break a main poly string a few weeks ago in the second game of a match and it wasn't on a mishit.

Irvin

no... mis-hits can often happen at the top of the frame on the mains, also. In fact, that's more common.

Irvin
10-03-2008, 04:25 PM
if your breaking them at the top, arent you shanking the ball, then?

Take a look at the Weird String Breaking... thread and tell me if you think that was caused by a mishit. I rest my case.

Irvin

Tim W
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
The mishits on the side of the frame are far less of a concern than up at the top of the head. The racquet can torque when you frame it on the side, when it's up the top of the head, it can't.
I believe that the breakages on the side of the frame are where the string isn't sitting flush along the grommets, and when you sc**** it along the ground, it scuffs and weakens the string. So then, when you do frame it on the side, even if the racquet still torques, it can still break.
Think about it, when you tension the Lux, the tensioner moves 1/4 of the way of if you were stringing, say SG or NG. This is because Lux has NO give. So of course, it can break very easily on a mishit.

supertrex
10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
if your tension is low why not?

But if its 50+ then you might see indentation on the string.

Ofcourse lossing tension when u take the cross out. If your gonna have to keep the mains... then u might wanna string ur cross with more tension to compensate some of the tension loss on the mains.

:)