PDA

View Full Version : Tulane

BigBUBBA
10-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Has the college outside of New Orleans, Tulane, ever had any sucess of the college tennis scene?

MLoutch
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes very much so -

Men were Nat'l camps back a few yrs ago - 1959 i think - Had Mike Kogan from Israel played there and was NCAA finalist in 2003 or 2004 - they recruited both top players from USA and abroad in the past.

The mens team has been at the top of Conference - USA the last few years and hanging around top 20

The women's team has been a regular in the top 20 also for a number of years and made it to the NCAA's qtrs a few times.

That said since Hurricane Katrina in 2005 the athletics program as a whole at Tulane is working to come back - Tulnae pretty much shut down from Sept 2005 thru most of 2006 and most all of the sports programs have been working back from a mess.

Gemini
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Has the college outside of New Orleans, Tulane, ever had any sucess of the college tennis scene?

And Tulane's actually in New Orleans. My dad's an Assistant Dean in the Law school there. From my recollection, the teams have always been tough with some very good players.

MLoutch
10-20-2008, 04:50 PM
yea the main campus is in the Garden District - VERY nice part of NOLA!

Med school is right downtown -

I'm sure must folks don't realize the quarter is only a very small part of the city and equate all with it. All the other outlying areas like the arabi area, the garden district...etc are so diverse and spread out quite a bit.

I know lots of Tulane folks came to Houston when the school shut down after Katrina and were able to study at Rice who set up a sort of "extension" campus for many of the Tulane students. Both schools go for the same type of student.

BigBUBBA
10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
That must stink to have such prestigious programs ruined by Katrina. I feel sorry for all the victims.

That makes it even cooler that is is in New Orleans (especially the garden district) I have never gone to New Orleans but my mother has and she said I would love it. I've also read a few books about it and it seems great. I'd love to go to Tulane...awesome city, academics, and athletics

The mens program is starting up next season again, with a good new head coach and they already gor a 5 star recruit. 5 years from now, I'm so applying.....

Gemini
10-28-2008, 09:53 AM
My family lives in the Garden District in New Orleans and it's always been a pretty nice area. It was also one of the areas that wasn't horrendously damaged during Katrina.

With that being said, not all of New Orleans is as nice to look at or hang out in as the Garden District. Just an FYI. But get what you can out of it if you do attend Tulane. It's a great school.

JLyon
10-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Tulane and UNO just got their Teams back off this Fall. Tulane only their women's team which is 8 freshmen and look to be good. also UNO added some talented players to start over.
Both teams should do well.

csomers14
10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm going to play for the men's team next year at Tulane. We're getting some good players to hopefully begin to build the team to a top 25 team. The coach is a great guy, and I can't wait to go to New Orleans in the fall of 2009.

BigBUBBA
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm going to play for the men's team next year at Tulane. We're getting some good players to hopefully begin to build the team to a top 25 team. The coach is a great guy, and I can't wait to go to New Orleans in the fall of 2009.

That is so cool!!!! You have to keep me updated!!!

BigBUBBA
11-17-2008, 06:56 AM
hey csomers, who are you? as in, whats your name? can i have your email, cuz you gotta keep me updated.

10isDad
11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I digress a bit, but 'csomers14', can you enlighten me as to what happened at MWTA? There've been a couple rumors but nothing firm.

Do you still train at the renamed place (KCUT)? If so, is it still a decent academy?

BigBUBBA
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
never mind! i assume your christopher somers, as your the only c. somers who has commited to tulane according to teenis recruiting. anyway, please provide me w/ your email so you can keep me up to speed w/ all of the going ons-or i can just add you on facebook if you have one

Rabbit
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I had the chance to talk to a guy who was on scholarship at my alma mata back in the mid-60s a while back. He was the #3 player in Australia behind Newcombe and Roche back then. The Aussie national program apparently only took the top two.

Anyway, he told me about the program at Tulane. Back then, they were part of the SEC. They also had the only claycourts in the SEC. He said the coach there had a requirement that those guys hit 100 forehands and 100 backhands in a row before they could leave the court. He went on to say that they absolutely hated playing those guys down there because they never missed!

Regional senior mixed was held at City Park in New Orleans a month or so ago. We played down there and the courts were in terrible shape. The new courts at UNO are clay and supposedly great, they have synthetic red, at least that was what we were told. And the courts are supposedly hydra courts too which means they play great. They are due to replace the courts at city park with a new facility according to the folks down there.

But, I digress. Tulane is considered by many in the Southeast to be only behind Vanderbuilt in terms of academia. The Garden District of New Orleans is one of, if not the, most beautiful neighborhoods any where. I'm not too big a fan of Bourbon Street, it's gone down hill as far as I'm concerned. I saw one spot where they played jazz... It's a shame...it's been taken over by Club Hustler and that kind of crap. Tulane would be a great opportunity for you.

Good luck!

BigBUBBA
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I had the chance to talk to a guy who was on scholarship at my alma mata back in the mid-60s a while back. He was the #3 player in Australia behind Newcombe and Roche back then. The Aussie national program apparently only took the top two.

Anyway, he told me about the program at Tulane. Back then, they were part of the SEC. They also had the only claycourts in the SEC. He said the coach there had a requirement that those guys hit 100 forehands and 100 backhands in a row before they could leave the court. He went on to say that they absolutely hated playing those guys down there because they never missed!

Regional senior mixed was held at City Park in New Orleans a month or so ago. We played down there and the courts were in terrible shape. The new courts at UNO are clay and supposedly great, they have synthetic red, at least that was what we were told. And the courts are supposedly hydra courts too which means they play great. They are due to replace the courts at city park with a new facility according to the folks down there.

But, I digress. Tulane is considered by many in the Southeast to be only behind Vanderbuilt in terms of academia. The Garden District of New Orleans is one of, if not the, most beautiful neighborhoods any where. I'm not too big a fan of Bourbon Street, it's gone down hill as far as I'm concerned. I saw one spot where they played jazz... It's a shame...it's been taken over by Club Hustler and that kind of crap. Tulane would be a great opportunity for you.

Good luck!

thanks!greatly appreciated.

Gemini
11-21-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm not too big a fan of Bourbon Street, it's gone down hill as far as I'm concerned.

It's funny you refer it as gone downhill. To me, Bourbon St. was always on the downside of things and I grew in New Orleans.

Rabbit
11-21-2008, 09:53 AM
It's funny you refer it as gone downhill. To me, Bourbon St. was always on the downside of things and I grew in New Orleans.

Well it may have something to do with my perspective now versus then as well...

max
11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm in Illinois and have run across a couple of Tulane alumns. They loved the place. (I don't know how recent disasters have treated it, tough).

Gemini
11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm in Illinois and have run across a couple of Tulane alumns. They loved the place. (I don't know how recent disasters have treated it, tough).

I was just home in New Orleans about a month ago and visited my dad on campus (he's works for the university). The campus looks good as does the rest of the Garden District. Like I said before, the area that Tulane is located was spared the worst damage.

Leelord337
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
i'm still ****ed my sis didn't go to tulane. she had a full scholarship but opted to stay close to home and go to univ houston. i would've been chilling out at cafe du monde every month if she were there, ;)