PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut and multi hybrid

sciwriter
10-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Would I gain anything using by using an hybrid of natural gut in mains and a high-end multi like NRG2 or Biphase in the crosses? Or would it just increase the power and lose control compared to natural gut alone? Has anybody tried this?

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 10:42 AM
the only advantage I would see is a decrease in cost. it's better to just go with a full natural gut setup, IMO, or a cheap syn. cross.

ls206
10-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess you could use a low powered multi in the crosses to "tame" gut at lower tensions.

I'm going to use a gut/multi hybrid as my next stringjob (my poly hybrid is causing some discomfort)
I'll be using Klip natural gut in the mains and either Tecnifibre multifeel or head RIP control in the crosses

for me, it will be to save money.

jim e
10-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Tennisfreak is correct, as the multi would loose its resilency before the gut would, and if it was all gut, you would have good playability until the string breaks.Even high end multi strings will not play the same after a # of hours. The only advantage that what you suggested would give is little lower in cost, and if you are a fast string breaker, it may pay off, otherwise you would be better off to go all gut, if you like the playability of gut.

tennisdad65
10-11-2008, 10:58 AM
if it is only to save money, consider full natural gut + selective string savers only on the center mains/crosses that start to fray.

ls206
10-11-2008, 11:35 AM
if it is only to save money, consider full natural gut + selective string savers only on the center mains/crosses that start to fray.

I may try this also :)

Il Mostro
10-11-2008, 11:50 AM
If you use a high quality multi, savings achieved by hybridizing are minimal. I recommend going full gut. I am loving VS Team on my TFlash 310. Xcel Power is no slouch, but the bite, cupping and feel of the gut is superior.

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
If you use a high quality multi, savings achieved by hybridizing are minimal. I recommend going full gut. I am loving VS Team on my TFlash 310. Xcel Power is no slouch, but the bite, cupping and feel of the gut is superior.

didn't you say you were going to try Klip Legend on your Kblades? how did that turn out?

Il Mostro
10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
didn't you say you were going to try Klip Legend on your Kblades? how did that turn out?

Haven't done it yet. I lent my backup racquet with the oldest strings in it to a friend and the only regular backup I have is strung with fresh Xcel Power, so I don't want to cut them out yet. When I get the racquet back at the end of next week I'll give the Klip a try. I have Klip Armour. I haven't been playing the KB's much so I'll compare everything on the TF's.

I do have 4 new, unstrung TFlash 310's and the Klip keeps tempting me... but I am trying to stay disciplined and keep these untouched for future use.

sciwriter
10-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks everybody. I'll just stick with full natural gut.

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Haven't done it yet. I lent my backup racquet with the oldest strings in it to a friend and the only regular backup I have is strung with fresh Xcel Power, so I don't want to cut them out yet. When I get the racquet back at the end of next week I'll give the Klip a try. I have Klip Armour. I haven't been playing the KB's much so I'll compare everything on the TF's.

I do have 4 new, unstrung TFlash 310's and the Klip keeps tempting me... but I am trying to stay disciplined and keep these untouched for future use.

hmm, seven TF racquets all strung with Klip gut, I can see why the temptation resists :)

downdaline
10-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I havent tried it, but my stringer said that it doesnt really make sense to do so. The gut is already very powerful. Couple that with the multi losing tension and your stringbed will become very powerful over time and become more difficult to control.

That said, i havent tried it, so maybe im wrong. Give it a try, it could be your thing.

Azzurri
10-12-2008, 08:06 AM
multi is a waste of money. but putting a decent, cheap syn gut in the cross would save you a lot of money. almost all the feel and benefit of a string set up comes from the mains anyway.

GasquetGOAT
12-02-2008, 11:39 AM
multi is a waste of money. but putting a decent, cheap syn gut in the cross would save you a lot of money. almost all the feel and benefit of a string set up comes from the mains anyway.

What cheap syn gut would you recommend to go with Babolat VS 16 gut mains? Is there a syn gut with gut like tension maintenance and longetivity or something close to it?

fastdunn
12-02-2008, 03:12 PM
"MoJo" set up works out well for me. guts + isospeed pro (or control). the isospeed is a multi but made out of polyolefin. it plays like a multi for 1st few hours but it firms up and becomes low powered. it complements nat gut nicely.

Oleg
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I have not tried using natural gut with a multi or syn gut but I tried using it as a full job or a hybird with polyiester. After trying every hybid configuration and differnet types of gut I found that this works the best for me:

Babolat Tonic+ 16 (full gut) with Babolat string savers. I like this better than VS touch which seems to be not as crisp.
FYI, I am using Wilson K Six One Tour.
I also put in the string savers right after stringing, starting at the top with 4th cross / 3rd main, 6 savers per cross string by skpping every other main. Then go down to 6th cross / 4th main and apply the same pattern. Then 8th cross / 3rd main and so on all the way down to 4th bottom cross string.
This gives me a consistent string bed with less movement and better tension maintenance not to mention this job last me about 4 weeks playing every day. I am not a string breaker but use full and fast strokes.

Hope this helps.