PDA

View Full Version : sppp and big aces

DizBoiDanny
10-11-2008, 06:53 AM
So, im thinking about trying a hybrid with big aces/gosen or sppp/gosen. I have read some great feedback about those two strings, but i want a review, a short review from people that tried both strings.

PED
10-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Big ace has more power than SPPP and is more lively overall. Since you are using the lm Radical, you can probably get away with the BA with no excess power issues. The tight string pattern and low powered nature of the radical should work well with BA.

SPPP is not low powered but it's lowered powered than BA. I think the control might be better with the SPPP and the spin overall should be about the same between the 2.

mikaelkoh
10-11-2008, 07:25 AM
i use sppp/gosen micro on both my LM Rad MP and LM Rad Tour MP. i string them at 51/53lbs.

Resilient combi. Takes about 2 hrs of playing for me to "loosen up" the strings a bit. Then it goes pretty sweet consistently till around the 16th hour of play. After that, the loss in feel tapers off but not in a steep decline like some other combi. I could play with it beyond the 24th hour but not for matchplay.

in terms of feel, i think there are beter options out than gosen. But for durability, this combi is great. since the performance and feel curve doesn't nosedive, i was lucky to improve my strokes through the longer "golden hours" compared to other strings i tried in the past. i've also managed to pro-long my stringing intervals.

Overall spin is abt the same regardless of strings. But im on 17 gauge for both strings so that helped a bit. I'm neutral about comments on control and spin because i believe that is largely the player's part.

in summary, a value-for-money option. i'm on my 6th string job and very satisfied. It lets me focus on my game rather than the technical nitty-gritty.

smirker
10-11-2008, 07:33 AM
So, im thinking about trying a hybrid with big aces/gosen or sppp/gosen. I have read some great feedback about those two strings, but i want a review, a short review from people that tried both strings.

I prefer the BA over SPPP. The set of SPPP I had sheared at the middle main after not much play and I found it less comfortable than BA.

DizBoiDanny
10-11-2008, 07:38 AM
how about forten sweet 17 as a cross? i heard some good in em. and i heard gosen loses it tension pretty quickly.

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 07:56 AM
yup, gosen loses too much tension by the 4-5th hour of play for me.

nickarnold2000
10-11-2008, 09:27 AM
how about forten sweet 17 as a cross? i heard some good in em. and i heard gosen loses it tension pretty quickly.
I use Sweet 17 as a cross with CF and much prefer it to Gosen. The Sweet reel is a little more expensive but worth it IMO

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I use Sweet 17 as a cross with CF and much prefer it to Gosen. The Sweet reel is a little more expensive but worth it IMO

yup. theres a reason gosen reels are only $29.99 for 660 ft...

DizBoiDanny
10-11-2008, 03:34 PM
well i bought some gosen. I'm not really senative to string tension lost or playability. so i should do fine. but next time i will buy some sweet 17