PDA

View Full Version : Higher tension strings against more pace players?

morten
10-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Being sidelined from competitive tennis for a couple of years due to injury(TE and lower back) i have now slowly started playing against better opponents. As i was injured i have played against weaker players and used really low tension and loving it, however, the low tension made balls fly against the heavier pace players, i raised 3lbs, but that was not enough. Anyone else have the same experience?

Steve Huff
10-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Probably just the opposite. If you've been sidelined awhile, you'll probabl find your self blocking more shots back than taking big cuts at them, so the looser string job will give you more depth. Also, the looser string job will have a slightly bigger sweetspot, which you'll also need.

Il Mostro
10-08-2008, 08:39 AM
String your sticks to suit *your* game, not your opponents. Also, Steve's take on racquet tension jibes with my opinion. Especially coming off an injury, make it easier on yourself, not harder.

Keifers
10-08-2008, 09:03 AM
You might want to use a lower-powered string. I tried Maxim Touch 17 (1.25mm) recently and found it very effective against big hitters. It absorbed incoming pace well and provided a comfortable, consistent, lower-power hit.

phoenicks
10-08-2008, 09:22 AM
yeah, u certainly don't want to end up getting TE with high tension again, just slowly progress the string tension upwards

TW Staff
10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Federer bumps up his tension when he plays guys like Roddick.

Increasing your tension a few pounds when you know you are going to play a power player or play on a faster surface can help you keep the ball from flying.

Most pros have at least one racquet strung tighter and at least one strung lower with the rest at their regular tension. That way they have options if the ball is flying or they are struggling to get the ball away.

While most of us don't walk on court with 6-9 racquets, you should have 2-3 and that way you can have one strung a little tighter and switch to it if needed.

Chris, TW.

sruckauf
10-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Probably just the opposite. If you've been sidelined awhile, you'll probabl find your self blocking more shots back than taking big cuts at them, so the looser string job will give you more depth. Also, the looser string job will have a slightly bigger sweetspot, which you'll also need.

I'm more in agreement with this. Playing bigger power players, I find myself on the defensive a bit more.. returning big serves, faster paced rallies, etc. I find if I drop the tension a couple pounds, my defensive blocking type shots have a little more penetrating replies.

lawlitssoo1n
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Increasing your tension a few pounds when you know you are going to play a power player or play on a faster surface can help you keep the ball from flying.

Most pros have at least one racquet strung tighter and at least one strung lower with the rest at their regular tension. That way they have options if the ball is flying or they are struggling to get the ball away.

While most of us don't walk on court with 6-9 racquets, you should have 2-3 and that way you can have one strung a little tighter and switch to it if needed.

Chris, TW.
WOW i didn't know dat, luckily my friend strung 1 racket higher.

phoenicks
10-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Chris, TW.

Thanks for clarifying this !!!!

tennisfreak15347
10-08-2008, 08:01 PM
of course, having one racquet strung higher and one strung lower is dependent on your tennis budget. I agree that against harder hitters, you should definitely string at a higher tension.