PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar on the Crosses?

Infl8edEg0
10-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Has anyone done this before? I think I might just try it because I have a reel of kevlar 16 laying around in my house. I doubt it'll saw through multi/syn mains because my kevlar isn't stiff at all.

region2champion
10-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Dont do it I cant stand it

lethalfang
10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Has anyone done this before? I think I might just try it because I have a reel of kevlar 16 laying around in my house. I doubt it'll saw through multi/syn mains because my kevlar isn't stiff at all.

The time it typically takes you to break a set of strings, it'll take 1/3 of that with kevlar at the crosses.

ag200boy
10-09-2008, 05:24 PM

your kevlar isnt stiff???:confused:

Infl8edEg0
10-09-2008, 08:21 PM
your kevlar isnt stiff???:confused:

it's hard, but...err, not like poly stiff...idk how to describe it.

lethalfang
10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
multi main and kevlar cross?
You may as well string the mains with Swiss cheese and the cross with a knife.

TonLars
10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
The time it typically takes you to break a set of strings, it'll take 1/3 of that with kevlar at the crosses.

3x as long you mean right?

Anyways, I use a hybrid string with Kevlar, its called Forten sweet Aramid 16g. Been using that now for a few years. It definitely lasts a long time and it plays good enough for me. Havent tried anything else though actually since I started using it. From what I can tell and have heard, it is good for spin production too

lethalfang
10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
3x as long you mean right?

Anyways, I use a hybrid string with Kevlar, its called Forten sweet Aramid 16g. Been using that now for a few years. It definitely lasts a long time and it plays good enough for me. Havent tried anything else though actually since I started using it. From what I can tell and have heard, it is good for spin production too

But did you put Kevlar on the mains?
The OP is talking about multi/synthetics on the main, and kevlar on the Crosses.

TonLars
10-09-2008, 09:12 PM
But did you put Kevlar on the mains?
The OP is talking about multi/synthetics on the main, and kevlar on the Crosses.

Oh sorry, yeah, my kevlar is on the mains. Shows how little I know about equipment. I dont string it though so I have an excuse:) I just play and teach

mawashi
10-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Oh sorry, yeah, my kevlar is on the mains. Shows how little I know about equipment. I dont string it though so I have an excuse:) I just play and teach

Definitely a player and not a stringer or gear junkie and I say that as a compliment!

Kevlar mains good, kevlar cross real bad on the main strings.

Kevlar is pretty stiff but it's the abrasive properties of kevlar fibers that'll cut through the other string in no time.

I've hit with a frame strung with kevlar hybrid with poly and man it was harsh!

mawashi

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I don't think you should do that. Since Kevlar is a dead powered string with superb bite, you might just want to put it on the mains.

I'm running some I-D-K branded Kevlar and Forton Nylons for about 5-6 months now and they're still holding onto me. It was stiff at first but once it broke in a bit, I got the hang of the Kevlar.

ogruskie
10-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm getting slightly paranoid because I've had a Kevlar/syn gut combo for about 2 weeks, and the kevlar is already somewhat SLIGHTLY frayed. I play everyday for about 2 hours. How much longer is it going to hold up?

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm getting slightly paranoid because I've had a Kevlar/syn gut combo for about 2 weeks, and the kevlar is already somewhat SLIGHTLY frayed. I play everyday for about 2 hours. How much longer is it going to hold up?

Do not worry about it looking like that. Mines has a bunch of ball fuzz and it looks like it's about to snap. It'll stay for a long while even if you're going to blast your shots.

lob-ster
10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
if i used my current setup with the aramid gear in the crosses, the gear texture will slice through the forten sweet in 2 hits

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
if i used my current setup with the aramid gear in the crosses, the gear texture will slice through the forten sweet in 2 hits

Most likely it will. The Kevlar is rigid so once it rubs onto the mains while you're doing a topspin, it's going to snap.

Infl8edEg0
10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
so I think it's pretty much unanimous, no kevlar on crosses. lol

lob-ster
10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
so I think it's pretty much unanimous, no kevlar on mains. lol

other way around

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 10:24 PM
so I think it's pretty much unanimous, no kevlar on mains. lol

Kevlar on mains*

lob-ster
10-09-2008, 10:29 PM
then again, when i tried kevlar for the first time the stringer(Sports Chalet) was idiotic enough to put the kevlar in the crosses...
played horribly...
broke in a month

TonLars
10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
No Kevlar in the crosses! lol

LawnChairGeneral
10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
kevlar on crosses as long as it is also on the mains.

my elbow hurts just thinking about it.

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 10:36 PM
then again, when i tried kevlar for the first time the stringer(Sports Chalet) was idiotic enough to put the kevlar in the crosses...
played horribly...
broke in a month

Don't they ask which strings do you want in the mains or crosses if you're running a Hybrid?

lob-ster
10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
not at my location
it was prince problend...
they reccommended it
" Oh, it has a nice feel, spin and control!"
Ummmm....
FEEL?

phucng_10
10-09-2008, 10:48 PM
not at my location
they reccommended it
Ummmm....
FEEL?

You're from the southern part of California? Anyways, I lol'd at their string recommendations. I mean some of the Sport Chalet workers know what they're talking about, but there are others where you ask them questions and you 99.9% know that they're bullcrapping it.

Infl8edEg0
10-10-2008, 02:13 PM
No Kevlar in the crosses! lol

right. (10chars)

ag200boy
10-10-2008, 02:27 PM
it's hard, but...err, not like poly stiff...idk how to describe it.

ok...

whatever you say..

lob-ster
10-10-2008, 03:01 PM
You're from the southern part of California? Anyways, I lol'd at their string recommendations. I mean some of the Sport Chalet workers know what they're talking about, but there are others where you ask them questions and you 99.9% know that they're bullcrapping it.

Im from Central CA.
and Yeah

lethalfang
10-10-2008, 04:09 PM
not at my location
they reccommended it
Ummmm....
FEEL?

I'd recommend kevlar crosses too if I were the stringer.
"Broke that set again? No problem! Give me your wallet!"