PDA

View Full Version : SoCal commute times:Need local help!!

Kevin T
02-08-2005, 08:07 AM
My wife and I have long considered moving to SoCal and I now have a few job opportunities at a few colleges/universities. Without getting too specific, on the southern and northwest edges of the city. Would it even be feasible to live in Oxnard/Ventura and commute to say, Santa Monica or Northridge? How about commuting to Irvine or Mission Viejo from Oceanside? Any help is greatly appreciated. You always hear about the nightmare commute times in LA. Just wondering how it might compare to driving the same distance in cities like ATL or DC? Thanks a bunch.

Dfens
02-18-2005, 01:19 AM
I lived in Socal for 25 years. Going from Oxnard to Santa Monica during the weekday rush hour is next to unbearable. The traffic in LA starts early 7am and on the freeways that you need to take it does not subside until about 8pm. Though Santa Monica is north of the heaviest traffic it will still be a very brutal commute in time and very taxing on your nerves.

Oceanside to Irvine is better. It will clog up at points (ie Orange Crush and there is a border check in the area) but it will take about a hour drive depending on where you get off on the freeway. The freeway driving is much better on your nerves than LA and you don't have to worry about people getting out of their cars to confront you.

I used to do a San Diego to Irvine commute that averaged a hour and a half. That is a much better drive that the Oxnard to Santa Monica.

Good luck to you! The commute times may seem bad but it is very much worth it to live where the sun shines year around. There's nothing better than going snowboarding on Friday (2 hour drive away). Then on Saturday, enjoy the warm beach and top off the night by hitting the bars off Sunset Blvd.

ohplease
02-18-2005, 09:28 AM
My wife and I have long considered moving to SoCal and I now have a few job opportunities at a few colleges/universities. Without getting too specific, on the southern and northwest edges of the city. Would it even be feasible to live in Oxnard/Ventura and commute to say, Santa Monica or Northridge? How about commuting to Irvine or Mission Viejo from Oceanside? Any help is greatly appreciated. You always hear about the nightmare commute times in LA. Just wondering how it might compare to driving the same distance in cities like ATL or DC? Thanks a bunch.

Oxnard/Ventura to Northridge: Doable, not particularly pleasant.
Oxnard/Ventura to Santa Monica: ha ha ha. This would be awful.

Oceanside to Irvine/Mission Viejo: meh. Not great but doable. Lots of miles, but pretty.

The traffic is bad. I used to live by LAX, and during peak rush hour it would take me 45 minutes to an hour to drive the 7 miles to just north of the 405/10 - and that was using every highway/sidestreet trick I knew. 7 miles in a different direction at the same time might take all of ten minutes.