PDA

View Full Version : Protection of your body - wrists, elbows, etc.

dmonopoly10
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Practically everywhere I look I find mention of tennis injuries. Is there anything that can be done to PREVENT injuries? Good form, of course, but other than that - what else?

I recently realized that a western grip - which is what I use - can do damage to the wrist. What can be done to prevent a possible future injury on that body part? There's no way I can afford surgery...

And if there's anything else that can be done to prevent injuries - wrist, elbow, knee, wherever - please mention it. I'm sure I and many others would find it beneficial.

Daycrawler
10-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Practically everywhere I look I find mention of tennis injuries. Is there anything that can be done to PREVENT injuries? Good form, of course, but other than that - what else?

I recently realized that a western grip - which is what I use - can do damage to the wrist. What can be done to prevent a possible future injury on that body part? There's no way I can afford surgery...

And if there's anything else that can be done to prevent injuries - wrist, elbow, knee, wherever - please mention it. I'm sure I and many others would find it beneficial.

I take a supplement called,"Acute" from Optimal Health Systems, you can google it. It's the same stuff that all the major NBA players take, they are the health trainers for them. It's an anti-inflammatory without painkiller, so you still have some discomfort but your kidneys and liver can still function when you take it daily. Also, stretching after you get done playing, stretching for 10-15 minutes hold stretches for 30-45 seconds at a time. Weight Lifting can also strengthen your muscles and allow for them to get used to that stress of weights and the constant use. Those are the things I do and I play seven days a week, 3-5 hours a day.

dmonopoly10
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
There's got to more...right?

How about this: can someone explain how a Western grip can hurt the wrist? I don't understand how - when I use it, everything seems fine (apart from low shots, which are a bit harder to pull off). Does the grip make it more likely to bend the wrist?

AlpineCadet
10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
If you are already having wrist problems, a video would help out, because it might just be your technique.

El Diablo
10-10-2008, 09:03 AM
The idea that an antiinflammatory might prevent injury is medically irrational. Inflammation is one of the ways the body heals minor injuries; taking an antiinflammatory regularly could interfere with that process.

Japanese Maple
10-10-2008, 09:16 AM

How old are you? How often do you play and at what level?

spdskr
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
I have incurred both knee and wrist injuries from tennis in the past 12 months. Neither was attributed to form or overall conditioning. Last November I ruptured a bursa in my left knee while lunging left at the net. The result was swelling and a loss in range of motion for about 10 days. I switched shoes and haven't had a problem since. Pain in my right wrist progressively worsened over the summer as a result of playing against a big serving opponent regularly and hitting late on kicking forehand returns. I now tape that wrist before matches and the pain has subsided.

I work out regularly and aside from tennis, ski, bike, hike...etc. I don't really believe there is a magical preventative for sports injuries, but certainly staying in shape and having proper technique will lessen their chances of occurring.

dmonopoly10
10-10-2008, 12:35 PM
How old are you? How often do you play and at what level?

I'm 15, nearing 16 years old, and I'm an intermediate player. Western grip, kick serve, so and so...

Off season, maybe 2-5 times a week. On season, every - single - day.

But come on! Is there really no answer to this?

El Diablo
10-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Anyone who does the western grip, kick serve trauma to his body "every - single - day" is begging for injuries.

Daycrawler
10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
The idea that an antiinflammatory might prevent injury is medically irrational. Inflammation is one of the ways the body heals minor injuries; taking an antiinflammatory regularly could interfere with that process.
And would you like to explain how the body does this? I've just looked on WedMd, and several other medical websites and haven't found any proof or scientifc research to your claim. I'm not denying what you said, I'm interested in what your saying, if you do find the medical report if you could post a link thanks.
Back on topic, there really isn't. You can just make sure to use right technique but in all honesty the body wasn't made to play tennis as with any other sport. Your bound to get injured at one point or another. Playing too much can give you tendinitis. I've heard that western grip users experience more tennis elbow related injuries then others but just live with the pain.

dmonopoly10
10-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Anyone who does the western grip, kick serve trauma to his body "every - single - day" is begging for injuries.

But that's only on season. I still see your point though. I think I'll gradually switch to a semi-western. That's probably more suitable anyways since I find it interesting to go up to net.

El Diablo
10-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Daycrawler
I practice medicine for a living; websites like WebMD don't teach you physiology terribly well. Inflammation in response to injury (as opposed to pathologic inflammation) is one of the ways the body heals itself. Heat and redness reflect increased circulation to the area to bring building-blocks and remove damaged tissue. Local white blood cell count in the area increases to prevent infection such as cellulitis. Swelling and stiffness are thought to be nature's splint, reducing mobility to promote healing. Various macrocytes cannibalize damaged tissue. Taking a medicine to routinely prevent this process seems foolish to me.

Daycrawler
10-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Daycrawler
I practice medicine for a living; websites like WebMD don't teach you physiology terribly well. Inflammation in response to injury (as opposed to pathologic inflammation) is one of the ways the body heals itself. Heat and redness reflect increased circulation to the area to bring building-blocks and remove damaged tissue. Local white blood cell count in the area increases to prevent infection such as cellulitis. Swelling and stiffness are thought to be nature's splint, reducing mobility to promote healing. Various macrocytes cannibalize damaged tissue. Taking a medicine to routinely prevent this process seems foolish to me.
Interesting thanks. Why is it then when I take the Acute, I don't feel as sore and I can move more freely.