PDA

View Full Version : how to qualify for d1, d2 or d3 without usta ranking

timm
10-07-2008, 08:33 AM
hi guys
i was wondering without a national or section ranking, how can i get noticed by recruiters of college for their teams? itf ranking? local ranking in my country?
thanks

ayyhwang
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM
sometimes if you contact the coach you can schedule a tryout or hitting session i think

brownbearfalling
10-13-2008, 11:00 AM
some d1 schools have fairly open tryouts. but the school that i know of has never taken anyone from the tryouts. The best way is to get other credentials like winning the high school state tournament.

brownbearfalling
10-13-2008, 11:07 AM
you can also start at a community college for a few years and then improve to later play at a university.

In all seriousness with out tournament experience you are highly unlikely to make it on a university team

JLyon
10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
actually it is against NCAA rules to have a tryout while on a recruiting visit to a school. Many schools do hold Walk-on tryouts but it is hard to make the team in many instances.
JUCO might be best way to go to get experience and more publicity.

Kal-El 34
11-21-2008, 08:49 AM
you don't have to have any USTA ranking to play anywhere. Make a video of a match or a couple matches and send them out. Let the coach see how you play and if he likes you enough, you will get some contact from him

eeytennis
11-21-2008, 02:06 PM
For many D3 schools you don't even need a ranking...however one definitely helps. You want to contact the coach first and set up a meeting with them, and maybe they can come watch you play sometime. Usually the higher level D1 schools would want to see a top 300 ranking in the country (USA) and top 20 section ranking. There are lower level D1 schools though, and D2 and D3 as well.

levels
11-21-2008, 05:58 PM
I am a college coach for a D-3 school. Sometimes it is hard to get noticed without a ranking. At the same time, at least for me and my school, the academic fit is also important. I am at a school that is top tier in academics and compete in a very competitive D-3 conference.

Research schools that fit both your academic and athletic criteria. Contact the coach and see what happens.

Good luck!

dunno
11-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Send 'em a video.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
^^^

There are many schools, send them a video, do your research, take a good SAT and do your research.

Tikiman53
11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
This is kind of a dumb question, but let's say you didn't make it onto the team of the college you're in; is it possible to play for a community college while you are attending another school? The thing is, I'm hoping to get into a really good school for academics, perhaps even an Ivy League if I get good enough grades and a high enough SAT. But don't those schools have strong tennis teams that are hard to get onto?

Joeyg
11-27-2008, 09:45 AM
You can play junior college tennis while attending a 4 year school. As long as you take enough units (either in class or online) you are eligible to play. However, you are using eligibility while playing juco. I have had many players attend Cal and still play for us at Chabot.

andfor
11-27-2008, 01:23 PM
You can play junior college tennis while attending a 4 year school. As long as you take enough units (either in class or online) you are eligible to play. However, you are using eligibility while playing juco. I have had many players attend Cal and still play for us at Chabot.

Very interesting and I never thought of it. 12 hours would be the minimum to do this, right Joey? Could the athlete be taking for example 6 hours at Cal and 6 at Chabot and be eligible to play tennis or would the 12 hours have to be at the school where you plan to play?

Tikiman53
11-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Wait, so let's say you go to the school you want for your academic purposes, but you do not make their team, you can just go to a community college or a junior college and play for them? Would you have to enroll in some courses in the community college or junior college you play for? And I am not too familiar what exactly a junior college is. And would a junior college or community college be in D3, D2, D1 or some other league type of deal?

Thanks

Coach Carter
11-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Wait, so let's say you go to the school you want for your academic purposes, but you do not make their team, you can just go to a community college or a junior college and play for them? Would you have to enroll in some courses in the community college or junior college you play for? And I am not too familiar what exactly a junior college is. And would a junior college or community college be in D3, D2, D1 or some other league type of deal?

Thanks

where ever you PLAY...you will have to be a "full-time" student (usually 12 hours of classes)...that's why it's unlikely that you could attend 2 schools at 1 time