PDA

View Full Version : How to Get the Best Footwork?

nadalfan!
10-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm looking on ways to improve footwork in the best ways. As in the top footwork available. I get the split step and everything but how do I make it more natural and a habit rather than someting I have to remeber to do?

phucng_10
10-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Split-step is pretty much the key focus for the best footwork. Keep your steps short and don't slide too much.

Japanese Maple
10-06-2008, 06:54 AM
The best way to improve your footwork, speed, agility, and overall
court movement is to do speed/plyometric workouts 2-3/wk. During your workouts practice the various footwork patterns for all your strokes to build muscle memory and continue to reinforce these patterns when hitting on the court.

Check out live match videos of pro players at Tennisplayer.net-great way to see how the pros move and what you should be copying. You will not believe how much your overall movement and speed will improve by doing these weekly workouts-gives you a huge competitive edge, plus the workouts are fun! Don't forget to incorporate jump roping in your workouts and use of the ladder!

Also, to supplement my speed/plyometric workouts, I will go to the local high school 1-2/wk and jog around the track, run the stadium steps, skip rope, and run 20-40 yard sprints-a lot of fun, great workout, and fantastic for tennis!

Nellie
10-06-2008, 09:27 AM
You need to get in the habit of being on your toes. This means jumping rope and moving on your toes when you are practicing.

Djoko17
10-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I would get a jump rope and a ladder.

Jump Rope: Start off at a steady pace, and just continue with no mistakes for 5min. Increase to 7, then 10, then 20minutes. Also slowly increase the pace, but it is important not to make mistakes or if you do, to get jumping quickly. Also another good jump rope routine is: go 30secs steady pace, 30secs fast, 30secs steady, then 30secs all double jumps(you can mix in one footers or whatever during that fast 30secs) do that for 10-20mins.

Or, if you can get a ladder, just do different patterns as fast as you can and keep working on it. You will see massive improvement in not only you footwork, but also your quickness and positioning around the court.

Another thing- if you do one of these things, it does take awhile to improve so you have to keep it up. And once you get it down, keep doing it. You will have super fast feet!!

El Diablo
10-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Dance lessons. Evander Holyfield imployed his own dance instructor before he became heavyweight champ to improve the fluidity of his movement.

FedererISBetter
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Sounds to me that the op needs to just play more and imply those "footwork" concepts during hitting sessions. One of the BEST ways to improve footwork is to watch the pros and what they do during match plays. You can get ALOT out of just watching it, especially during the slow replays. Once you get the concepts down is when you should start conditioning as stated above to maxium it to your advantage..tata