PDA

View Full Version : ATW on Microgel Prestige Pro

rabidturtle
10-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Hello All,

I was wondering if can you string the prestige pro with the UKRSA ATW pattern and start the crosses at the top? If not, which atw pattern would you suggest to not damage the frame?

Thanks

TenniseaWilliams
10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
UKRSA ATW pattern won't work, the mains start and end at the head on this racquet. (you can double-check this by verifying that there are 16 mains and 8 grommet holes inside the throat on this frame) ATW patterns primarily solve the issue of the mains ending at the throat.

The manufacturer recommends 2 piece stringing.

skierpaul
10-05-2008, 07:11 PM
The diredesire ATW pattern will do the trick for you, and its very racket friendly.

Video (courtesy of YuLite):
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=_TEHKRPtx-g

Description (including pros and cons):
http://students.washington.edu/jdeng/ATW/index.html

TenniseaWilliams
10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
skierpaul, he doesn't need an ATW on that racquet. The mains on your vantage end in the throat, so you need an ATW pattern to string a one piece if you want the crosses to go from top to bottom. rabidturtle can already string his frame one piece with a normal pattern, because his main strings finish at the head.

b0oMeR
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
what are advantages of using a ATW pattern as opposed to the usual 2 piece stringing.

jim e
10-06-2008, 04:16 PM
what are advantages of using a ATW pattern as opposed to the usual 2 piece stringing.

An ATW pattern is used when the mains will end at throat, and you need to string crosses top down.

Some feel it is better with 2 knots rather than 4.
Personally , I like 2 piece, just use to it I guess, I have done a share of 1 piece jobs, but I do tie a good cinched up knot, so I know there is no problem with a 4 knot 2 piece job.

Bottom line, it is a matter of preference more than anything.

rabidturtle
10-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I find it ironic that I actually know who diredesire is :)

Yeah, so I asked YuLitle and pretty much you only do ATW if :
Your Mains end at the THROAT of your racket.

It allows you to begin your crosses from the Head -> Throat.

So for the Prestige Pro, string all the mains, tie off the short side, then do all the crosses.

As for the Advantages of using the ATW pattern. In terms of playability "only a pro could tell" Aesthetically though, it looks cleaner on the racket and you won't have as many blocked holes while stringing.

jim e
10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Even on an ATW there are 2 tie off strings, and on a 2 piece there are 3 if a starting knot is used, so there is only 1 more tie off, and if you tie a good knot, cinched up nice, and increase the knot tie off tension a little(a subject that the slam stringers don't all even agree on as there are no set rules on this as yet), there is no difference at all, maybe with some psycologically, and that is it.Some of the slam stringers also said that the last mains are shorter, and therefore should be less tension, as a shorter string will not flex like a longer one, but then that theory gets into proportional stringing, which is another topic altogether.Bottom line is as long as the job is done consistantly, and properly, no difference between 1 piece or 2.