PDA

View Full Version : Stringers Perspective: Stringing BB ALU in X's

jamauss
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm curious...

Are there any other stringers out there that feel like stringing BB ALU in the crosses is a serious pain in the neck? I don't mind doing it in the mains because there's no weaving but in the X's it's just plain frustrating. It probably doubles my time in weaving the X's. The string has the resiliency of pipe cleaner and whatever coating is used makes it pretty slick as well. I imagine this is an issue with more than just the ALU line of BB strings but ALU is what seems to be the most commonly used BB string lately.

Any other stringers share in my frustration as well?

2ndserveace
10-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, the people who string for me complain about it all the time. But they say that the rough part is the main problem since I use Alu Rough. I feel bad for them. Luckily for them, I'm switching strings so their pain won't be for much longer.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
oh its a pain in the *** lol with out a doubt but once you get your groove crosses take like 15minutes alu rough that one hurts my fingers

Quikj
10-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah, it's a pain. I don't understand why it's in the mains at all. Too me if you're not using poly in the mains, you're getting rid of two of it's main benefits.

1) It doesn't increase your spin potential as your cross strings don't inflict spin on the ball.

2) It's not a very durable setup, as the poly just bites into the softer main string.

I could see how it might give nice control though as the stiff crosses might direct the ball nicely, but I would think the same results could be accomplished through stringing a multi on the tighter end of the spectrum.

ag200boy
10-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Yeah, it's a pain. I don't understand why it's in the mains at all. Too me if you're not using poly in the mains, you're getting rid of two of it's main benefits.

1) It doesn't increase your spin potential as your cross strings don't inflict spin on the ball.

2) It's not a very durable setup, as the poly just bites into the softer main string.

I could see how it might give nice control though as the stiff crosses might direct the ball nicely, but I would think the same results could be accomplished through stringing a multi on the tighter end of the spectrum.

because they want a softer feel then poly with lower power and like you said, more control

NadalFan1990
10-04-2008, 01:51 PM
i've never strung with any of the BB ALU strings yet, but I am going to try the ALU Power strings on my rackets the next time I need to restring my rackets. But if anyone wants me to string with a string like the ALU strings or a poly like Pro Hurricane, which hurt my fingers on the crosses as well, I will charge customers more to string those in the crosses to make it worth the pain

zidane339
10-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I have a friend that I string for that breaks it every two weeks, and its a pain every time I do it. The coating makes it impossible for my sweaty fingers to finger weave. He's trying out rough now so its even worse for me. Like stringing barbed wire

b0oMeR
10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a friend that I string for that breaks it every two weeks, and its a pain every time I do it. The coating makes it impossible for my sweaty fingers to finger weave. He's trying out rough now so its even worse for me. Like stringing barbed wire

Stringing barbed wire... I wanna try that.