PDA

View Full Version : athletic tape as overgrip?

Kenny022593
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
im trying this now anyone ever tried it?

crazysoccer00
10-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Prepare yourself for some massive blisters

Kenny022593
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM
haha thanks i dont mind itll calus over its all good haha btw what is a good gauze tape for overgrip becasue where im from the gamma stuff costs like 8 bucks for 1 roll ive seen a rool for 2$

phucng_10
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Seriously, go get yourself some overgrips instead of being cheap. Overgrips aren't that much and it should be affordable. Athletic tape isn't meant to grip things, it's to cover a wound or support a twisted ankle/other injuries.

Kenny022593
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
what if i like to be cheap is it a crime? btw overgrips are expensive for a 15 year old kid who cant get a job yet and whos parents wont give him money for things other than food lol

Voltron
10-08-2008, 08:16 PM
what if i like to be cheap is it a crime? btw overgrips are expensive for a 15 year old kid who cant get a job yet and whos parents wont give him money for things other than food lol

Yes, it is actually a crime. This is the FBI, we'll be there shortly. ;)

ronalditop
10-08-2008, 08:18 PM
where i live overgrip cost 2 50 each one, 7 dolars a pack of three. is so expensive.

phucng_10
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM

And how old do you think I am? 16 years old I am. I save up my lunch money that my parents give me everyday and bring leftovers from last night to school to eat. That's how I get money to buy overgrips. $2 a day, $60 a month, I can buy myself a 30 pack Wilson pro Overgrip on TW for only $30.

But if you rather take the risk to get blisters and not being able to play tennis, then feel free to do so. I'm just showing you the correct way. Overgrips > Athletic Tape. What's meant for tennis should be for tennis. Athletic tape is meant for injuries, not to wrap your grip handle with it.

Kenny022593
10-08-2008, 08:46 PM
sorry im not that fortunate to get $2 a day from my parents if you add it up and do the math i get like $10 every other week and that is if im in dire need.

phucng_10
10-08-2008, 08:58 PM
sorry im not that fortunate to get $2 a day from my parents if you add it up and do the math i get like $10 every other week and that is if im in dire need.

Well, if you're willing to take the chances to get blisters and not be able to play then go ahead; I'm not stopping you.

(I'm pretty much just repeating myself.)

Ronaldo
10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Forgetabout athletic tape, find an old bicycle innertube, cut it, slide it over your grip, free gripsforlife.

rabidturtle
10-09-2008, 06:32 AM
They actually sell "Gauze tape" as an overgrip, I have some from gamma. In terms of playability, I think it is just like an old tournagrip, feels good for a few hits, then a slip and slide the rest of the time. It doesn't make the handle comfortable and it doesn't last very long.

eagle
10-09-2008, 07:01 AM
At least if he gets blisters, he can peel off a section of the tape and use it to cover it. :)

No worries. Give it a shot. You'll know for yourself if it will work or not. If it works, super. If not, then at least you gave it a shot.

r,
eagle

genotennis
10-09-2008, 11:04 AM
can anyone post a picture of this athletic tape pleasee

Ronaldo
10-09-2008, 11:25 AM
can anyone post a picture of this athletic tape pleasee

http://www.hockeyoutlet.com/HOprodinfo.php?category=Accessories&productSKU=107002

Will hockey blade tape work as well? Just don't wax your weapon, eh?

kimbahpnam
10-09-2008, 11:29 AM
well, at least during the time you can't play tennis because you have blisters you can save up for overgrips

Kenny022593
10-09-2008, 11:43 AM
well, at least during the time you can't play tennis because you have blisters you can save up for overgrips

he states the truth

and rabid the gamma stuff is just to expensive i mean 6$ for like maybe 3 replacements? not really worth it i mean 3 tournagrips are 5$ and since gauze doesnt last as long it just isnt worth it even more to pay 6$

http://www.*************goods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1237545

Im not advertising that is link to tape

the stars are penis sporting goods

lethalfang
10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
It's gotta be better than sandpaper!

bsandy
10-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I did it, when I was a kid.

Friction from your hand move it slightly, and you'll get the goo on your hand.

and . . .

It leaves goo behind when you take it off

. . . Bud

VGP
10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I did it, when I was a kid.

Friction from your hand move it slightly, and you'll get the goo on your hand.

and . . .

It leaves goo behind when you take it off

. . . Bud

^^^^^ this just sounds so wrong! ^^^^^

Raphael
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Athletic tape as an overgrip is not the best option you have.

But everybody who has responded to this thread has already covered that! :)

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Athletic tape as an overgrip is not the best option you have.

But everybody who has responded to this thread has already covered that! :)

Pretty much, I guess. He could just use the synthetic grip instead of damaging his hands with athletic tape. :-|

Drewwonu
10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Wait, isent athletic tape more expensive than overgrips anyhow?

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Wait, isent athletic tape more expensive than overgrips anyhow?

They're under $3 per roll at Target (Target brand Athletic tape). I bought mines for my index finger since I get blisters there a lot.

*off topic, 666 post... :shocked:*

rabidturtle
10-09-2008, 06:05 PM
and rabid the gamma stuff is just to expensive i mean 6$ for like maybe 3 replacements? not really worth it i mean 3 tournagrips are 5$ and since gauze doesnt last as long it just isnt worth it even more to pay 6$

I was not advertising for gamma gauze tape, it plays terrible and makes your racket slip out of your hand. I was referring to it as an example of "YES, you can play with athletic tape as an overgrip." As to encourage you to do what is best for you.

Kenny022593
10-09-2008, 06:48 PM
I was not advertising for gamma gauze tape, it plays terrible and makes your racket slip out of your hand. I was referring to it as an example of "YES, you can play with athletic tape as an overgrip." As to encourage you to do what is best for you.

haha i know you werent gamma over grips are not of the best quality i think anyways

Daycrawler
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
For real it will ruin your normal grip fyi. How do you pay for string? I'm assuming your a cheap because your not that good at tennis. Sorry, but if your good then you wouldn't be using athletic tape. Go get a job.

Drewwonu
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
For real it will ruin your normal grip fyi. How do you pay for string? I'm assuming your a cheap because your not that good at tennis. Sorry, but if your good then you wouldn't be using athletic tape. Go get a job.

Thats kind of harsh lol

Kenny022593
10-09-2008, 07:24 PM
lol hes just mad because people that are better than him are also cheaper than him and arnt old enough to have a job f*** read my other post

btw.. i use 15L string solves the problem of affording strings

nCode747
10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
tourna grip at walmart is 3$ for 3 grips.

Kenny022593
10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
tourna grip at walmart is 3$ for 3 grips.

seriously? i went on to the site and couldnt find anything

game set match 46 TIMES!!
10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
any jobs yet?

Kenny022593
10-09-2008, 07:45 PM
any jobs yet?

i feel like an uber spammer replying to all these but i dont just turn 16 in 1 day haha i am 16 end feb 2009 lol

Daycrawler
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
lol hes just mad because people that are better than him are also cheaper than him and arnt old enough to have a job f*** read my other post

Ha. Definitely not. If you were good then your parents wouldn't mind spending money on your tennis expenses because they know it would pay off later when if good enough to play in college. Also, You can get a job at 14 here. Where do
you live? There are plenty of things to do to make money. You can mow lawns, sell your old stuff on ****, plenty of opportunities it just seems like you are either too lazy or don't want to work.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
10-09-2008, 08:12 PM
my brother had a job when he was 14 and my dad when he was 14...

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Calm down on the profanity... do you have any friends that buys a bundle of grips? Maybe you can ask them to sell you one for $1 each or something. 1 grip can last you about a week or two depending on how many hours you play a day.

some6uy008
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Yonex Supergrab is very durable thought a bit harsh on the hands (at least on mine) and they're pretty cheap. So just save up if you can buy the Yonex stuff.

Also, he's just a kid. Give him a break, let me know it's a bad idea and leave it at that. I really don't see the need to add insult, it adds nothing and reflects poorly on your character.

Zeppy
10-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, at a sport chalet about 5 miles away from where I live, they sell 3 rolls of tournagrip for 3.50. I believe they have 3 rolls of wilson overgrip pro for the same price. So maybe you can check out a sport chalet near you?

Well, you can try using athletic tape for your overgrip, but I think it'll take a while before your hands get really calloused enough for you to stop getting blisters.

Ronaldo
10-10-2008, 04:29 AM
Cheapest overgrips are from KlipperUsa, 4/$2.50 or $.50 singles.

Kenny022593
10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Well, at a sport chalet about 5 miles away from where I live, they sell 3 rolls of tournagrip for 3.50. I believe they have 3 rolls of wilson overgrip pro for the same price. So maybe you can check out a sport chalet near you?

Well, you can try using athletic tape for your overgrip, but I think it'll take a while before your hands get really calloused enough for you to stop getting blisters.

what is sports chalet?

and thank you ronaldo for giving information on cheap stuff and not bombing about everything else

Ha. Definitely not. If you were good then your parents wouldn't mind spending money on your tennis expenses because they know it would pay off later when if good enough to play in college. Also, You can get a job at 14 here. Where do

and if that didnt make sense its like rewarding a kid for doing good on their report card wtf is that? its a givin that you should do good you shouldnt doo good because you get a reward for it
you live? There are plenty of things to do to make money. You can mow lawns, sell your old stuff on ****, plenty of opportunities it just seems like you are either too lazy or don't want to work.

i dont know about you but my parents are not the type that will buy me stuff just because i am good at it that is like a school expanding to the size of a skyscraper because they are good at having kids graduate. would they do that or would they leave the school the same size for all the kids that are already there? would more kids come to the school if it was the size of a skyscraper? no.

Ronaldo
10-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Play tennis with guys that are retired and try to keep the equipment expense as low as possible. Especially when they play 2-3 hrs/day.

Daycrawler
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
what is sports chalet?

and thank you ronaldo for giving information on cheap stuff and not bombing about everything else

i dont know about you but my parents are not the type that will buy me stuff just because i am good at it that is like a school expanding to the size of a skyscraper because they are good at having kids graduate. would they do that or would they leave the school the same size for all the kids that are already there? would more kids come to the school if it was the size of a skyscraper? no.
Dude. No offense but that analogy is ridiculous and makes absolutely no sense, I can't even find a correlation between that and what we are talking about. Furthermore, athletic tape ruins your grip and you will have to replace it later. Just dont use an overgrip?

VGP
10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
what is sports chalet?

Uh yeah, tell me how many colleges are still the same size as they started?

Or any school for that matter. How many one-room schoolhouses are still around?

Kenny022593
10-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Uh yeah, tell me how many colleges are still the same size as they started?

Or any school for that matter. How many one-room schoolhouses are still around?

its a good thing you dont read into analogies... im sorry i didnt specify highschools of the current era is better? im sorry that you have a simply mind here are som simple math equations 1+2=? 2+2=?

what is this formula? x=-bąљ^2-4ac
......................................2a

Is the sum of joe and annas age is 78 and joe is 8 years younger than gary how and gary is 7 years older than anna how old is anna?

factor completely x^2-7x+12

how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

btw it didnt get included in my analogy post because it was to long but its like why would parents give kids rewards for doing good on their report card? its expected of them to do good.

ag200boy
10-10-2008, 08:09 PM
its a good thing you dont read into analogies... im sorry i didnt specify highschools of the current era is better? im sorry that you have a simply mind here are som simple math equations 1+2=? 2+2=?

3, 4

quadratic formula

Is the sum of joe and annas age is 78 and joe is 8 years younger than gary how and gary is 7 years older than anna how old is anna?

38 and 1/2

(x-4)(x-3)

as much as he wanted

btw it didnt get included in my analogy post because it was to long but its like why would parents give kids rewards for doing good on their report card? its expected of them to do good.

helpful?

Kenny022593
10-10-2008, 08:14 PM

3, 4

quadratic formula

38 and 1/2

(x-4)(x-3)

as much as he wanted

helpful?

haha i just loled

btw for all those interested i used it today with no problems

ag200boy
10-10-2008, 08:42 PM
haha i just loled

btw for all those interested i used it today with no problems

haha good to hear!

thought i would lighten up this awful, flame filled thread :rolleyes:

Ronaldo
10-11-2008, 04:28 AM
www.sportschalet.com, Stores in Arizona, Utah, Nevada, & California

martini1
10-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Cut up an old wash cloth, those cotton towel type. It will be a much better grip. You can secure it by some duct tape or rubber band. The good thing is you can wash your grip as often as you like :)

autumn_leaf
10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
my roll of gauze cost my about $2 and i threw that **** away. it was complete garbage. i basically used it to build my grips up but taking it off is such a hassle later on cause it won't peel off and it leaves more residue than tournagrip.

Ronaldo
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
my roll of gauze cost my about $2 and i threw that **** away. it was complete garbage. i basically used it to build my grips up but taking it off is such a hassle later on cause it won't peel off and it leaves more residue than tournagrip.

Now you discovered the wonderful grips we had to endure back-in-the-day. Terry cloth and latex-coated gauze. Blisters were us.

Kenny022593
10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Now you discovered the wonderful grips we had to endure back-in-the-day. Terry cloth and latex-coated gauze. Blisters were us.

haha gauze doesnt seem all that bad ima give it a try soon

Ronaldo
10-13-2008, 08:59 AM
haha gauze doesnt seem all that bad ima give it a try soon

Your hands will not thank you as they grow so ruff, so tuff, eh?

phucng_10
10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Your hands will not thank you as they grow so ruff, so tuff, eh?

Well, let's let him experiment it and when his hand gets destroyed, he'll be coming to us for overgrip suggestions.

unprotennis
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
well this a first... lemme know how it plays

Kenny022593
10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Well, let's let him experiment it and when his hand gets destroyed, he'll be coming to us for overgrip suggestions.

haha i wont use over grip ill keep trying crap until i like it and if i do use an over grip ill get supergrap because i tryed ordering it from TW once and they said i couldnt with the order that i made because it was already processed and i tryed to order them a day late but i like the tape it stays really sticky which is nice just not for people who sweat like a monster haha