PDA

View Full Version : Alternate strings for ultimate hybrid...possible?

jcstennis
10-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Ok, i had an idea... may not be new, but could this work...

example: looking to hybrid using a poly and multi

if measured correctly and had enough clamps, using two kinds of string...

could you string one main with string type one, then string the next main with string type two... repeat and follow this pattern, then into the crosses?

maybe like this: poly, multi, poly, mulit...etc (or poly every other main and multi the others, etc.... then the crosses)

i know this would cause a lot of overlapping outside of the grommets and use a lot of string...

TW Staff
10-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Ok, i had an idea... may not be new, but could this work...

example: looking to hybrid using a poly and multi

if measured correctly and had enough clamps, using two kinds of string...

could you string one main with string type one, then string the next main with string type two... repeat and follow this pattern, then into the crosses?

maybe like this: poly, multi, poly, mulit...etc (or poly every other main and multi the others, etc.... then the crosses)

i know this would cause a lot of overlapping outside of the grommets and use a lot of string...

The only way possible to perform your request, would be for a manufacturer to make a string, specific to the string pattern for the racquet that would fit your description of having a polyester/multi alternating every other pull. Any other way, would probably defect your grommets and or your racquet.

Danny, TW

Irvin
10-10-2008, 07:29 AM
For rackets with six grommet holes in the throat - no. For O3 rackets - no. For all other rackets - depends.

BUT WAIT! Where there is a will there is a way. You do seem to be non-conformist. I hate people that won't conform. For the O3 if you wrap the string around the inside of the frame and in and out of grommet holes it IS possible. For rackets with six grommet holes in the throat if you wrapped the string around from the throat to the side of the frame it IS possible.

Now if you are using a four piece string job you are going to have eight knots and that could present a problem. But no hill for a climber. And if you have an odd number of crosses you will have to determine which cross string will have the extra cross. But with a mind like ours that issue could be worked out in only a few weeks.

I myself am working on stringing a racket from the outside in and put the tie that binds dead center in the sweet spot. I think it will give me a good bite on the ball. Do you think I should start the crosses from top to bottom or bottom to top? I am thinking the only real way to do this is with the 50/50 method.

Reminds me of a line from Forest Gump. I just forgot which one. The line was in the movie several times. I don't think Forest liked the question much because he always had a somber look on his face when someone asked it.

Irvin

Irvin
10-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I just had another idea on the same vane. You could tie the poly and multi together and string the mains so the poly was on one side and the multi on the other. One on the left and the other on the right but all mains on the same plane and string the mains ab normal a I mean as normal.

Then use two separate cross strings to string the crosses alternating the poly and multis.

Wonder is TW will make another forum for us so the normal stringers won't be stealing all our ideas?

Irvin

Il Mostro
10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Sure you can do it, just need *lots* of knots -- knock yourself out.

jcstennis
10-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Well, could you string every other main- or skip every other main first (poly),clamp it off before stringing crosses (still a one piece)... then string up the other strings (syn, multi, what have you) in the open mains (one piece) clamp 'em, then start the crosses...

would that deform the racquet?

if you pre-weave it, one piece, still just 4 knots.

Irvin
10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Oh my gosh. If you have a racket with 18 mains there will be four main strings of poly on one side with five multis and the opposite on the other side.

Do you think this will mess up the overall balance of the racket?

Irvin

Irvin
10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, could you string every other main- or skip every other main first (poly),clamp it off before stringing crosses (still a one piece)... then string up the other strings (syn, multi, what have you) in the open mains (one piece) clamp 'em, then start the crosses...

would that deform the racquet?

if you pre-weave it, one piece, still just 4 knots.

No that will work fine. I strung a babolat racket one time and skipped every other string (mains and crosses) just to see how it would play. And I strung it one piece with two knots.

You would just have to make sure when you run all the cross strings in the first time you put them all on the same plane either all above or all below the mains. When you start the second set of main the mains should sandwich the cross strings I think so you have no weabe with three planes of strings - mains, crosses, and mains. Then run the cross strings making all the weaves. I would do the poly last if this method works for your racket because you are going to run into a lot of blocked holes. Won't be any speed weaving here this time.

Irvin

Irvin
07-12-2009, 04:39 AM
'jcstennis' if you are still playing with the Dunlop 200 4D you can do it just like this:

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/Irvin44_2008/HPIM28271.jpg

I used two different types of SG to do this one gold and one crystal but it would work the same. Since I had six grommet holes in the throat I had to go 2x2 but if you have eight you go every other string.

You have to have and entry hole and exit hole for each different string in the throat.

Irvin

jcstennis
07-12-2009, 05:00 PM
damn... looks good! 4 knots right?(2 piece... not 4 pieces)

the 2x2 except for outer strings... ok, got it... so far makes sense... nice and even

time to go experiment :)

thanks for the email...