PDA

View Full Version : My Luxilon Big Banger Alu on APDC

Trev343
10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
So I just purchased my APDC and had it strung with Big Banger Alu 16 at 56lbs. I liked the sick spin, but it didnt give me enough power to hit winners from the baseline and my whole arm is sore. Would putting it down to about 50 lbs help? Should I get a different string?

Thanks and if I said some newbish things don't flame me cause ive only been playing tennis for a little bit. I would self rate at 4.0

Nanshiki
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
you're self rating way too high

to answer your questions; yes, and maybe.

Matty G
10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Dont use poly. Get it strung with prince syn. gut with duraflex @ 56

SlapShot
10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Poly isn't for everyone. It's very low powered, even when strung low, so if you're struggling to keep the ball deep, change to something with a little more pop (like Prince Duraflex, as mentioned above).

ag200boy
10-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Dont use poly. Get it strung with prince syn. gut with duraflex @ 56

i would have to disagree with this statement, my personal recommendation would be to try a softer poly (maybe big ace?) in a thinner guage (17, 18, maybe micro?) at mid tension(probably 56, around what youre at now)

Zach
10-08-2008, 04:43 PM
All of these things said, if this guy has only been playing tennis for a "little bit," he might not have the racket head speed to fully appreciate a nice polyester string like ALU Power.

PED
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I used to own an APDC for about a year and loved it. The softer new copoly's worked really well in there for me. Things like Big Ace or Cyber Power. The apdc is a fairly stiff stick and I never could get alu or lux to work well in it for me.

In my(much softer) storm tour, I LOVE stiffer polys but the apdc and stiff poly was just too jarring a combo in my case. That's just my experience but give some big ace a try in the 1.22mm or 1.25mm size and I think you'll really like it. Spin and power are really nice in that stick.

Matty G
10-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Ped hows the poly power soft?

PED
10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
MattyG, I'd give it a miss. It's not bad, but it's not BBO or ALU, that's for sure ;)

However, for someone looking for a soft, flexy poly, PPS would be good, but for me, the control and spin are lacking.

Matty G
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
MattyG, I'd give it a miss. It's not bad, but it's not BBO or ALU, that's for sure ;)

However, for someone looking for a soft, flexy poly, PPS would be good, but for me, the control and spin are lacking.

Thanks ped . I think im sticking to bbo just need to give silverstring and pacific x force a go befor i fully commit.

bluescreen
10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
if lux is hurting your arm, altering the tension wont change that. luxilon is very stiff, so if it hurts now, i'd look into a hybrid or abandoning poly altogether. i think u'd get better performance out of a good multi like x-1 biphase.

Trevor
10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
You may want to try something in the area of a multi as poly requires decent bat speed which you may not have at your level. Also, tennis elbow is a side effect of not hitting the middle of the stringbed. Although stiff racquets/strings certainly contribute to this.

Trev343
10-09-2008, 03:05 PM
yah, my arm doesnt hurt anymore, I think it was just schock from change. Im also missing the middle because I went from a + size to standard. Im starting to get used to it but im not sure what I want to do. To be honost when I demoed it with Wilson Sensation it played great. Should I get that?

SlapShot
10-10-2008, 05:57 AM
You could try Sensation, but there are some strings out there that do much better over time.

Poly definitely requires a full swing to really see any benefit - if you don't have lots of swing speed, you will probably find something like Sensation to be much better for your style.

Behtareen
10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
i use apd orig. w alu and thats alot of power for me. i even string it at 66 lbs, so you know what i mean. focus on your game. racket and strings are overrated imo.