PDA

View Full Version : full poly vs gut hybrid

rscottdds
10-03-2008, 09:56 AM
My son plays with a Pure Storm Tour+ strung with Big Ace 1.22mm (18g). He's happy with this set up but got a bunch of Babolat VS Gut/ Hurricane Tour sets (1.30 mm, 16g) in a players pakage. He's going to play around with different combinations to see for himself but I have a few questions:

How is the gut/poly hybrid going to differ from his normal full poly set-up in terms of playability? How is going from 18g full poly to 16g hybrid going to play? How is a gut main going to differ from a gut cross?

One of the guys on his team has this same gut/poly combo with poly in the mains and swears by this set-up. I was always told that gut in the x's was a waste.

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Part of me is hoping that he won't like gut at all because he goes through strings pretty fast and a full Big Ace job is certainly cheaper than a gut hybrid :-)

-Robert

rscottdds
10-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Maybe I'll ask it a different way. Has anyone whose used a full poly job gone to:
A) Hybrid with gut mains/poly cross
or
B) Hybrid with poly mains/gut crosses.

Which one did you prefer and why?
-Robert

mrmo1115
10-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I use PHT in the mains and Natural Gut in the crosses
The only problem I have is that after 2 weeks of serious playing including tournaments, the strings start to die mostly the PHT.

rscottdds
10-04-2008, 10:34 PM
The only problem I have is that after 2 weeks of serious playing including tournaments, the strings start to die mostly the PHT.

That's certainly the case with a full poly job. Have you ever tried Gut mains?
-Robert

pow
10-05-2008, 04:04 AM
My son plays with a Pure Storm Tour+ strung with Big Ace 1.22mm (18g). He's happy with this set up but got a bunch of Babolat VS Gut/ Hurricane Tour sets (1.30 mm, 16g) in a players pakage. He's going to play around with different combinations to see for himself but I have a few questions:

How is the gut/poly hybrid going to differ from his normal full poly set-up in terms of playability? How is going from 18g full poly to 16g hybrid going to play? How is a gut main going to differ from a gut cross?

One of the guys on his team has this same gut/poly combo with poly in the mains and swears by this set-up. I was always told that gut in the x's was a waste.

Part of me is hoping that he won't like gut at all because he goes through strings pretty fast and a full Big Ace job is certainly cheaper than a gut hybrid :-)

-Robert

I went from 1.15mm Pro Line II full poly job to trying gut mains / poly crosses (Legend 16 m/ Pro Line II 1.25mm x) Both are great, the thin poly wasn't too harsh but it was tiring at times. I really like the gut / poly crosses combo, it's more powerful so I am not getting fatigued as much and I like the feel very very much. The feel on the full poly doesn't happen to be too bad either considering it's a soft poly in a thin gauge. I'm not much of a string breaker so I think that may be a problem for some people switching to gut. I can't say which I like more, they both have their advantages. Poly = more spin, more control, and can swing out more. Gut hybrid = more feel, more pop, and more comfortable.

Murray_Maniac
10-05-2008, 05:53 AM
From what Ive heard about nat. gut mains and poly crosses, you get more feel, but since the mains get more wear, this hybrid is more likely to break as natural gut is not as durable as polys.

rscottdds
10-05-2008, 08:30 AM
they both have their advantages. Poly = more spin, more control, and can swing out more. Gut hybrid = more feel, more pop, and more comfortable.

I think that's why he's settled on a full poly job. He likes the spin,control, hit away aspect of polys. In that reguard poly in the mains would probably be more to his liking since the mains dictate most of the playability characteristics of a string job. I'm just not sure that going from poly to poly mains/gut x's is worth it in the long run.

From what Ive heard about nat. gut mains and poly crosses, you get more feel, but since the mains get more wear, this hybrid is more likely to break as natural gut is not as durable as polys.

He does break a full poly job fairly quickly but polys go dead fairly quickly too. About the time they break its time to restring anyway. He'll be going from 18g to 16g so that will help a bit on durability although it certainly won't be as durable as a full poly job.

Thanks for the input. Anybody else want to add anything?

-Robert

[K]aotic
10-05-2008, 11:08 AM
actually i've found it to be different. i've noticed that the mains don't fray as much. gut itself doesn't just snap, you have to wear it down. as a result this set up lasts way longer than the poly mains and gut crosses.

rscottdds
10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
aotic;2762112']actually i've found it to be different. i've noticed that the mains don't fray as much. gut itself doesn't just snap, you have to wear it down. as a result this set up lasts way longer than the poly mains and gut crosses.

How different does it play? (gut mains vs poly mains)?

b0oMeR
10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
How different does it play? (gut mains vs poly mains)?

I find that with poly mains its much softer on the arm and when the poly is on the crosses it feels a bit stiffer. However I play with full poly which i truly enjoy.

pow
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I almost regret saying that full poly has more control earlier because it makes it sound like gut does not have enough control in contrast which is not what I am suggesting. With the gut/poly hybrid, I've been playing some great doubles as the balls coming off my strings in a more explosive manner.

Pusher
10-06-2008, 03:26 AM

-Robert

Gut/poly hybrids are discussed a lot on this board. You can find a lot of info just by doing a quick search.

Briefly, a gut/poly (gut mains/poly X's) hybrid will have more power, more feel and better durability than the BA 1.22 your son is using. BA 1.22 is not durable and the BA 1.25 is a better string IMO.

A poly/gut hybrid will have slightly less power and feel than the gut/poly hybrid. Tour mains and VS crosses make a great hybrid. VS is not a waste in the X's.

Both the Tour and VS are top of market strings and if the price differential is manageable I would certainly opt for the Tour and VS.

rscottdds
10-06-2008, 09:22 AM
BA 1.22 is not durable and the BA 1.25 is a better string IMO..

He likes the playability of the thinner BA 1.22 string better and it seems to go dead right about the time he breaks it. If the playabitity of the poly/gut hybrid is longer that will be a big plus.

Tour mains and VS crosses make a great hybrid. VS is not a waste in the X's..

That's good to hear. Other than his teamate who swears by this combo I've heard it was a waste

Both the Tour and VS are top of market strings and if the price differential is manageable I would certainly opt for the Tour and VS.

It would be about 5X the cost to do the hybrid as opposed to the BA. I guess he'll have to string a few more racquets for people :-)

-Robert

rscottdds
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
VS is not a waste in the X's.

BTW with polys losing tension faster than gut what are your recomendations for stringing tensions? Do you still want to string the poly mains at a lower tension than the gut crosses?
-Robert

Pusher
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
BTW with polys losing tension faster than gut what are your recomendations for stringing tensions? Do you still want to string the poly mains at a lower tension than the gut crosses?
-Robert

Yes, I would string the polys maybe 2-3lbs lower than the gut. The tension loss with the polys will be somewhat mitigated by the gut. You want to consider the entire stringbed-not just a X or main.

rscottdds
10-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, I would string the polys maybe 2-3lbs lower than the gut. .

If he strings his Big Ace 1.22mm at 57 what would you think he should string the 16g poly/gut hybrid at? 58 gut / 56 poly?
-Robert

rscottdds
10-10-2008, 08:56 AM
If he strings his Big Ace 1.22mm at 57 what would you think he should string the 16g poly/gut hybrid at? 58 gut / 56 poly?
-Robert

Anyone have input as to what tension he should string the 16g poly/gut hybrid if he's used to a full 18g poly at 57?
-Robert