PDA

View Full Version : How to tell when natural gut has lost it...

takl23
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I got a used racket (new to me) strung with natural gut. The strings are a bit frayed, but I've never used it before, how do I know when it's dead? I'm used to poly and this stuff is so soft I feel like I won't know till it breaks. I have a match tomorrow and I'll restring tonight if needed......

proken7
10-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I use VS team 17 gut and play 3 times a week. It usually frays and will last me a month. It keeps tension and playability well rate up till it breaks and I'm not a big guy at 5' 6'' .

rorschack
10-06-2008, 02:33 PM
when it's broken deep down inside. :twisted:

jim e
10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Use it till it breaks, unless you do not like the tension it was strung at. Nat. gut keeps its playability till it is broken, the fraying does not matter, as it will do that rather quickly, but will still be very playable.Thats the beauty of nat. gut.

JakeHCoker
10-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Simply compair it to another players raquet with the same gut. If you can't find anyone else, then you can try bouncing the ball on the sweet spot. If you feel little power, or that it seems to drag a little, then it's time for some new strings. You can also check for string burn on your raquet.