PDA

View Full Version : Poly string tension vs Synth Gut

dmtree
10-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I didn't play for many years and missed the emergence of poly strings, so don't really have a clue about them. :oops:

Been playing again for about a year now, and stringing my Diablo Mid at 61-63 lbs with synthetic strings (usually slightly tighter with thinner gauge string). What tension would you recommend for 17 gauge Signum Pro PP? I heard to take 10% off for polys, so should I string them at 56-57 lbs? I like a tight string bed with a lot of control and just a bit of bounce to it.

dmtree
10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
anyone?

thanks!

dmtree
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
i guess maybe i should clarify the original question.

i usually string my 93 sq.inch racket with synthetic gut or multi at 61-63 lbs. what tension should i use with poly strings for a similar feel?

JohnS
10-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I'd try 58 if you're used to a tighter tension. If I string my rqt around 60 with all syn gut, i usually string my rqts somewhere around 56-58 depending on the weather and surface. on average, i string 56 or 57 on my 90" frame.

eagle
10-06-2008, 06:43 AM
dm,

When I string hybrids, I usually have the poly at 4 lbs less than the crosses.

I've never strung my diablo mids at the top end of the specs like you. I've always strung mine in the midrange (58lbs). Maybe I'll try that the next time.

r,
eagle

dmtree
10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
dm,

When I string hybrids, I usually have the poly at 4 lbs less than the crosses.

I've never strung my diablo mids at the top end of the specs like you. I've always strung mine in the midrange (58lbs). Maybe I'll try that the next time.

r,
eagle

thanks! i'll probably try 58 lbs to start off, and see how that feels.

eagle, 63 lbs is pretty tight on that racket, it gives great control, but you won't be able to muscle through the ball unless you are in position, not until the strings loosen up a bit.

Cup8489
10-06-2008, 10:11 AM
actually, if you're going full poly, don't string it at 58. it will feel quite a bit tighter than the syn gut, and alot more control. if you want a similar feel to the stringbed, i would probably say somewhere about 55 to 56 max.

if you're hybriding, 58 mains, and maybe 60 to 61 on the crosses.

edit: i should say, actually ,that it will be alot less powerful, and you may end up leaving alot of balls short for a while.

eagle
10-06-2008, 11:35 AM
dm,

Please give us feedback on your string setup after a few sessions with it.

I'm actually thinking about trying out the WeissCannon Explosiv also just to see what all the commotion is about . :)

r,
eagle

dmtree
10-07-2008, 11:19 PM
update:

I strung the SPPP at 57lbs, it took about 1.5 hours to 'break in' during which it felt like i was hitting the frame a lot while trying to hit topspin, and I had to use my whole arm and torso to put spin on the ball. hitting flat shots in the sweet spot was easy though.

After 1.5 hours, the strings came to life and became really bouncy, i was able to place the ball well with decent spin and it was rather too easy to hit the ball really hard. Generally it was easier to whack the ball than to hit slower high topspin shots, and while my fh and bh were pretty consistent, i was having a hard time with the offensive slice, which is one of my main weapons. it was either too short or too floaty, not sure if it's the poly string or if the tension is too low.

anyways, i'm going to string my other racket with the same string tomorrow, this time a bit tighter, probably 58 or 59lbs.

overall, i like the playability of this poly string and being able to get all the balls in the court, almost felt like cheating, haha. i don't like the feel and control as much as a good multi string. if i could find a multi that has good feel and good durability and won't break after several hours of hard hitting, i would be a happy camper.

eagle
10-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Hi dm,

Glad to hear that you like it.

Sounds to me though that initially you might have slightly been altering your strokes due to the string. Yes? No?

You probably later went back to your regular strokes providing you with the results you were looking for. :)

If your full strokes are producing good deep shots already, then upping the tension on the mains might cause those same shots to land short. You also would have to work a little harder by swinging harder to get the ball deep.

Pls do keep us informed.

r,
eagle