PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried eye black in tennis?

martini1
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.telegram.com/static/screensavers/photos/pats/tom_brady1024.jpg

How come it works in baseball and football but not in tennis? Even if you wear sun glasses you can get glare reflecting from your cheeks. It should be pretty useful if you are playing day games.

phucng_10
10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Er, no. Let's leave that to Baseball and Football.

william7gr
10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Ill let you try it and see how much you get laughed at then maybe ill try it

martini1
10-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Ill let you try it and see how much you get laughed at then maybe ill try it

People only laugh at loud mouth losers. If you got your ***** kicked you can't laugh anymore can't you?

People used to laugh at everything. So what. Just think how many things people used to laugh at:

Dark sunglasses
Long hair / pony tail (men)
3/4 shorts
baggie shorts/shirt
tie shorts/shirt
sleeveless
thick bandannas (between the late 80's till Federer)
the list goes on and on...

:lol:

Il Mostro
10-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Priceless. I almost **** myself! Crazy funny stuff.

LafayetteHitter
10-11-2008, 10:07 AM
People only laugh at loud mouth losers. If you got your ***** kicked you can't laugh anymore can't you?

People used to laugh at everything. So what. Just think how many things people used to laugh at:

Dark sunglasses
Long hair / pony tail (men)
3/4 shorts
baggie shorts/shirt
tie shorts/shirt
sleeveless
thick bandannas (between the late 80's till Federer)
the list goes on and on...

:lol:

I still laugh at most of these.

JW10S
10-11-2008, 11:00 AM
It doesn't work for baseball and football--it's just an affectation...

canadave
10-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I really don't understand why everyone in this thread has either pooh-poohed the OP or has made fun of him, rather than considering and replying to what is actually a very good question.

First of all, studies have shown that eye black DOES reduce glare from sunlight or stadium lights (yes, there have actually been studies done) for sports like baseball and football, and does make it easier for players to see the ball. The question thus becomes, Would it have equal benefits in tennis?

I haven't ever tried it for tennis, but I'm guessing it probably wouldn't make as much of a difference as with sports like baseball and football. Reason being, in tennis the ball is "below" the sun or lights, and thus you're rarely looking right into it. The highly visible yellow of the ball would also probably reduce the need for glare reduction.

The exception would be those times when you're serving while looking up into the sun/lights during your toss. I'm wondering if eye black might actually help slightly. I think it probably wouldn't make a difference in that case either, since you're either looking right into the light--in which case you've got bigger problems than eye black can cure--or you're looking slightly to the side, and tracking your toss via the corner of your eye...in which case the glare shouldn't be a problem. Plus, YOU control the toss; it's not like somebody's throwing a ball for you to catch or hit; so it's not as important to be able to visually pick up the ball from an indeterminate location....you have a good idea where it's supposed to be anyway because you threw it there.

Anyhow, this is all just speculation on my part, but it's a fascinating question, and a good one. It's too bad the OP hasn't been taken more seriously.

--Dave

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I might try sunglasses, as the timing of my tennis clinic is horrendous. it starts exactly when the sun is glaring onto one side of the court, so they cannot play at all. even with a large hat, it wont help, especially on volleys. I literally have to guess where the ball is and hope i connect.

ag200boy
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I really don't understand why everyone in this thread has either pooh-poohed the OP or has made fun of him, rather than considering and replying to what is actually a very good question.

First of all, studies have shown that eye black DOES reduce glare from sunlight or stadium lights (yes, there have actually been studies done) for sports like baseball and football, and does make it easier for players to see the ball. The question thus becomes, Would it have equal benefits in tennis?

I haven't ever tried it for tennis, but I'm guessing it probably wouldn't make as much of a difference as with sports like baseball and football. Reason being, in tennis the ball is "below" the sun or lights, and thus you're rarely looking right into it. The highly visible yellow of the ball would also probably reduce the need for glare reduction.

The exception would be those times when you're serving while looking up into the sun/lights during your toss. I'm wondering if eye black might actually help slightly. I think it probably wouldn't make a difference in that case either, since you're either looking right into the light--in which case you've got bigger problems than eye black can cure--or you're looking slightly to the side, and tracking your toss via the corner of your eye...in which case the glare shouldn't be a problem. Plus, YOU control the toss; it's not like somebody's throwing a ball for you to catch or hit; so it's not as important to be able to visually pick up the ball from an indeterminate location....you have a good idea where it's supposed to be anyway because you threw it there.

Anyhow, this is all just speculation on my part, but it's a fascinating question, and a good one. It's too bad the OP hasn't been taken more seriously.

--Dave

exceptional post.

much better then all the flaming ....

Lejanius
10-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I played baseball from the time I was 5 (well T-ball back then) through college and I can say with 100% confidence eye black does actually work however most of the time it was only useful one balls hit into the sun or in close proximity to the sun.

in Tennis I could only see it helping with serving into the sun or overheads into the sun, aside from that it is useless in my opinion.

However give it a go and see if it helps, when it comes to serving into the sun it certainly would help. Throw some in your bag and try it next time your serving and let us know what you think.

although I should warn you eye black does melt if it gets warm so if you leave it in your bag and it is a super hot day and you take the cap off be warned.

davey
10-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Didn't Rafter use eye black sometimes?

martini1
10-11-2008, 11:13 PM

--Dave

Great post Dave. You know, there are many 15 yr old on this board. So if I read something like those I try not to take them too seriously. You never know if they are just kids.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I also think it may be a bit useful if the sun is setting. It may not be directly into your face but I notice that if you are wearing sunglasses it would be worse if the light hit your cheek at an angle and reflects to the inside part of the glasses. There is no way to it unless you are wearing goggle type sunglasses, or place some eye black on your cheek and have the sunglasses on. You are right about the ball and you are looking down or level most of the time. In that case eye black may not have any benefits.

On top of that, eye black is only popular in north America. I got some European friends who think eye black is some native American war paint :)

Azzurri
10-12-2008, 08:35 AM
I still laugh at most of these.

me too. I let out a laugh and my wife asked me what I was watching on the Net. I showed her the OP's post and she laughed too. Pretty funny.:)