PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Hyper PS 5.0 Versus Babolat PD Standard ..need help!

LeeKS
03-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Hello :D .... I'm new here.

I Would like to hear some experience from all you guys about the 2 racquets, Wilson Hyper PS 5.0 and Babolat PD Standard.

Anything and everything about them are welcome... pros and cons.

I'm unable to demo this 2 racquets, cause the pro shops heavily promoting prince only.

I'm a 4.0 and all rounder type of player. I'm looking to add some power and consistency into my baseline game.

Which is better for one handed backhand?

Thank you.

tennisman
03-30-2004, 06:51 AM
the pure drive is horrible for one handed backhands imo. the wilson, on the other hand, is excellent for such shots

kreative
03-30-2004, 12:48 PM
team babolat....

otherwise, demo from TW and find out for yourself. :shock:

LeeKS
03-31-2004, 12:43 AM
Hi tennis man!! Thanks for sharing.
From the TW review .... Babolat PD get some pretty high score for ground stroke. Why is it bad for a one handed backhand?? :roll:

I have to agree to you in some way that most of the players i see that use the Bobalat PD, stroke with double backhand instead of single.

Anyone here playing with a Babolat PD and a one handed backhand, what is your experience? good or bad.
Would appreciate your comment on it.

Thank you.

kreative
03-31-2004, 12:46 AM
i know several one handers that use the std just fine. the plus may be tougher to get around thou. good pop w/ nice spin potential

Brian10s
03-31-2004, 12:07 PM
I recently switched from a Babolat standard PD back to my trustee HPS 5.0. While I mainly have a two-handed backhand, I do incorporate a one-handed slice. I just felt like my groundies became too whippy with the PD. With the extra weight of the HPS 5.0, my groundies feel more stable, and I can drive through the ball. I just hope my arm can survive the stiffness of the HPS 5.0. Anyway, that is my two cents.

Matt H.
03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
well, i too had a babolat PD std and i switched back to my ps 5.0 a few months ago....i also use a 1 handed backhand

power-wise, both are the same. Both are stiff racquets, though the wilson is slightly more stiff. Main thing was the weight, like Brian said. I tried putting lead tape all over the babolat, but the wilson just had the right amount of weight to start with.

I think the ball comes off the racquet better with the wilson. Feels cleaner through the air, where as the babolat had a more sporatic ball flight. The margin of where it was going to land wasn't as tight as the wilson. Plus, the babolat was a big time string eater for me. :?

LeeKS
03-31-2004, 08:27 PM
Brian,

Thanks for your input.

Both racquet are stiff.

The 5.0 is stiff, slighly more than the Babolat and everyone seem to be complaining about 5.0 stifness problem but not soo much on the Babolat PD.

If the 5.0 strung at a lower tension say 57-58 lbs. It should be ok, i think :wink: and use a softer string.

What is your set up?

Thank you.

LeeKS
03-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Matt,

Thanks for sharing.
By the way, is the 5.0 as forgiving as the Babolat PD interms of sweetspot?

And, Have you ever bother by the 5.0 stiffness problem?
What is your set-up?

Thank you.

LeeKS
03-31-2004, 09:57 PM
Dear all,

What do you all think about the Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.3 MidPlus?
Is it good. I read the review from TW and found it quite attractive.
I'm thinking that this racquet can be a back-up racquet for me. :wink: In case, i get tire of swinging with a 12ounce plus stick in a middle of the game - i can change.

The Babolat is expensive.. :shock:
For the price, I can get purchase Wilson PS5.0 and Wilson HH6.3.

By doing some math and thinking very hard .. With all the hype! can the Babolat PD really help improve my game and consistency, does it really worth it?

Many people from the forum said it does and i'm convinve it does it some way but most importantly does it fit the person style of playing.

Ummm.... :!: :!: :?: :?:

Brian10s
04-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Right now, I am using a soft string (wilson sensation), strung at 58 lbs. It seems to be a good mix for my arm so far. I actually preferred the Wilson Surge to the PD. Have you tried that racket? It is a little cheaper than the PD, and several people seem to think that it is essentially Wilson's "copy" of the PD. Anyway, I am happy being reunited with the HPS 5.0, after trying out both the PD and the Surge. I have re-discovered hitting through the ball instead of trying to generate whippy spin. Also, my serve does better with the added weight.

Matt H.
04-01-2004, 04:03 PM
well, as far as forgiving goes....it's kinda 2-sided.

The prostaff is heavier and more stable, so off-center hits don't jerk the racquet around as much like the babolat. However, between the stiffness and the off-center hit, you will definitely feel it.

I don't have any problems with stiffness at all. I use Gosen OG Micro strung at 62, and i now have a leather grip w/ wilson pro overgrip on it.

LeeKS
04-01-2004, 10:47 PM
:D Guys ... Opiniosn please!!! :!: !

Should i spent the money to buy 2 racquets (Wilson HPS5.0 and HH6.3) instead of 1 Babolat PD. :twisted:

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not Anti-Babolat PD. :wink: Just want to hear all you guys opinons. The Babolat PD is a beautiful racquet. I love the design and its' cool look. :wink:

BTW Is the above Wilson's racquet a good Combo??? :?:

baseliner
04-02-2004, 04:48 AM
I used the HPS 5.0 for 2 years strung toward top of range and never had any arm or shoulder problems. I played 4 days a week for one of those years. It is a stiff hefty racket which I found well suited to high-level (4.5 or 5.0) doubles. In singles I did not feel I could hit out with it so I ended up eventually switching to the HPS 6.1. As for Leeks question of racket combos, I have always used 2 identical rackets. I have always wanted 2 identical rackets. I try to switch rackets every changeover so the grip stays dry and teh string wear is similar. When string breaks in one, I cut it out of the other and string both at same time with same type string at same tension.

Brian10s
04-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Well, the Babolat PD did not improve my game. But, everyone is different, with different likes and dislikes. I would be very hesitant about buying a racket without demoing it for a at least a week or so. A couple of years ago, I read the review for the Prince Triple Threat Warrior. I thought that it matched up perfectly with my game. I bought one without trying it out and hated it. My search for the holy grail of tennis rackets always brings my back to the HPS 5.0. I have never tried the 6.3, so I have nothing to add regarding that racket. Of course, I've probably been no help altogether. Good luck with your choice.

kreative
04-02-2004, 11:24 AM
all 3 are good racquets, and are worth demoing to find out which you like best. if you are competetive, you may want to have 2 identical racquets.

when factoring in cost, you also have to ask yourself if you felt the PD played better than either of the other racquets. it would be worth it (to me at least) if i really liked the way the PD played, and only felt OK w/ the others. i agree that the price is a bit hefty, but sometimes it's worth it.

again, they're all good racquets to try out and you can demo from TW :lol:

LeeKS
04-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks a lot guys ...
Thanks for the advise and information.
Wilson Hyper Prostaff 5.0 will be my choice for now.