PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a string

Dishiki
10-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I recently picked the game back up after a 7 year layoff about 4 months ago. Went through the demo process and settled on the Fischer M Pro 98 SL. I have been using Wilson NXT 16 gauge strung at 52. I went through the strings in about 5 weeks. I restrung with the same string and am already seeing significant fraying after about 3 weeks of play.

I have topspin forehand/backhand, pretty big kick and flat serve. I am rated 4.0. Can anyone recommend a high quality string that will last longer? I really would like my strings to last a couple of months and not once a month.

Valjean
10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Wilson's NXT *Max*, their more durable version of the same string, meant for the frequent player.

Fatkat
10-07-2008, 10:43 PM
use Kevlar or Natural Gut dood.

lawlitssoo1n
10-07-2008, 10:46 PM
PRO SUPEX BIG ACE or PREMIER ACE!
the cheapest(affordable) poly u'll ever find! and plays and holds tension a lot better than luxilon

dmtree
10-07-2008, 11:27 PM
5 weeks ain't bad.. i was going through multi and sunth gut strings in 1.5-2 weeks. i was thinking of trying the NXT string or the NXT Max - how does it feel?

i just tried my first poly string, it's the Signum Pro Poly Plasma and it wasn't bad, after the initial break-in, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not a very hard hitter and more of a spin/finesse player.

Booyah
10-08-2008, 06:03 PM
yeah i think 5 weeks is great with NXT. NXT is definitely a string worth using. How often do you play?

tennisfreak15347
10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
he doesn't want to go to the stringer or re-string too often, so why not go for a "durable" natural gut? Klip Legend is a durable natural gut; best tension maintainence and feel and comfort, considering it's well... natural gut! :)

jim e
10-08-2008, 06:58 PM
he doesn't want to go to the stringer or re-string too often, so why not go for a "durable" natural gut? Klip Legend is a durable natural gut; best tension maintainence and feel and comfort, considering it's well... natural gut! :)

I agree, ...

game set match 46 TIMES!!
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
try either a mix or poly and syn gut or poly nxt max and if you want a string that is amazing in everything and cheap sigum pro poly plsama sppp 17 its great but get 17 guage

dmtree
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM

what's your guess, how long would a set of Klip Legend last him if he breaks NXT in a month?

Mdubb23
10-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Best hope for you would be a good, somewhat durable multi. I would suggest Tecnifibre X-one Biphase.

Dishiki
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Okay I screwed up. While I do have NXT Tour strings, it's in my crosses. I actually have Wilson Ultimate Duo Hybrid 16 gauge. The NXT strings are what are fraying. I called the tennis shop and the recommended Luxilion Big Banger Rough, since I don't have elbow problems and have really good racquet speed. I am hesistant to go to an all poly string.

Will poly last longer? Should I go to a natural gut like someone recommended. The current string gives me pretty good bite on the ball, and the strings are strung at 52.

MagPro
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Since you dont have arm problems why not give it a shot. If that doesnt work then maybe you could try a Syn Gut instead of the NXT for a cross. You might loose some feel/softness but, would definately gain some durability. Wilson Stamina as a cross is pretty durable. Forten Sweet would be a softer Syn Gut to try.

jrod
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Okay I screwed up. While I do have NXT Tour strings, it's in my crosses. I actually have Wilson Ultimate Duo Hybrid 16 gauge. The NXT strings are what are fraying. I called the tennis shop and the recommended Luxilion Big Banger Rough, since I don't have elbow problems and have really good racquet speed. I am hesistant to go to an all poly string.

Will poly last longer? Should I go to a natural gut like someone recommended. The current string gives me pretty good bite on the ball, and the strings are strung at 52.

Have you tried string savers? I use an M Pro #1 and have VS (gut) in the mains and Weiscannon Silverstring in the crosses and my mains were breaking after ~10 hours of play (summer, high humidity). I started using string savers at the end of the summer and they have definitely helped, extending the gut string life ~2x.

Racer41c
10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Because your using a Fisher, your getting away with some pretty stiff string in the NXT Tour.

I'd try a soft ploy job like the Pro Supex. I just looked at the racket I'm dropping off tonight to get re-strung. I've been hitting with it since the middle of July, I hit 3x per week. The string job in my other racket will last longer as I strung it 1 lb higher, so maybe 4 months.

I'm trying out the 1.22 next, although the 1.25 is the bomb. Looking for just a tad bit more head speed.

region2champion
10-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Big ace or Blue Gear

Dishiki
10-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Okay so I went out and played for 3 hours last night. My racquet was strung August 29th. The string swere completely dead/flat. I didn't notice it too terribly until I hit with my friend's pure drive team with NXT max strings. The ball was flying off the racquet. Which string went dead first for me, the Luxilion poly, or the NXT tour?

Also,I'd rather pop a string in 4-6 weeks and have playability than be playing with dead strings. How long do polys last? Do they give enough pop? Will a natural gut hold up in the humidity of Atlanta? Or should I just go with a multi like the NXT tour or NXT max, or the bi-phase?