PDA

View Full Version : Kgut thoughts

slkbassist
10-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Ok thanks for the help in my other post. So I hit around with my newly strung racquet. I decided upon KGut 16 at 60lbs on my Weighted up LM Radical. Here are my thoughts in case anyone wants to know.

From the get go this was a much better string than the Gamma TNT2 17 I had in there before. The TNT2 felt very inconsistent, shot to shot. KGut seemed to have a similar response each hit.

Power: I thought at first KGut was going to be a very powerful string, and afraid my shot might be going long before I could take time and adjust. This was not the case at all. I found KGut at 60lbs to be a bit low powered on lighter swings, at least compared to my other racquet which has basic Head synth gut 16 control (at 60lbs). This low power feeling may be because the strings have not yet broken in- they may just need to get that first bit of tension loss. Yet, on full power swings, I was getting the depth I needed...in short Kgut maybe a string that allows you to get out what you put in it.

Control- I was finding decent control, especially when I had time to set up. Shots on the run were a little difficult at times, but thats true often, no? I can say I felt I had more control than my Gamma TNT2.

Spin- I don't hit with much spin, I like hitting flat, using spin strategically. I could generate some decent spin when I tried. I found slicing was actually nice. Topspin was a little more difficult...not that it matters too much for me.

Comfort- Plenty of it on ground strokes. They really felt great. Even when hitting with power, I felt fine. Each shot felt like it had a nice cushion. This is what I needed.

The only area I was having some trouble going was my serve, but that was because I still haven’t healed up fully, and I was prevented from using a full motion.

All in all I think Kgut is an ideal string when it comes to playing…at least so far. It definitely is a favorite in recent memory..I can't recall all the types I used 6 or so years ago when I played more competitivly. I’ll update this in a week hopefully to give a better estimate. The question will come down to is it worth the price considering there are plenty of soft comfortable strings out there. For future string jobs I plan on trying cheaper but similar options such as XCEL Premium, Iso-Speed Control, Weiss Explosiv, Technifibre TGV. Although I am also going to give Gut a go as well. Hopefully in a year I will have a string choice that I can stick with for a long time.

b0oMeR
10-05-2008, 07:05 PM
K gut is a nice string But man is it exspensive.

I'd rather get natural gut than K gut because the price is so close.

Infl8edEg0
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM

ditto. (10 chars)

tennisfreak15347
10-05-2008, 07:12 PM

agreed. try Klip Legend; it's a lower-powered natural gut with good durability. I'm going to use that for my tennis season. P.S, if you dont break it, it's going to be really cost-efficient.

Valjean
10-06-2008, 02:46 AM
You should try out Xcel 2008 then, too.

jim e
10-06-2008, 10:02 AM

I agree with that, but TW has a mini reel of K Gut for $35.00, cheap enough, comes out to $12/set. so price is not near nat. gut at this time with the reel price. I do like the K Gut as a wet weather replacement for my nat. gut, but found that I am hitting even in damp drizzle with nat. gut and it still holds up.A lot of people over worry about nat. gut getting wet.
Anyways the mini reel price of K Gut is now more realistic, as compared to nat. gut. at least at present time.

ClubHoUno
10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey guys,

I agree about the high price and buying nat gut instead.

But some times you forget that some of us play om red European clay and even if it rains a bit, we can still play on here and often do it. But NOT with nat gut in my strings. I change to my wet weather racquet as soon as the rain starts. I have a good multi in my wet weather racquet - and I prefer two multi, which to me both plays close the natural gut.
IN fact the Laserfirbe Supernatural Prostock Gut is the closest to nat gut ever in my view. The new Babolat Xcel Power 2008 is also a very good multi and in my view better than the Tecnifibre X-one. KGut didn't impress me at all compared to Xcel Power 2008 and Laserfibre Super Natural Prostick Gut.

Unfortunately Tennie warehouse has stopped selling the Laserfibre multi for some reason, but this string is the best and closest to nat gut you'll come.

jim e
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

I agree about the high price and buying nat gut instead.

But some times you forget that some of us play om red European clay and even if it rains a bit, we can still play on here and often do it. But NOT with nat gut in my strings. I change to my wet weather racquet as soon as the rain starts. I have a good multi in my wet weather racquet - and I prefer two multi, which to me both plays close the natural gut.
IN fact the Laserfirbe Supernatural Prostock Gut is the closest to nat gut ever in my view. The new Babolat Xcel Power 2008 is also a very good multi and in my view better than the Tecnifibre X-one. KGut didn't impress me at all compared to Xcel Power 2008 and Laserfibre Super Natural Prostick Gut.

Unfortunately Tennie warehouse has stopped selling the Laserfibre multi for some reason, but this string is the best and closest to nat gut you'll come.

A very good friend of mine has a red clay court he had built next to his summer home nearby to me. We played weekly all summer long, he even waters it down if it does not rain, but this was a wet summer here. I played with nat. gut and it held up fine, as it is my favorite set up, and nothing compares.Strings got a little wet from hitting in drizzle of rain a # of times and it still held up. People are too protective of gut, it should just be played with, just not in a downpour, which I would not hit in anyways.

slkbassist
10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Here are some additional thoughts for anyone interested.

I I started hitting after a few days, I could feel that there was tension loss from the time before. Not too much. It has been one week (a few hours, I only could play 3 times due to the rain)

The big plus for me here is the comfort. The string is very comfortable on my arm. The string seems quite cushiony.

However I have had some issues.

Power- At 60lbs strung (not sure what it is with the initial tension loss) there is a lot of juice-for a flat hitter like me, I was having issues adjusting. It is going to be a learning curve. Although there were some shots I could hit with so much pace my friend looked perplexed. However, as I said the string gives what is put in- so on some returns, if I tried to finesse the shot back using by freinds power, The ball didn't react like some of my other strings have.

Control- This is iffy, I'm not sure if it was me or the strings, but I was hitting a lot of my favorite shots just wide- esp my typical down the line winners.

My experiences with Kgut have left me slightly confused. I like the comfort the best, yet the power and control issues are issues I will have to see. Most likely I should have tried a higher tension- 60 has been the lowest I've gone in a LONG time.

While it is one of the better strings I have tried, there are many factors to consider before I ever buy it again.
1. the cost- at around $40 to get it strung (~$22+shipping+stringers fees+tax)- it ain't cheap, nor is it miles better than NXT (if I remember right). So unless it gets to around the $12 mark it seems too much.

2. I am going to have to try other strings. First up is Gut...although I am worried, considering KGUT- a synth multi has given me over-power issues, how will actual GUT treat me- will I have to string it close to 70lbs????

After gut, I guess I will take a peak at some other multi. And I guess only then will I see if KGUT is worth coming back to.

Fedace
10-12-2008, 06:37 PM

AGREE, get rid of that K-gut junk. it is too expensive and not cost effective. Get the Technifibre NRG 2 strings, this is by far the best ever synthetic ever made in the market. Don't listen to that stuff about tension loss,,,,,NOT TRUE. NRG-2 maintains tension as well as X-1 biphase,, actually better than X-1 biphase. and more spin more power and more control than K-gut.:)

tennisfreak15347
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
AGREE, get rid of that K-gut junk. it is too expensive and not cost effective. Get the Technifibre NRG 2 strings, this is by far the best ever synthetic ever made in the market. Don't listen to that stuff about tension loss,,,,,NOT TRUE. NRG-2 maintains tension as well as X-1 biphase,, actually better than X-1 biphase. and more spin more power and more control than K-gut.:)

oh? my bad, a couple weeks back, then. sorry for the mis-information, I was just quoting various playtesters.

some6uy008
10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Look around for K-Gut demo, they're cheaper. My local place has K-gut demo for $23.99 (labor included)

tennisfreak15347
10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Look around for K-Gut demo, they're cheaper. My local place has K-gut demo for $23.99 (labor included)

your stringer lets you "demo" K-gut for 24 dollars??!?! do you atleast get to keep the strings? a k-gut reel makes k-gut's price come to around 12 dollars a racquet...

some6uy008
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
your stringer lets you "demo" K-gut for 24 dollars??!?! do you atleast get to keep the strings? a k-gut reel makes k-gut's price come to around 12 dollars a racquet...

They said it's K-gut Demo are just K-gut in non-retail packages. Kind of "not for resale" stuff to be used on Wilson Demo rackets. Wilson has since discounted the program, so they're now able to sell it - cheap.

Irvin
10-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Why is K Gut on sale now in the mini reel? Is it priced more in line with what it is worth? Most people think you get what you pay for. SOMETIMES, the price itself advertises, "This stuff must be great!" Any everyone thinks they have to get some of that and try it out.

Irvin