PDA

View Full Version : Front Calf

Serve n' Volley
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi, the front of my calf is really tight (I noticed this after i got a massage on my leg because of a pulled muscle) and the person said I could get shin splints from this. Any ways to loosen it up?

Thanks!

SystemicAnomaly
10-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Bump. (Will try to answer this in the next day or 2)

phucng_10
10-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Sorry to intrude, but when I'm walking to school in the morning, I feel a little pain in my front calf, but when I stop and wait for a minute or two, it goes away. Is that a sign of shin splints?

chrishin
10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
hmmm to be correct it's tibialis anterior muscle.
mine started hurting after i twisted my ankle few times in a same day while playing badminton for my high school, and never came back to normal.
Now the muscle is fairly okay but if i run on track for 2 + miles (fast) it hurts, and play bit more of badminton (yes it's quite cold up here) hurts for around a week.
went to my doctor, but he has not mentioned shin splint, but says that i've apparently over used my muscle and told me to take bout a month off badminton, but didn't help.

now shin splint is extremely painful, and for the most of time will take operation to fix.

i tried hot and cold water. Cold when it hurts and warm when it's stiff. works for me.

and as to exercising i've compromised by making my stride length much shorter and slowing down.

hope it helps

(oh and right now considering changing running shoes or at least the insole)

SystemicAnomaly
10-06-2008, 04:03 AM
Sorry to intrude, but when I'm walking to school in the morning, I feel a little pain in my front calf, but when I stop and wait for a minute or two, it goes away. Is that a sign of shin splints?

Possibly shin splints. Are your shoes in good shape? Does your heel hit the ground hard when you walk? Check the following for more info:

Shin Splints (MTSS) in Brief (http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/calf_and_shin/shin_splints_sum.php)

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2449515 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2449515)

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2071375 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2071375)

princemidplus
10-06-2008, 04:34 AM
try ice on your shins when they hurt. also try stretching both the soleus and gastrocnemius muscles in your calf at the back as tension in these muscles can lead to shin splits.

If you do not roll your foot from heel to toe when walking but rather slap it down altogether then you are also more likely to get shin splits.

albino smurf
10-06-2008, 05:39 AM
My PT said to build up arch support in my

TnTBigman
10-06-2008, 05:51 AM
yep. its shin splints. when i started to incorporate running in my cardio plan, i used ot suffer from em. stretching and weighted calf raises will prevent that. do one calf at a time.

Serve n' Volley
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
How do I "Untighten" this muscle?

SystemicAnomaly
10-07-2008, 03:02 AM
How do I "Untighten" this muscle?

Did you take a look a the links that I provided above -- 5 or 6 links in all. One or more of them have shin stretches (or links to shin stretches). I would recommend doing some static stretches of the tibialis & calf muscles at home, before leaving for the courts. Static stretches are best if performed 30 to 60 minutes prior to tennis according to many exercise experts. They should be done again after tennis as a cool down.

Also try standing in a warm/hot shower before heading of to the courts to help warm up & loosen up your shin muscles. You can perform both static and dynamic stretches of the lower legs as you let the warm water run on those tight muscles. Massaging the those tight muscles might also help.

Once you get to the courts, warm up some more and include more dynamic stretching. While sitting (or standing) flex and extend your feet in a continuous manner to work the muscle of the calf and the shins. While standing on a curb or bench, perform some dynamic toe raisers -- be sure to let your heels drop lower than the rest of the (flexed) foot in order to work the shin muscles (while stretching the calf muscles). Heel walking might also help -- walk around on your heels for a while (with your toes & rest of your foot off the ground).

You might also try some bike riding prior to tennis -- or stop at the gym to work on an exercise bike. Be sure that your bicycle seat if adjusted high enough to that you are "ankling" at the bottom position -- this allows the foot to extend and flex as you are cycling -- the shin muscles should contract and then relax on each cycle.