PDA

View Full Version : Sore Elbow...ADVICE WANTED!

MUZZA1973
10-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey Everyone,
Here's a brief summary of the problem:
I play with a Head Microgel Extreme and recently had the racquet strung with Head RIP Control at 60lbs.
Played with these strings at that tension for two weeks now (Playing 4 times) and have noticed my elbow progressively getting stiffer and sorer...Previous to that had the racquet strung at 55lbs but was way to loose for my liking with many balls flying long.Thought i'd string it at a higher tension for a little more control.Think it may have been a mistake due to my elbow.
Picked up yesterday a Head Microgel Prestige Pro that i need to string and am hoping that it may be a little more forving on my joints as its not as stiff as the extreme.
ADVICE NEEDED on a suitable string(or stick with RIP control)and or tension to save my joints!
Feed back will be much appreciated!

D. Dokas
10-05-2008, 03:17 PM
use a multi string, wilson NXT recomeded.
and also rest, dont keep playing with a sore elbow take 3 weeks off
get a new restring string it at 57 then if 55 is too lose for you and see how u go.
also a anti infalmatory like voltaren is good to put on your elbow

superstition
10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Natural gut is softer and better than a multi with is made up generally of strands of nylon.

gastro54
10-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm surprised you're feeling soreness from Rip Control - I thought those felt very comfortable - I just tried a poly/syngut hybrid and I'm feeling tennis elbow for the first time. I'm going back to multis or syn guts

Valjean
10-06-2008, 02:54 AM
The usual recommendation when there's a fresh onset of TE is to restring at once and drop tension five lbs. Depending on how advanced it is, how satisfied you are, and if you want to keep playing, you might change your string too. Xcel 2008 is a really nice combination of comfort and control; surprisingly so.

attackthenet
10-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Muzz,
I had a similar problem. I was using a light racquet and was also using RIP Control. I tinkered with many variables before I decided on the main issue - racquet weight and string tension. I went back to using a heavier racquet...went from Flexpoint Radical to Microgel Instinct to Wilson KBlade 98...ALL gave me elbow problems with a decrease in tension in each racquet. I finally settled on the KBlade Tour which is around 11.8 oz strung with a hybrid string job - Luxilon ALU Power and Wilson NXT Tour. Even with the stiffer Luxilon strings, I have no more elbow tendinitis. The heavier racquets absorb the shock. Also, I must add that going with a more eastern service grip (which many pros use) will also reduce elbow pain when you slice serve. For me, a combination of heavier racquet, lower string tension and an eastern grip has eliminated all elbow problems! You just have to find your right combination. I do recommend trying a heavier racquet if you can physically handle it. Additionally, in my younger days...I weight trained a lot and also used a heavier racquet...building stronger muscles in the forearm and upper-arm will also help reduce shock to our elbow. Just my two cents...hope it helps.

siow_a
10-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Everyone,
Here's a brief summary of the problem:
I play with a Head Microgel Extreme and recently had the racquet strung with Head RIP Control at 60lbs.
Played with these strings at that tension for two weeks now (Playing 4 times) and have noticed my elbow progressively getting stiffer and sorer...Previous to that had the racquet strung at 55lbs but was way to loose for my liking with many balls flying long.Thought i'd string it at a higher tension for a little more control.Think it may have been a mistake due to my elbow.
Picked up yesterday a Head Microgel Prestige Pro that i need to string and am hoping that it may be a little more forving on my joints as its not as stiff as the extreme.
ADVICE NEEDED on a suitable string(or stick with RIP control)and or tension to save my joints!
Feed back will be much appreciated!

Try NRG2 comes in 16/17 and 18g. Like them better than some of the NXT. The Sensatioin( $8 ) is really soft but loses tension too quickly. BDE gut(-- $28 ) is real soft but doesn't last as long as Babolat Tonic($23) or Team($35 ).

Depends on how much you want to spend for string...around $23...go with Babolat Tonic 16g. Go up in guage for more crispness(feel) and spin.

Same with the NRG 16 ...pockets really nice against hard hitting players --$12

NXT (I believe Tour version) -- $15

X Biphase is more crisp then NRG -- $15

Get them all at TW. Those would be my picks for sore arm, besides rest and icing. Start with those before looking at any Hybrid solutions(too many variables).

MUZZA1973
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Thank-you so very much everyone for your input,greatly appreciated!
Muzza

10-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Vitalzym- a great all natural anti inflamatory!
google search it.