PDA

View Full Version : First Time Stringing Natural Gut

Il Mostro
10-03-2008, 09:55 PM
So far I have only been stringing multi's and sg's. I will string natural gut for the first time over the weekend.

I know to avoid string burn and also avoid any kinks in the string. I have an electronic machine with 3 speeds for pulling string. Should I go with the slow speed or the medium speed? I am going 3 pounds over my tension for multi -- sound right?

Anything else that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

dancraig
10-03-2008, 10:04 PM

Don't pull too hard when you cinch up the knots. The gut can snap.

dancraig
10-03-2008, 10:10 PM

You might want to not hold the end of the string while pulling tension. If you let it fall to the floor it will naturally untwist. This may help you avoid kinks and/or the unraveling of the gut.

jim e
10-04-2008, 06:27 AM
I usually place the gut coil over my wrist, cut the plastic tie, and let it unravel around my wrist, as this helps avoid tangles. I then measure out the length needed, place the one end in the machine clamp, walk back, and then manually slightly pre stretch the gut, just enough to feel the string go limp, it does not take much, as this will help reduce some of the coil memory, and makes the stringing easier.(I know some like to pre stretch, and others don't, It is a preference, I only slightly do it, as it does not take much). If you do pre stretch, and do the 2 pieces separatly, be sure that you do both pieces, and not just one.
Just be careful with kinks, watch for them, and you will be ok.
I normally use the medium speed for gut stringing, just a preference I guess.
3 lbs. over a multi.is a good starting point.
I started to string at 4 lbs.over muli.tension, and over time I have increased it to 8 lbs.over. Just a preference with that as well.I have even cut out gut strings from a couple of my racquets that I did not even hit with, just to increase tension, when I was playing around with different tensions.That was the problem with having a # of racquets, and wanting them all the same.
And as the above poster stated do not pull extra hard on the knot tie off, as the string can snap, but also pull in direction of your shoulder, as if you get in that habit, if the string ever breaks, or pliers slips, you will not end up with your pliers in your face, as I was told that that has happened to stringers out there ,and that is a frequent accident.
Enjoy the strings!!!!

AT92292
10-04-2008, 07:56 AM
I know everyone here is against pre stretching but I did on a pole before I did my first natural gut job (only on the cross) but it made such a huge difference it was like stringing synthetic gut it was so easy u still have to be careful but one time it kinked on me and i just twisted it around and it unkinked it makes a huge difference

Il Mostro
10-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks to all of you for sharing the very useful information. I will have a go at it tonight or tomorrow.

rich s
10-04-2008, 11:31 AM
So far I have only been stringing multi's and sg's. I will string natural gut for the first time over the weekend.

I know to avoid string burn and also avoid any kinks in the string. I have an electronic machine with 3 speeds for pulling string. Should I go with the slow speed or the medium speed? I am going 3 pounds over my tension for multi -- sound right?

Here are some of my experiences:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=147002&postcount=3

supertrex
10-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks needed this bigtime.:)

Il Mostro
10-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Thanks Rich -- super resource.

carguy
10-05-2008, 06:21 AM
1. do not use an awl to widen the grommet as you run the risk of damaging the string (and causing it to snap). widen the hole for the cross tie-off before you start stringing or use lip balm as a lubricant.

2. make sure your grommets are in good shape as damaged one can cause early abrasion and saw through the gut.

Il Mostro
10-05-2008, 06:47 AM
^^^^^
The grommets are in great shape. I will definitely use your lip balm tip and work on the tie off grommets before starting. Thank you.

YULitle
10-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Let us know how it turns out Il Mostro :D

iplaybetter
10-05-2008, 07:09 AM
take it slow, and be woried, fear is your freind the first fewe times, avoid kinking and string smoothly when you are pulling string throuhg and your reaching the end of the slack, slow down and make sure its right or else youl kink it, and do use the slow pull settin, itle be painfully slow but i wouldent risk anything else

do tell us how it goes

Il Mostro
10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Ok guys, I took my time and all went well. I used a couple of new tricks for me... the nail polish after the cut and the chapstick for the string tips and the tie off grommets. Yes, I had the "wrestle" with it a little more than my usual multi's but took my time and was very careful in how I handled the string. Not a bad experience at all.

I played with the 17g VS Team in my TFlash 310 today and it was sweet. The bite and cupping were amazing. I am a very happy camper.

Just received two packs of Klip Armour 17g today and will string and play with them at a later date. For now, VS Team is damn, damn good.

Thanks for all the good advice.

jim e
10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm glad it went well, and more so that you enjoy the strings!
The only thing now is you will not want any other string after using what you now have.Everything you hit with(non gut) from now on you will compare to what you have now, and nothing will be the same.
Happy hitting!!!!

Il Mostro
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
^^^^^^^

Jim, you are right on. Once I got the feel of the full gut set-up is hard to go back to even good multi. Example: big improvement in the feel of my is return of serve -- walking in, split step, grip it & rip it is so much nicer with full gut. Topspin is even better than my top-shelf multi's. Power seems not only more accessible, but more controllable too.