PDA

View Full Version : Any point of changing tension for different syntguts?

morten
10-03-2008, 09:30 AM
going from Gosen og sheep to Prince syntgut original, same gauge..

urbo73
10-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Look here to see how much initial tension each strings loses:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200709/stringmap_nylon.html

And then strings accordingly.

bsandy
10-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I guess we need to ask, why you're switching, first.

. . . Bud

Irvin
10-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I think it is a great idea to play test different strings with different tensions. How else do you know what you are going to like?

Irvin

morten
10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
well i am out of gosen, but did not like it too much.

bsandy
10-03-2008, 11:14 AM
What didn't you like about it ?

. . . Bud

tennisfreak15347
10-03-2008, 11:16 AM
well i am out of gosen, but did not like it too much.

neither did I. I bought the Gosen OG reel, which, when I called Gosen, they claimed it to be Gosen OG sheep. it lost far too much tension after only 5 hours of hitting.

Cup8489
10-03-2008, 11:18 AM
neither did I. I bought the Gosen OG reel, which, when I called Gosen, they claimed it to be Gosen OG sheep. it lost far too much tension after only 5 hours of hitting.

really? i have the 17 gauge reel, and i dont notice much tension loss at all. in fact, i took my sticks out today, one was strung yesterday at the same tension as the more worn racquet i had in the bag, and i noticed only a very slight difference. couldnt tell it when playing, but could hear it (the worn string has been in about 4 sets)

morten
10-03-2008, 11:37 AM
so, should i keep the same tension?

tennisfreak15347
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm suspicious that the 16g OG Sheep Micro reel only cost 29.99, but when I called Gosen, they told me it was Gosen OG Sheep Micro, not regular OG micro. I dont see any of the spirals in the string, unlike OG Sheep, so I only use it as practice string now. Also, to morten, keeping the same tension would be fine. POSG tension loss= 11%. OG-sheep micro tension loss= 12%, so stringing it the same tension would do fine. here's the site for reference.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200709/stringmap_nylon.html

morten
10-03-2008, 12:34 PM
thanks tennisfreak :)

Valjean
10-03-2008, 03:11 PM
OTOH in the same place (and by my experience) POSG is stiffer than that Gosen string, which is the way I'd determine my tension.

XxduckxX
10-03-2008, 06:50 PM
psgd seemed better on tension than gosen

Stannie
10-03-2008, 10:52 PM
I really like Gosen strings, but the OG Sheep, I always get clear or natural. The white has a weird coating one it...

rich s
10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
going from Gosen og sheep to Prince syntgut original, same gauge..

Only change one thing at a time so you know what affect each has on the change.

Change strings........keep the tension of the new string at the same tension as the old strings.

Play for a while and then decide whether to increase or decrease tension after you have played with them.

When you change multiple things at the same time you have no reference point as to what each change contributed to the end result. Change things one at a time and you'll know exactly what impact each variable has on the end result.

Nanshiki
10-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I guess it kind of figures that X-1 Biphase would have the best ratio of tension loss to softness... (as an 18 gauge)

Valjean
10-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Only change one thing at a time so you know what affect each has on the change.

Change strings........keep the tension of the new string at the same tension as the old strings.

Play for a while and then decide whether to increase or decrease tension after you have played with them.

When you change multiple things at the same time you have no reference point as to what each change contributed to the end result. Change things one at a time and you'll know exactly what impact each variable has on the end result.
This doesn't have the same relevance when staying within the same string category--in this case, solid-core, single-wrap synthetic gut--and with two strings as alike as these two, now does it? I mean, these little rules are meant to be helpful, and still they can require individual judgments by you on a case-by-case level...

rich s
10-04-2008, 04:38 PM
This doesn't have the same relevance when staying within the same string category--in this case, solid-core, single-wrap synthetic gut--and with two strings as alike as these two, now does it? I mean, these little rules are meant to be helpful, and still they can require individual judgments by you on a case-by-case level...

Do you work at being a condescending a-- or does it come naturally?

These "little rules" are the basis of experimentation otherwise you have no idea as to the effects of the variables in play, now do you?

We may not be talking about aircraft, ships, quantum physics or something as equally complex but the approach is the same none-the-less.

Valjean
10-05-2008, 05:06 AM
Your condescension arises, for me, from your speaking in mere generalities to someone with a specific need. Any "rule of thumb" needs to be *applied*, usually with some attention to details like what we're talking of. And that's sort of a "rule of life" we all can learn by.

And, stay off-topic more, can you, by the way?