PDA

View Full Version : Bad String Job !!

Tombhoneb
10-10-2008, 05:14 AM
I checked the knot locations on my friends racket before i cut them out and then i noticed this .....

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qaifdd.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2v0mvlf.jpg

Is there any reason a stringer would do this ?

stringwalla
10-10-2008, 05:20 AM
It's a "starting knot". Hard to tell the location on the frame from your picture.

The location of this and the other knots would tell the whole story-

Irvin
10-10-2008, 05:32 AM
I am not sure where the knots are but judging from the fact they are two different knots only one could be a starting knot. Looks like one is a bulkier knot so it could have been a starting knot. But neither is knotted around a string.

Reason for doing this? Not sure, but it looks someone trying something new or someone new trying something. In the top picture it looks like there is also a bad nick in a string.

Irvin

Tombhoneb
10-10-2008, 05:44 AM
ok, sorry ... i am new to stringing and i only got taught that a knot is tied round a string. It looked a bit dodgy to me as 2 of the knots are round a string and 2 of them are not, with one knot embedded in the grommet. I thought there must be some reason for doing this ... i will upload a pic of the whole frame with knot locations when my phone (cam) is done charging.

Cheers

Here we go ...

http://i38.tinypic.com/2b5jx5.jpg

princemidplus
10-10-2008, 05:51 AM
those knots look highly suspicious to me. not a pro stringer but they do not look like they are tied around the cross or mains string. They look more like the knot was tied in the end of the string and then the tension in the string allowed to pull the knot to wedge itself in the grommet.

As far as I am aware, you are supposed to tied the knot around the string as an anchor. A starting knot is large but it is still tied around a string.

Irvin
10-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Sounds like two piece string job where the cross strings were put in without tying them off around a main string. These were knots merely place in the crosses and tension was pulled. The knot eventually will pull through the grommet.

I am not sure how you can get the right tension on the string tying a knot like that on the last cross string. Try to move the bottom cross string up and down to see if there is any tension on it.

Irvin

Irvin
10-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Now it is getting more suspicious both of the questionable knots are at the bottom of the frame. This may be a spice. The strings also look well worn has the racket been played with much after stringing? Doesn't look good no matter what it is.

Irvin

GPB
10-29-2008, 06:35 AM
What kind of racket is that... a blueish-purpleish Wilson with PWS... I'm curious!

diredesire
10-29-2008, 09:01 AM
There are approved knots that do not require tying around an anchor string. The "figure 8" knot, from what I understand is one of these. They shouldn't be used as tie offs, though, only for starting knots.

Tombhoneb
10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
What kind of racket is that... a blueish-purpleish Wilson with PWS... I'm curious!

Sorry for the late reply...

Its a Wilson Hammer 5.9 (tapered beam) . Its a fairly old racket. They brought a new paintjob of it out in red and thats as far as i know. Its my friends racket and she refuses to change it... even though the frame has been brutaly punished !! Im not going to string it again, i would bet 100 the frame would snap !!