PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Prince O3 w/o boomerang

Irvin
10-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I bought a new Prince O3 Hybrid Tour racket and dodn't have the correct boomerang to string the racket and can't get one. Prince puts the customer first selling rackets that can't be properly strung with the correct tools.

I strung the racket by pulling tension on the two strings at a time and clamping the first one. BID MISTAKE strings moved all over the place. HUGE tension loss.

I have seen on this forum a 'Sharpie' can be used in place of a boomerang. I did not want a 'Sharpie' exploding and doing a paint job on my new racket. I was going to use a wood dowel but chose to use a screwdriver I have on hand instead. I assume a deep well socket would probably work also.

The hard round object (dowel, socket, screwdriver, etc...) that you use is placed between the the last string you tensioned and the one you are pulling tension on. This 'Spacer,' if the width is appropriate, will hold the strings the correct distance apart so you can clamp the tensioned string. I think it works much better than the boomerang.

The diameter of the 'Spacer' should be about the distance between the cross strings you need to separate.

Irvin

10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf_7lfBnOIA

jim e
10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I bought a new Prince O3 Hybrid Tour racket and dodn't have the correct boomerang to string the racket and can't get one. Prince puts the customer first selling rackets that can't be properly strung with the correct tools.

I strung the racket by pulling tension on the two strings at a time and clamping the first one. BID MISTAKE strings moved all over the place. HUGE tension loss.

I have seen on this forum a 'Sharpie' can be used in place of a boomerang. I did not want a 'Sharpie' exploding and doing a paint job on my new racket. I was going to use a wood dowel but chose to use a screwdriver I have on hand instead. I assume a deep well socket would probably work also.

The hard round object (dowel, socket, screwdriver, etc...) that you use is placed between the the last string you tensioned and the one you are pulling tension on. This 'Spacer,' if the width is appropriate, will hold the strings the correct distance apart so you can clamp the tensioned string. I think it works much better than the boomerang.

The diameter of the 'Spacer' should be about the distance between the cross strings you need to separate.

Irvin

What you said is correct, on the other stringers forum, they designed a plastic block the thickness of the space between the crosses(look at the gss site and do a search), the block with a small pin works great without the boomerange tool, as the stringers on that site were concerned that the turntable break tecnnique was causing the tension being pulled at severe angles, was causing the screws to break on the tension clamp, on the babolat, and prince machines. But keep in mind that these guys are stringing a good # of the O3 racquets, not just a few here and there.So they were seeing the consequences of stringing a good # of these with locking the break over time.As a good # of stringers do just use the break to lock the turntable in the proper position and forget using any tool.If you use the break, you can lock the table in proper spot to pull string at proper position. But a block, or sharpie cap, or similar size object placed between the tensioned cross and the last cross will keep the spacing proper so you can string without a boomerange, or break.
You are correct as well, prince sells the racquets , but not the tool that they say is required, at least the smaller orange boomerang is discontinued,(they will send you the larger grey one, there are 2 sizes), but using the break, or block, or sharpie cap, or similar size object between the strings all will work.I just made a block like they made on the gss site, and no problems.
Good luck!

brownbearfalling
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
You don't put the shapie pen in there. Just the cap
________
BRUNETTE SPANISH (http://www.****tube.com/categories/443/spanish/videos/1)

Irvin
10-05-2008, 07:09 AM
I looked at the link on you tube and the person that made that video thought the sharpie string went in the racket hole like the boomerang. That is not where it goes. It is actually placed perpendicular to the strings between the last string tensioned and the string you are pulling tension on. I am not saying a sharpie would not work. If it didn't work everyone would not recommend it. But that top is made of plastic and is not as smooth or as hard and metal.

I like the round metal object because the string moves on it better and it holds the string being tensioned near to bottom of the string hole.

Irvin

ls206
10-05-2008, 07:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmE4qF7vggQ&fmt=18
In that video ^ the guy says that you can get a boomerang tool from Prince directly

jim e
10-05-2008, 08:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmE4qF7vggQ&fmt=18
In that video ^ the guy says that you can get a boomerang tool from Prince directly

Yes , Prince will send you the larger size boomerang, but not the orange smaller one that is used on some of their racquets, as they don't have them any more, they told me that they thought that all stringers should have had them by now and they will not be getting any, and was surprised that I needed one, I told him that was a lame excuse for not having any.
Anyways, you really don't need one, if you use the break, or make a block like on the gss site, as that works better than the boomerang.

jim e
10-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Actually it seems to me that the boomerang causes more friction the way the string wraps around it, and being so it would cause an undetermined amount of tension loss, to the strings it was used on.
The block seems to cause less of a frictional problem, as the block I made is of smooth acrylic, and the string just glides across it, you don't have to worry about it coming out of any hole, and it works.Even using the break is better than the boomerang.

siow_a
10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Actually it seems to me that the boomerang causes more friction the way the string wraps around it, and being so it would cause an undetermined amount of tension loss, to the strings it was used on.
The block seems to cause less of a frictional problem, as the block I made is of smooth acrylic, and the string just glides across it, you don't have to worry about it coming out of any hole, and it works.Even using the break is better than the boomerang.

Go with the brake on your stringing machine...faster and easier. I have a Babolat Star 2/3 and they work fine on them.

Irvin
10-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I appreciate all the suggestions but I am going to stick with the screwdriver I used to string all O3 rackets. I can't imagine the brake, holding the racket, or even the boomerang being any faster.

After stringing the racket with the screwdriver at mid-range I fell like I will go down in tension the next time I string it. Most of the time I am a few pounds over mid-range. If I were to use the break and pull the string in a straight line I feel like the tension on the top strings will be even tighter than they are now due to no string friction caused by whatever I use to hold the string in the proper position for clamping, and pulling the string at an angle around the screwdriver.

Thanks again for your input,

Irvin

mikeler
10-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I use the brake, but I cannot quite get it to tighten perfectly. So I also have to use one of my hands to steady the handle of the racket so the string pulls straight through the O-ports. It is a little odd at first, but you get used to it by the time you string your 2nd racket.

Blade0324
10-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I just use my hip to hold the table in place while tensioning. It works just as good as using the break but is much faster.

jim e
10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I just use my hip to hold the table in place while tensioning. It works just as good as using the break but is much faster.

That is fine if you use a constant pull machine, but if it a lock out, there will be tension inconsistancies as the racquet can move slightly with hip movement even slightly after it locks out, and that will change tension.

tennisdarren
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
String it 2 piece 50/50. The crosses naturally pull into proper position and you don't need a brake, boomerang, sharpie, screwdriver, wood block, your hip, your grandmothers hip :???:, or clean underwear :shock: to get it right.

jim e
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
String it 2 piece 50/50. The crosses naturally pull into proper position and you don't need a brake, boomerang, sharpie, screwdriver, wood block, your hip, your grandmothers hip :???:, or clean underwear :shock: to get it right.

Amen to that Tennisdarren, but dirty underwear, especially after a good sweaty match may not be a bad idea! Grandmothers hip?

tennisdarren
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I counted good old granny in because of the 7 lbs. of titanium in her "magic hip" :twisted:

jhusein
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Irvin[/QUOTE]

I asked Prince for the Orange Boomerang 3 months ago!!!! I received it yesterday. Call them again and ask for it, if they say they do not have it, I have one that was given to me by iplaybetter from this forum and I can send it to you.

Irvin
10-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I asked Prince for the Orange Boomerang 3 months ago!!!! I received it yesterday. Call them again and ask for it, if they say they do not have it, I have one that was given to me by iplaybetter from this forum and I can send it to you.

I just called last week and they do not have them. I like either the screwdriver or the 50/50 method, but thanks for the offer jhusein.

Irvin