PDA

View Full Version : Want to try Natural Gut

Drewwonu
10-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm looking to try natural gut for the first time and i think im going to order a pack of Klip Legend (not sure what gauge yet) My question is that if i want to experiment with a hybrid, would you recommend using prince syn gut as the mains? Im assuming i would want to use something durable for the mains. Do people usually use polly and syn gut is uncommon for mains?

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I use gut quite a bit (I'm a addict now).
In my opinion I feel its best to have gut in the mains since it holds tension best and has the best feel. I think its a waste to put gut in the crosses, but thats just me

Drewwonu
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I think im a bit confused, do people usually use gut in the mains and polly in the crosses or the other way around?

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I use gut mains poly crosses
some use poly mains gut crosses but I feel that's a Waste since poly will go dead long before the gut does

theace21
10-06-2008, 05:32 AM
I also hybrid with gut mains and synthetic gut crosses. Gets most of the benefits of gut at half the cost. Gut is much more durable than most recreational players think. Plus it holds string tension better than anything else on the market.

spdskr
10-06-2008, 07:17 AM
I also suggest putting gut in the mains. And, yes, gut is more durable than its reputation may suggest (certainly Klip Legend). I prefer a hybrid with poly in the crosses as it gives me more ball bite than a full gut job. As a bonus, the strings do not need adjusting with this setup (when they do, it means your poly crosses have gone dead and it is time to restring).

tennisdad65
10-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Atleast once, you have to try a Full tightly strung gut job :)

Gorecki
10-06-2008, 08:02 AM
i want to... but its so bloody expensive...

Nellie
10-06-2008, 08:20 AM
The main strings (because they are longer) dominate the feel of the racquet. If you want more power and softness, use the gut mains. That's how Federer does it because of his small head size and style of game.

If you use poly mains, it will give you better control and less power, but the gut crosses will help soften the stiffness. I find this type of hybrid last longer because the gut helps to keep the tension on the poly. I think this is the most common stringing pattern on the tour because the pros, moving to bigger and more powerful racquets are looking to decrease the power.

If you want a really soft combination, I find that a combination of a multlifiliment (like x-one biophase) and gut last a long time because the strings seem to slide over each other with less friction.

So the choise is yours (power or control)

By the way, I would not recommend a synth. gut/ gut combo - bad value. Pay a couple of extra dollars.

Nanshiki
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM

How is that exactly? I've been wondering.

My T-2000 has a very tight gut job (I'm pretty sure) and I like it a lot, but it's decades old... and my pro staff would probably have waaaaay too much power with fresh gut unless it was at 65+ pounds.

Drewwonu
10-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Ok so if i use half a set of Klip Legend for the Mains, what poly would you recommend for the crosses? Im also considering to put in some string savers so i can save some money and so it lasts a while longer.

spdskr
10-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I'd recommend any smooth surfaced poly, preferably a softer version. I haven't found a need to use string savers going this route, since the strings dont seem to move during play. Full gut, however, seems to move quite a bit and string savers can prolong the life of that setup.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
try big ace crosses

Hey, Moe!
10-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I've done well with Klip Legend mains, and Babolat Pro Hurricane crosses, both 17g. I bumped up the gut 2 pounds from my usual multi tension, and the Pro Hurricane 5 pounds looser than the gut. It works for me.

lawlitssoo1n
10-06-2008, 10:42 PM
go buy it in wholesales/bulks, my school teacher buys them in $1000's, but hten he gets them for like 10 a pack or something i ono

andreh
10-07-2008, 12:59 AM

Yes. Full gut is heaven. With a couple of string savers in them they last a lot longer than people usually think. They last longer than my backup string NRG2.

Ljubicic for number1
10-07-2008, 01:24 AM
If you are going with poly crosses, I would try cyber power or signum pro poly plasma, these guys hold tension better than most polys.

ChopSticks
10-29-2008, 04:28 AM
you guy in the US are wayyyy better off, a packet of gut her costs more than double what you pay for....plus stringing....its comes to approx $110-120Aus.
so dont complain about gut prices!!! lol

My stringer (works at AusOpen) suggested using VS gut in the crosses for max durability, i use ALU rough in the mains, along with elastrocrosses and its lasted mi ages.... i ended up snapping the mains before the gut.

Tofi
10-29-2008, 04:51 AM
I think im a bit confused, do people usually use gut in the mains and polly in the crosses or the other way around?

Ita the other way round its gut in the crosses and something like a syn gut as the mains. this is because gut is more durable as a crosses and also it makes the feel softer from what i read. I have nearly the same probl;em as you and made a thread about it called which gut is best. anyways i'd recomend a syn gut like gamma pro or prince syn gut with duraflex. I'm gonna try out either gamma pro or luxilon alu power rough for my mains because alu p0ower rough gives added spin apparently. anyways try out any thing you want check out the feedback on tw about the strings and read closely about it then pick the ones you want.

Octavianus
10-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I also hybrid with gut mains and synthetic gut crosses. Gets most of the benefits of gut at half the cost. Gut is much more durable than most recreational players think. Plus it holds string tension better than anything else on the market.

I love the feel and playability of natural gut, but I find it too powerful. So I have been considering a hybrid of natural gut with a soft synthetic gut. If I use a hybrid of natural gut in the mains and synthetic gut in the crosses, for the full benefit of an all gut feel (the closest), would you string the synthetic gut crosses looser than the natural gut mains? For example:
Mains: Natural Gut @ 60 lbs
Crosses: Synthetic Gut @ 57 lbs
Please feel free to give any suggestions/advice
Thanks for your answer