PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar/Synthetic Gut hybrid is severely stiff and underpowered

ogruskie
10-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Today was the first time I played with this combo (strung at 48 lbs). I'm a bit bipolar on these strings. They are severely stiff, and are highly underpowered. I can appreciate the lack of power sometimes, but there are occasions when I could use a little more juice.

These strings are very demanding. I have to put it my full effort into every shot to truly bang some heaters. Otherwise I hit balls that are basically sitting ducks on the other side of the court.

Will they get a little softer and more playable with time?

TonyB
10-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Nope. That's pretty much it. Low powered and fairly stiff. If you want a bit more power and comfort, you really need to go into the very low 40s. And even then you have to hit fairly hard to get decent pace.

It could be that those strings just aren't right for your frame and your game.

ogruskie
10-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Nope. That's pretty much it. Low powered and fairly stiff. If you want a bit more power and comfort, you really need to go into the very low 40s. And even then you have to hit fairly hard to get decent pace.

It could be that those strings just aren't right for your frame and your game.

I had a hybrid of Big Ace and X-One Biphase earlier. It was comfortable, but had too much uncontrollable power, even strung at 60. The KBT is underpowered as is, and the strings further promote this quality. I guess I could get used to it...

tennisfreak15347
10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I had a hybrid of Big Ace and X-One Biphase earlier. It was comfortable, but had too much uncontrollable power, even strung at 60. The KBT is underpowered as is, and the strings further promote this quality. I guess I could get used to it...

try to keep playing with it for now; I think i've recalled a few kelvar-hybrid users claiming that the kelvar softens up a bit after a few hours.

ogruskie
10-04-2008, 09:57 PM
try to keep playing with it for now; I think i've recalled a few kelvar-hybrid users claiming that the kelvar softens up a bit after a few hours.

I see what you mean. It took me about 3 hours of hard hitting to truly break into the softness. The spin is ****ing insane.

phucng_10
10-04-2008, 10:47 PM

I'll agree. My Kevlar isn't as stiff as it was before anymore (I think it took me about a week to actually break in to it). You might want to also try to hit with it a lot since it softens up if you don't hit it for awhile. Happens to me, but when I return heavy flat forehands from my friend, my Kevlar feels harder then when I first began hitting with it.

Also the bite is great and I've been using it for the past 5-6 months. Great durability + superb bite = GOD DAMN AWESOME! Pretty much, it's dead strings. You have to put your own effort and power into your shots to actually get your Kevlar to cooperate with you. :)

Anyways, have fun with your Kevlar set-up because I know I'm loving mines!

appppppppple
10-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I'll agree. My Kevlar isn't as stiff as it was before anymore (I think it took me about a week to actually break in to it). You might want to also try to hit with it a lot since it softens up if you don't hit it for awhile. Happens to me, but when I return heavy flat forehands from my friend, my Kevlar feels harder then when I first began hitting with it.

Also the bite is great and I've been using it for the past 5-6 months. Great durability + superb bite = GOD DAMN AWESOME! Pretty much, it's dead strings. You have to put your own effort and power into your shots to actually get your Kevlar to cooperate with you. :)

Anyways, have fun with your Kevlar set-up because I know I'm loving mines!

WAIT! how does kevlar bite compared to some polys IE hurricanes, cause i have kevlar strung on my racket and i've broken the kevlar once but i didnt notice any extra bite. I've used poly once but i didnt hit long enough to compare the two

phucng_10
10-04-2008, 11:03 PM
WAIT! how does kevlar bite compared to some polys IE hurricanes, cause i have kevlar strung on my racket and i've broken the kevlar once but i didnt notice any extra bite. I've used poly once but i didnt hit long enough to compare the two

How long were you playing with Kevlar before it "broke"? The bite on it is superb, better then most strings I've played with. I haven't tried Blue Gear yet (which a lot of players say is the best bite strings available at the moment) so I don't exactly know how to compare it with Polyester strings.