PDA

View Full Version : Can Different Colored Strings Really Make a Difference?

Mdubb23
10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I have heard from many people that different colors of the same string actually do alter the feel of the string. Is this true? I'm a little skeptical, because the colors are just dye, but maybe that dye really can make a difference. The only reason I'm asking is that I want to switch from the X-one Biphase 17 natural color on my crosses to the red (for aesthetical purposes :)) and I just want to make sure that the red won't change the feel. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

strahan918
10-04-2008, 08:50 PM
My understanding is that between natural or natural-ish colors and dyed colors is that strings with dyes(or whatever they use to color the strings) stiffens the strings. I had Gosen Micro in natural and white, and I thought the white was a lot more stiff/crisp, but thats just me.

Mdubb23
10-04-2008, 08:59 PM
My understanding is that between natural or natural-ish colors and dyed colors is that strings with dyes(or whatever they use to color the strings) stiffens the strings. I had Gosen Micro in natural and white, and I thought the white was a lot more stiff/crisp, but thats just me.

What do you mean by "stiffen"? Make more or less powerful? More or less durable? Do you simply mean they move less? Or that there isn't as plush of a feel when hitting?

counter_puncher
10-04-2008, 10:28 PM
i would say they have no difference that you will actually feel.

phucng_10
10-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, hitting with my friends yellow Forton Nylons and my black Forton Nylons didn't have much of a difference. Only difference I saw was that the yellow Forton Nylons looked ugly on his Dunlop MFil 200. :-|

Toxicmilk
10-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I think if you feel any huge difference, it's probably all mental.

Infl8edEg0
10-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Personally I think it does. Or at least my family. We have 3 colors of Klippermate SynGut strings, yellow, white, purple. White seems more "crisp" to me, and lasts the shortest amount of time. Purple felt more stiffer to me, with somehow a little less control. Also seemed to last longer than the other 2. Yellow was in between in durability and softness. The rest of my family feels the same. I don't know if it's just our mental state, but that's our take on it.

valluk
10-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I have used both the white and red x-one. The white is much crisper, more powerful and stiffer. The red one is softer and had better ball pocketing. But as I look for crispness, I went with the white one. I also noticed the same thing with Price synthetic gut, black one is much softer than the natural colored.

Eric4
10-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Not if your colorblind.

And no, it shouldn't make a difference.

Mdubb23
10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I have used both the white and red x-one. The white is much crisper, more powerful and stiffer. The red one is softer and had better ball pocketing. But as I look for crispness, I went with the white one. I also noticed the same thing with Price synthetic gut, black one is much softer than the natural colored.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I actually tried both the grey and light blue Luxilon ALU Power 16L today, and the blue was definitely had a much softer feeling than the grey. (Especially for a poly)

Based on thoughts I have heard, I would advise anyone to be careful when automatically assuming that a different color of the "same" string really is the same thing.

JohnS
10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot. I actually tried both the grey and light blue Luxilon ALU Power 16L today, and the blue was definitely had a much softer feeling than the grey. (Especially for a poly)

Based on thoughts I have heard, I would advise anyone to be careful when automatically assuming that a different color of the "same" string really is the same thing.

I just think it looks prettier! Anyway, I've never tried the grey so I couldnt tell you.

For Prince Syn Gut w/ duraflex. The black strings definetly felt different from the others. It also lasted a tad bit long due to the amount of ink/paint they used on the strings.

counterpuncher
10-05-2008, 09:44 PM
With SPPP I noticed only a slight difference between the white and the orange, with the white be a touch softer.

With Luxilon Ace there is night and day difference between the original ivory version and the new cream version. The new version is softer, has less bite and loses its playing characteristics sooner than the original.