PDA

View Full Version : I gotta stop this!

netman
02-21-2004, 04:57 PM
I've got to stop hitting with my old collectables. It really sours me on the new stuff. Hit with a Wilson Pro Select I just acquired. What a sweet frame. Solid on contact, great control and enough mass to dampen any shock. Initially a tough frame to serve with as compared to modern player's racquets, but once you adjust you can place the ball wherever you want. In many ways a more controllable, forgiving frame than the venerable PS 6.0.

Also hit my original version PK Black Ace. At 14.1 oz a real load. Nice on groundstokes, but too much weight to be manuverable (except for maybe a power lifter). On serves, had to toss the ball into the ionosphere to have time to get the frame moving. But when you hit the ball cleanly, what a solid feeling. The racquet does all the work.

Oh well. Its hard to believe I used to play 3 + hour matches with frames this heavy. I doubt I could lift them after 30 minutes these days. :D

Ken

Deuce
02-21-2004, 11:17 PM
No, dude - you've got to KEEP hitting with those classics.

WYK
02-23-2004, 06:14 PM
After weighting my PBP to get the power I wanted, my toss for my serve has gone into the stratosphere - especially for my kicker. Love every moment of it. No bad elbows, no vibration, large sweet spot, great feel, touch, and power.

WYK

bcaz
02-23-2004, 06:32 PM
I second that emotion. I have my PBBs weighted up to 12.9-13.0 oz. each and I spite of being old and frail I love swinging those beasts. I played 4 1/2 hours Saturday -- not just singles, but hitting, hitting, and more hitting, and my arm, as usual, feels fine.

BC

roundiesee
02-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Would like to ask 2 questions:
bcaz-> Which is the best Estusa, the PB, PBP or PBB? And why?
netman-> Have you ever used the PK Black Ace for a match and if so what was the outcome?
Thanks.

bcaz
02-23-2004, 10:34 PM
I demoed the PBB and the Power Beam last September. I liked the PBB so much ( I own three of them), I never got around to ordering the Power Beam Pro to demo, so I have no insight into that racquet. As for the other two, I felt the PBB outperformed the PB in most categories. I posted my results on the (old) board, but I don't know whether the rachives are still intact.

Summary: The PBB has more power than the PB with similar or better control. The PBB volleys better than any other racquet I've tried. It has a relatively low swing weight for its static weight. I've settled on a small amount of lead tape at 3. 9 and 12 to brighten up the notoriously dead upper hoop. The racquet does not serve as powerfully as many other sticks, but it is very accurate for a racquet with 16 mains, produces mega filthy spin -- dipping lasers -- and is as sweet and comfortable as any stick you may pick up. Read the review, too.

It's unique, but among the other racquets I've tried, the PS 6.0 95 is closer than most to the PBB. I have one of those, too.

louis netman
02-23-2004, 11:05 PM
some of us can remember being ten-years-old, and playing raquets that weighed 14 ounces... with sweet spots the size of a tennis ball...

use this stuff today and forget it baby!!! it's like competing in international business today with morris code and an 80/88 computer...

Do away with the fetish unless you could find a worthy partner who will do the same...

Steve Huff
02-24-2004, 08:00 AM
"Oldies!" I thought you MEANT "oldies". I went out and hit with an old wood racket yesterday. It felt great. A lot easier than I expected. When you hit near the top, the ball went dead. But hit it in the sweetspot (from the middle of the face down) and the feel was unbelievable. I actually think it was easier to hit a slice backhand with the old wood racket than with most of the graphite rackets made today. I play again tomorrow. This time, I'm using a first generation Golden Ace (no Boron in it). I have a few more wood rackets to string up to play with too. Just like today's frames, where everyone has a preference, I want to see if I can tell the differences in the old woodies.

netman
02-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Haven't used the Black Ace in competitive play. I don't play enough anymore to use it when things are happening so fast. It would wear my arm out in no time. I'm sure if you practiced and played with it for awhile you would get used to it. We all did 20 years ago.

For me, hitting with these older frames gives you an appreciation for high mass combined with high flexibility. I'm not saying its always better than some newer technologies (like Kinetic), just different. If you have the right stroke technique, you can really enjoy the unique feel of wood and older graphite frames.