PDA

View Full Version : spot the stringing mistake, win a set of Pro Redcode!

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 06:36 PM
by the way, the racquet is a HEAD liquidmetal Rave.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/goliath15347/HPIM0958.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/goliath15347/HPIM0959.jpg

*disclaimer* pro redcode not really included, but i would like you to spot the mistake anyways ;). I made a mistake on a customer's racquet, and I'm not sure if I should charge them full price for it. I'm just seeing if it's too noticable.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
10-11-2008, 06:39 PM
dude u missed the top two holes... LMFAO, i think it wouldnt be too hard missing those holes, but to make him happy i'd charge less.

VGP
10-11-2008, 06:40 PM
You need to repeat the stringjob and eat the cost of the string and time. You missed the top cross.

If I got that back, I'd be ****ed if my stringer asked me to even pay a cent.

ag200boy
10-11-2008, 06:42 PM
actually i did the saem thing with my friends racquet, except i missed the bottom two! (not enough string)

but were good friends and he knew it wouldnt affect playability so he just payed

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 06:43 PM
i didnt purposely miss the top cross, the string (Xcel Premium 2008) broke on the stringer. then I spent 40 minutes trying to improvise the stringjob, and I tied an extra piece of string to the other end of the broken string, re-tensioned the last main ( this is an ATW pattern) and then spent 10 minutes trying to tie a double half hitch, as I was only given 3cm of string to tie the knot...

by the way, regarding workmanship, is it too noticeable?

DizBoiDanny
10-11-2008, 06:46 PM
if you put it up close yeah, if you are stringing for a customer you should re do it

sunray13547
10-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Also just to let you know all Head rackets are made to be strung two peice

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 06:56 PM

for now we're just concentrating if I can give this to my customer. hopefully one ATW pattern won't break the head racquet... will it?

Winners or Errors
10-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Why? Are they engineered to somehow detect the minute difference in tension moving from mains to crosses in a single piece job, such that the frame will explode if strung that way?

I am honestly curious, since I've heard this before and don't understand how it could have any significant difference in the forces being applied to the frame either during or after stringing.

Winners or Errors
10-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Oops, my post above is in reply to the comment that Head racquets are meant to be strung "two-piece"...

ThA_Azn_DeViL
10-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Why? Are they engineered to somehow detect the minute difference in tension moving from mains to crosses in a single piece job, such that the frame will explode if strung that way?

I am honestly curious, since I've heard this before and don't understand how it could have any significant difference in the forces being applied to the frame either during or after stringing.

Its just that the racquet can be distorted if the tension is uneven in certain areas, i dont think missing a part of the frame will do much, then again i wouldnt be happy if i were the customer

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 07:11 PM
sigh, i guess I'll have to cut out the strings and start from scratch, since showing this racquet to the head of a tennis clinic will damage my reputation.. thats 14 dollars worth of string down the drain.

by the way, yes, this is for the owner of a tennis clinic, so it's a big deal.

VGP
10-11-2008, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't have even taken the time to start this thread, posting pictures and such. I'd have just realized my mistake and started over.

If I even did a job with an off center misweave for a customer, I'd have cut it out and started over.

bladepdb
10-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Also just as a suggestino you should probably straighten the strings before you give the racquet to yoru customer :)

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't have even taken the time to start this thread, posting pictures and such. I'd have just realized my mistake and started over.

If I even did a job with an off center misweave for a customer, I'd have cut it out and started over.

yup, i'm going to do this racquet over tomorrow. Also, i didn't mis-weave, the string broke on the stringer and I had to improvise. this is an ATW pattern, so the final thing you're supposed to tension is the first cross.

Mansewerz
10-11-2008, 08:09 PM
As for the head racquet two piece question, it's because a one piece would call for the crosses strung throat to head. It causes unnecessary stress, and the head racquets (notably radical models) have softer heads, thus they're more prone to breakage than other racquets. An ATW should be fine.

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 08:18 PM
yargggg M, when will thy j011yr0ger cult lose it's influence?

Mansewerz
10-11-2008, 08:18 PM
yargggg M, when will thy j011yr0ger cult lose it's influence?

T'will never lose it's influence, join the movement err walk the plank!

JW10S
10-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Aside from the string job just being wrong skipping holes makes the racquet illegal for tournament play--goes back to the old 'spaghetti string' rules.

DizBoiDanny
10-11-2008, 08:21 PM
i have a questions, i know this is a stupid question but, how do you straighten your strings?

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 08:22 PM
aye, then let there be one more in Davy Jones' locker

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 08:23 PM
i have a questions, i know this is a stupid question but, how do you straighten your strings?

you move the strings with your fingers until they are straight, then you examine the racquet, and keep doing it until ur satisfied

DizBoiDanny
10-11-2008, 08:24 PM
that takes to long, haha.

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
that takes to long, haha.

not really, it just takes me about 30 seconds, but I usually straighten the crosses as I string.

DizBoiDanny
10-11-2008, 08:27 PM
i try that multiple times, but im alway unsatisfied. so i just wait until the next day and hit with it, and then BAM its straight.

zidane339
10-11-2008, 08:37 PM
How'd the string break on the stringer?

tennisfreak15347
10-11-2008, 08:45 PM
How'd the string break on the stringer?

when i was doing the top cross ( the last thing i need to do for an ATW pattern), the string snapped near the frame/grommet, so i was left with a little over 3cm to make an early tie-off.

zidane339
10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
when i was doing the top cross ( the last thing i need to do for an ATW pattern), the string snapped near the frame/grommet, so i was left with a little over 3cm to make an early tie-off.

The grommets look to be in decent shape..was there a sharp edge or something?

Daycrawler
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I honestly can't believe you even considered giving the customer that racket with the way it was strung.

jim e
10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I honestly can't believe you even considered giving the customer that racket with the way it was strung.

I totally agree! You should not even allow that on your own racquet, as it reflects your work. Anything less than perfect should never be let out! Just redo it, swallow the string loss, chalk it up to experience.
Remember anyone can sell a racquet, but the string job has your signature to it. Make it a good one so your reputation will be known as such.No one can fault you for charging a good fee, and providing a good service. But if you do a poor job, you will get criticized even for a cheap fee.Keep that in mind.

hellonewbie
10-11-2008, 09:36 PM
for now we're just concentrating if I can give this to my customer. hopefully one ATW pattern won't break the head racquet... will it?

If you want repeat customers, you should restring this at your cost if that was your error. Your skill as a stringer is on display in the racquets you string, would you want a mistake like that get out of the door and ruin your reputation?

tennisfreak15347
10-12-2008, 08:03 AM
If you want repeat customers, you should restring this at your cost if that was your error. Your skill as a stringer is on display in the racquets you string, would you want a mistake like that get out of the door and ruin your reputation?

i see. well I've sucked up the cost, so this is a lesson well learned for me.

Irvin
10-12-2008, 10:14 AM

Actually I played with a LM Fire racket and the recommended pattern was once piece. Many years ago head rackets could be strung bottom to top but now they are all top to bottom I believe.

I talked to Prince just a few days ago and asked what difference it made going bottom to top. He told me the engineers say to equalize pressure on the frame. I asked since the racket is symmetrical and I use a six point mounting system how could it make a difference. He said your guarantee is voided.

Irvin

tennisfreak15347
10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
its bad to string bottom to top on racquets because that will put more pressure on the head of the racquet, which is weaker than the throat. racquets are designed to have stronger throats than heads, so it's best to string top to bottom to put more pressure on the throat instead of the head.

Zhou
10-12-2008, 10:59 AM
its bad to string bottom to top on racquets because that will put more pressure on the head of the racquet, which is weaker than the throat. racquets are designed to have stronger throats than heads, so it's best to string top to bottom to put more pressure on the throat instead of the head.

Question. How exactly are you doing a 1 piece stringing with flying clamps?

tennisfreak15347
10-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Question. How exactly are you doing a 1 piece stringing with flying clamps?

with this racquet, i did an ATW pattern, finishing all the short-end mains, and then doing all but the last main on the long side and going to the second cross (because it has 19 crosses) and i kept weaving crosses until it got to the last one, went into the last main, and did the last cross ( which is the upper cross for this ATW pattern) and the string snapped, so i had to improvise and do an early tie-off.

if you're asking about how I start the mains, it's a bit complicated, but I'll try to explain. I use a starting pin, btw, which is about 4 dollars off the klipperusa site.

okay.. this racquet starts at the throat, and let L1 and R1 be the left and right grommet in the starting loop.

I put the strings into L1 and R1 (starting loop), set a clamp on L1 and R1 from the tensioner just enough to fit another clamp, and I thread L2 all the way. Next, I tension L2, so L2 and about 3 inches of L1 is tensioned (although not proper tension, but it doesnt matter, because I use it to set tension into the clamp). then, I clamp L1 and L2, and un-thread L2 out of the throat ( remember where the starting loop is). Then, I un-set the other clamp, because it's not holding tension anyways.

now my anchor clamp is set, and I tension L1, and clamp it to a starting pin that I put into L2 (where I had just un-threaded the last main).
to recap, now L1 is tensioned, and one clamp is set to the top of L1 and half-threaded L2. Also, another clamp is set to the starting pin and tensioned L1 near the throat. I then tension R1, remove the clamp on starting pin and L2 throat, and move it (the clamp) and set it to L1 and R1.1( the clamp will hold due to the other clamp at L1 and L2). then I thread and tension R2, clamp it to R1 and R2, and then thread it one more time , tension, and clamp R2 and R3. Then I fully-thread L2, tension, and clamp, then you do the rest from there.

Tombhoneb
10-12-2008, 01:18 PM
My old stringer gave me my racket back with the top cross missing. I gave him a call and he said cant i just play with it ... I payed for a full, proper string job. In the end he strung it again at no extra cost ... And i think you should do the same.

Zhou
10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
with this racquet, i did an ATW pattern, finishing all the short-end mains, and then doing all but the last main on the long side and going to the second cross (because it has 19 crosses) and i kept weaving crosses until it got to the last one, went into the last main, and did the last cross ( which is the upper cross for this ATW pattern) and the string snapped, so i had to improvise and do an early tie-off.

if you're asking about how I start the mains, it's a bit complicated, but I'll try to explain. I use a starting pin, btw, which is about 4 dollars off the klipperusa site.

okay.. this racquet starts at the throat, and let L1 and R1 be the left and right grommet in the starting loop.

I put the strings into L1 and R1 (starting loop), set a clamp on L1 and R1 from the tensioner just enough to fit another clamp, and I thread L2 all the way. Next, I tension L2, so L2 and about 3 inches of L1 is tensioned (although not proper tension, but it doesnt matter, because I use it to set tension into the clamp). then, I clamp L1 and L2, and un-thread L2 out of the throat ( remember where the starting loop is). Then, I un-set the other clamp, because it's not holding tension anyways.

now my anchor clamp is set, and I tension L1, and clamp it to a starting pin that I put into L2 (where I had just un-threaded the last main).
to recap, now L1 is tensioned, and one clamp is set to the top of L1 and half-threaded L2. Also, another clamp is set to the starting pin and tensioned L1 near the throat. I then tension R1, remove the clamp on starting pin and L2 throat, and move it (the clamp) and set it to L1 and R1.1( the clamp will hold due to the other clamp at L1 and L2). then I thread and tension R2, clamp it to R1 and R2, and then thread it one more time , tension, and clamp R2 and R3. Then I fully-thread L2, tension, and clamp, then you do the rest from there.

I was asking about how exactly you were going to hold tension on the first cross because of the flying clamps.

tennisfreak15347
10-12-2008, 01:49 PM
I was asking about how exactly you were going to hold tension on the first cross because of the flying clamps.

if your talking about the very first cross, it's the last thing I do because it is an ATW pattern.. I just clamp it to the 2nd cross right under it.

if you're talking about the first cross i do, I thread two crosses then tension at 5lbs higher, then return to normal tension.

TenniseaWilliams
10-12-2008, 03:50 PM
if your talking about the very first cross, it's the last thing I do because it is an ATW pattern.. I just clamp it to the 2nd cross right under it.

if you're talking about the first cross i do, I thread two crosses then tension at 5lbs higher, then return to normal tension.

If I understand the ATW variation you are using, you could avoid the double pull in multiple ways, such as:

1> Use a starting pin in the 2nd cross, finish the short side top cross first, then tie-off.

2> Use a starting clamp on the tensioned first cross (short side). Use the long side as the second cross, continue long side, tie off at throat. Come back at the end to re-clamp short side and tie off.

tennisfreak15347
10-12-2008, 04:15 PM
If I understand the ATW variation you are using, you could avoid the double pull in multiple ways, such as:

1> Use a starting pin in the 2nd cross, finish the short side top cross first, then tie-off.

2> Use a starting clamp on the tensioned first cross (short side). Use the long side as the second cross, continue long side, tie off at throat. Come back at the end to re-clamp short side and tie off.

oh yes! it never occured to me that I could use a starting pin for starting the crosses. thanks :)

Zhou
10-12-2008, 04:23 PM
oh yes! it never occured to me that I could use a starting pin for starting the crosses. thanks :)

That was kind of why I was asking it earlier because what you were doing was having the 2nd and 3rd crosses be tensioned different from the rest of the string bed which is not good. It is better to have only the 1st cross be tensioned different from the rest of the string bed.

KerryJ
10-13-2008, 06:07 AM
I did this to my friends racquet. Didn't charge him for labor, bought the set of strings, also bought an additional set of strings as well as doing the job correctly for free. That's called customer service.

Steve Huff
10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
You don't have to trash the entire stringjob (at least you wouldn't have if you had done something immediately). You could have clamped off the last main, pulled out the crosses, tied off the mains and used a half set of something to do the crosses. Then, you'd have had a half set left over to hybrid your own racket later.

Duzza
10-19-2008, 06:24 PM
So...along with sucking up the cost of your mistakes, your willing to give away a set of RedCode for someone noticing that you stuffed up a stringjob? Also, I always do HEAD racquets 2 piece, because that's all that's covered under their warranty isn't it?

tennisfreak15347
10-19-2008, 06:28 PM
So...along with sucking up the cost of your mistakes, your willing to give away a set of RedCode for someone noticing that you stuffed up a stringjob? Also, I always do HEAD racquets 2 piece, because that's all that's covered under their warranty isn't it?

this was an old liquidmetal rave; far past it's warrenty. anyhoo, they can be done with ATW patterns, which I tend to do since i don't tie the best knot with sharp needle-nosed pliers. I sucked up the stringjob cost and put in another set. the customer was content, atleast. also, if you haven't noticed, the redcode was just a joke. :)

Duzza
10-19-2008, 06:37 PM
I'd watch the jokes. TW forum members have been known to get quite fiesty over sets of strings :p

tennisfreak15347
10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I'd watch the jokes. TW forum members have been known to get quite fiesty over sets of strings :p

oh, I see :) I think that the cost of shipping would exceed the cost of the pro redcode anyways, if not being equal to it.

Duzza
10-20-2008, 03:37 AM
oh, I see :) I think that the cost of shipping would exceed the cost of the pro redcode anyways, if not being equal to it.

That's what I don't get about the string trade thread....