PDA

View Full Version : First time poly user, help!

mozzer
10-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Ok, so i break my poly/syngut hybrid every week or 2. Im 15 and really cant afford to pay 10 every week (dont suggest stringing machine, how can i afford one if i can only just afford strings?) I was planning on trying Pro supex Big Ace 1.17 or Blue Gear 1.19. Any other good suggestions. Not luxilon, too much $$$

Cheers

Irvin
10-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Which string breaks and where does it break?

Irvin

ls206
10-09-2008, 09:55 AM
where abouts are you in England? (if you don't mind my asking)

Your sig says that you already use Big Ace :p

mozzer
10-09-2008, 11:07 AM
My cross syn gut breaks in middle of sweetspot.

mozzer
10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Im in North west, Staffordshire/Cheshire, u? Yeah, but its in a hybrid and thats the problem, the multi/syngut breaks fast :S

Booyah
10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
i suggest you use a thicker gauge of polyester then, because the thinner gauge is cutting through your syn gut. i mean you syn gut is still going to get cut but at least it will last longer. you may also need to find a more durable syn gut.

Irvin
10-09-2008, 11:16 AM
My cross syn gut breaks in middle of sweetspot.

So you want to change the poly? I am so confused. Why not work with the syn gut?
You may want to change the gauge of the syn gut or go from multi to nylon string syn gut.

Irvin

mozzer
10-09-2008, 11:32 AM
i suggest you use a thicker gauge of polyester then, because the thinner gauge is cutting through your syn gut. i mean you syn gut is still going to get cut but at least it will last longer. you may also need to find a more durable syn gut.
I already use 1.25 poly and 1.22 syngut. Tried spiral flex and duraflex, didnt like it.
Irvin, i want to try full poly instead of my normal hybrid

ls206
10-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Im in North west, Staffordshire/Cheshire, u? Yeah, but its in a hybrid and thats the problem, the multi/syngut breaks fast :S
south east, lol. was gonna offer to string for you cheap :p

well...Blue Gear are * shaped right?
I would say, if you want the spin of Blue Gear, hybrid it with Big Ace :) (big ace has more power right?)

I know MSV is supposed to make a soft poly, you could try them out? (just so the full poly has a nicer feel)

Edit:
Does 1.30 syn gut break quite quickly too?
If you're looking for a poly that won't feel too stiff then try to get a lower gauge also. MSV co-focus 1.18 maybe.

tennisfreak15347
10-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I already use 1.25 poly and 1.22 syngut. Tried spiral flex and duraflex, didnt like it.

yes, definetly try a full bed of Big ace 1.25 first. Also, for the crosses, don't use such a thin guage, because it will not really help spin too much, just get the regular 1.30 for synthetic gut.

Nuke
10-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, go to a thicker guage in the syngut.

ls206
10-09-2008, 12:35 PM
yes, definetly try a full bed of Big ace 1.25 first. Also, for the crosses, don't use such a thin guage, because it will not really help spin too much, just get the regular 1.30 for synthetic gut.
Does a thinner gauge not aid the spin potential rather than hinder?

smirker
10-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Mozzer, are you using the Matrix Hybrid set by PSupex? If so you could buy 2 sets and use the poly from each set strung two piece. The poly (Big Ace) is 1.25. I was using the 1.22 as a full bed and cutting it out before it snapped on me whereas I was having the same problems as you before.

The problem is getting hold of Pro Supex strings over her, My source dried up and I have had to change (see sig) although I would have preferred to continue with the BA. I have looked into importing a reel but I guess you would not want to cough up the $90 to get it shipped from the US?

Out of interest, where do you get yours from?

tennisfreak15347
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Does a thinner gauge not aid the spin potential rather than hinder?

a thinner guage string does two things. it will increase ball bite, resulting in more spin, and it will make the string bend softer, resulting in more power and more spin.

mozzer
10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
The syngut i use is only available in 1.22 i think. Ok, so i think i will buy a set of big ace 1.17 (dunno where to get msv hex or whatever from in england) and maybe a set of blue gear 1.19.
Smirker, i will send u some mail about pro supex :D.

edit - U have an email? :D

10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Mozzer dont get the 1.17. i strung it up for the first time in my vantage and it broke in 30 mins.
Try full Big Ace 1.25 or 1.28. That will last a while.
Synth guts dont last long at all so forget about them tbh. I used to use PSGD in a hybrid with Big Ace but minute by minute you could actaully see them shredding:)

PS Mozzer email about Pro Supex, do you have any more info on them??
and you can get MSV from Matt Collins - msvhex@googlemail.com
I have just got a set off him to try.

smirker
10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
The syngut i use is only available in 1.22 i think. Ok, so i think i will buy a set of big ace 1.17 (dunno where to get msv hex or whatever from in england) and maybe a set of blue gear 1.19.
Smirker, i will send u some mail about pro supex :D.

edit - U have an email? :D

yes mate, e-mail enabled. MSV is available in the UK online if you do a search.

10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
LOL smirker your email isnt enabled:)

PS Have you looked at my sig?? Just thought you might might be interested:)

smirker
10-09-2008, 02:36 PM
LOL smirker your email isnt enabled:)

PS Have you looked at my sig?? Just thought you might might be interested:)

isn't it? oh dear. Better get that soted. See that mate but going to wait to get the SW machine.

10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
yeah thats fine...
how much is the SW?? have you asked them for the best price?? Its worth it, they quoted me 70 euro less than the stated price when i asked. However my used one was alot cheaper so i took that instead

smirker
10-09-2008, 02:49 PM
yeah thats fine...
how much is the SW?? have you asked them for the best price?? Its worth it, they quoted me 70 euro less than the stated price when i asked. However my used one was alot cheaper so i took that instead

I was going to order off the TT-Stringer site but will compare/contrast with SW direct. I want the double/triple FC option, then when you factor in postage etc. I have their price list so will be able to haggle on list price.

ls206
10-09-2008, 03:14 PM
a thinner guage string does two things. it will increase ball bite, resulting in more spin, and it will make the string bend softer, resulting in more power and more spin.
I guess I read your post wrong, I know the properties of the string gauges but your post said along the lines of
"don't get the thinner gauge, it won't help spin too much"
but I guess you meant - there's no need to use a thinner gauge for the crosses as it won't help spin :p
man sometimes it's hard to understand posts cos in real life they are said very differently to how they're read :)

@1012007
you tried the MSV strings yet? any thoughts?
edit: also cheers for the email, just reading now