PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pain when serving.

TennisWooh
10-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey guys I just wanted to get some feedback about my wrist.

I can hit groundstrokes fine without any pain, but when i serve thats when I feel pain in the middle of my wrist.

If i put my hand face down/nails facing the sky and bend it, it starts to hurt when i try to put pressure on it and bend it so i can stretch. The pain is right in the center towards the top I would say.

Any help would be great. I just wanted to know what it might be and what I could do.

Thanks.

SystemicAnomaly
10-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Which way are you bending your wrist when you feel this pain? Bending it upward From the position you described is wrist extension. Bending it downward is wrist flexion. (There are also 2 other wrist articulations -- to the left side and right side).

You might possibly be gripping the racket too tightly on your serve and other strokes. However, excessive wrist flexion on your serve might be the greater problem. The wrist lays back somewhat when you drop the racket behind you and start the upward motion of the racket arm.

The problem arises when ppl attempt to snap the wrist. The "snap" is more about forearm rotation (pronation) than it is about wrist flexion. The wrist should not flex very much past the neutral position. Excessive flexion, in an effort to "snap the wrist", can stress the wrist too much. Pronation is the key.

eugenius
10-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Many things can cause this.Depends on if you can rub on the painful area,which case it might be inflammation of the tendons(extensor).If it seems to be deeper,like in between the wrist bones,could be other problems,e.g ganglion cyst,ligament problem,etc.I had a gangloin cyst removed at the top of the wrist(between lunate and scaphoid)which was hidden between the bones and only seen by MRI scan.
Also had pain on extension of the wrist and when putting weight on the wrist(like when doing a pushup)Eventually my gripstrenght started to weaken,which affected my shots.
Anyway this might be completely different(due to different strings,tension or racket,if any have changed).Best advice is to see G.P or orthopod if it's not clear what it is,or gets worse inspite of rest.Good luck

TennisWooh
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Wrist extension applies to me. It only hurts when i serve. I'm pretty sure I'm not holding the racket to tightly as a just lay the wrist back naturally with all my shots in tennis.

I don't force pronation on my serves. I just let the racket do the work and my wrist lays back naturally.

Rubbing the area doesn't hurt. It just hurts when i serve. Right in the middle of my wrist. I'm starting to think that it could be due to my racket change and polyester hybrid.

I switched to the Yonex RDS 002 (non-tour) with Topspin cyberflash 18 in mains and Babolat synthetic 17 in crosses strung at 63 at one point and now 59/57.

I never had this problem with my Fischer Pro 1 with the same strings at 60 pounds. Thanks for your input.

TennisWooh
10-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Oh and yes it does hurt when i try to do a push up. The way my wrist is bent and the added pressure causes some pain.

eugenius
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Not sure if this is added to your problem,but the yonex has a stiffness rating of 65,and is lighter,than the fischer's 58 and slightly higher static weight.
More impact vibration due to combination of stiff strings and racket?Which racket is the "better" serving racket?You might actually also be trying harder to generate pace with the Yonex,leading to more stress on the wrist?
Maybe worth trying a more armfriendy string on that racket(or going back to the Fischer for a while!!!!)
Cheers

svlin
12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey guys I just wanted to get some feedback about my wrist.

I can hit groundstrokes fine without any pain, but when i serve thats when I feel pain in the middle of my wrist.

If i put my hand face down/nails facing the sky and bend it, it starts to hurt when i try to put pressure on it and bend it so i can stretch. The pain is right in the center towards the top I would say.

Any help would be great. I just wanted to know what it might be and what I could do.

Thanks.

What was the final diagnosis to this problem (now that it has been over a year?), I have some wrist soreness as well after serving and would like to know what you ended up finding out.

jonahnaturals
08-14-2011, 03:10 AM
To the opening poster: Did your wrist pain eventually go away with rest or therapy?

I have the exact same problem right now, and would appreciate knowing what happened to your wrist.

Thank you.

Power Player
08-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Yep same problem here. I think it is due to technique because I have a ProKennex stick and I doubt that's causing it.

SystemicAnomaly
08-14-2011, 02:33 PM
To the opening poster: Did your wrist pain eventually go away with rest or therapy?

I have the exact same problem right now, and would appreciate knowing what happened to your wrist.

Thank you.

You might try sending email to the OP. He seems to be around in some of the other TW forums but not the H&F forum.

john blackman
08-23-2011, 09:42 AM
just starting to play again with the issue you guys have. Been to the othor dr.(Quack) went to the surgon. He said was from streching the tendons in the upper wrist. Just rest until pain goes away. Nothing to do with equipment or mechanics just a wrist snap will do it. Good luck

amthaj
09-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Many things can cause this.Depends on if you can rub on the painful area,which case it might be inflammation of the tendons(extensor).If it seems to be deeper,like in between the wrist bones,could be other problems,e.g ganglion cyst,ligament problem,etc.I had a gangloin cyst removed at the top of the wrist(between lunate and scaphoid)which was hidden between the bones and only seen by MRI scan.
Also had pain on extension of the wrist and when putting weight on the wrist(like when doing a pushup)Eventually my gripstrenght started to weaken,which affected my shots.
Anyway this might be completely different(due to different strings,tension or racket,if any have changed).Best advice is to see G.P or orthopod if it's not clear what it is,or gets worse inspite of rest.Good luck

I have pain in my wrist after playing tennis (when gripping the wrist hurt). The doc said that I may have a cyst between the scapho and lunate bones, even thought it is not visible without MRI. How did you find out about your cyst? Was your wrist hurting after playing or all the time?
amthaj