PDA

View Full Version : I love the box pattern!

hellojeffo
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
This post is to thank YuLitle and others who advised on using box pattern for my K90. It was awesome! There wasn't a single overlap outside the frame and it simply looks cool! What's more, I can feel the tighter tensions on the outer strings, resulting in a more even stringbed tension...

Thanks.. I'd recommend it to all stringers doing a one-piece on K90 to use a box pattern. Although it might take a little bit more time (10 mins in my case)...

samster
10-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Is this for one-piece jobs only?

Irvin
10-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Is this for one-piece jobs only?

Actually you may be able to get by with 1/3 set natural gut strings stringing (4 or 6) fewer crosses. Therefore if you were stringing hybrid poly / gut you could stretch your gut for three jobs. Plan ahead it may not work for you.

Also for clamp systems that use the glide bar this method is not a good idea.

Irvin

Mansewerz
10-12-2008, 10:37 AM
What's the point of the box pattern?

YULitle
10-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Also for clamp systems that use the glide bar this method is not a good idea.

Irvin

You'll just see a much larger increase in stringing time than typical.

10-12-2008, 10:43 AM
YUlitle how would you do a box pattern for this:

16x19 - Start mains at Throat.
Mains Skip 7T, 7H, 9T & 9H.
Tie Off Mains at 6T, Tie crosses at 5H & 11T

YULitle
10-12-2008, 11:02 AM
YUlitle how would you do a box pattern for this:

16x19 - Start mains at Throat.
Mains Skip 7T, 7H, 9T & 9H.
Tie Off Mains at 6T, Tie crosses at 5H & 11T

Should be the same as in the video. They both have 16x19 and 7HT, 9HT skips. The only thing that MIGHT mess it up is if you more or less grommets in the throat. But, I can't imagine it having more/less than six.

The tie offs would be wherever they work best. :D

10-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah mine has 6 in the throat. Ok thanks alot.
I think ill try it as it takes me a while to get string through blocked holes so this is ideal. I havent had this problem before but for some reason it happens on my vantage and its hard to get the string through. I am forced to do a loose knot on the mains so i can fit the string through a grommet on the crosses

Irvin
10-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Should be the same as in the video. They both have 16x19 and 7HT, 9HT skips. The only thing that MIGHT mess it up is if you more or less grommets in the throat. But, I can't imagine it having more/less than six.

The tie offs would be wherever they work best. :D

Imagine the Prince 16 x 19 rackets that start at the head like O3 Speedport Black and Red rackets, Ozone One and Four, etc...

Irvin

YULitle
10-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Imagine the Prince 16 x 19 rackets that start at the head like O3 Speedport Black and Red rackets, Ozone One and Four, etc...

Irvin

Yeah, those wouldn't work so well, I don't think.... The posts would have to work out just right.

Irvin
10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
What's the point of the box pattern?

Many racket are strung with 2 pieces of string. The box pattern allows you to use one piece stringing. Usually the box patter refers to 2 main or 3 mains on each side and the top and bottom 2 or 3 crosses being strung with the long side of the the string before the remaining crosses are finished. This forms a box around the racket.

Using this method there are usually no overlapping strings on the outside of the racket so there will be no blocked holes.

Therefore the box pattern allows you to string rackets one piece with no grommet holes blocked.

Irvin

brownbearfalling
10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
for many people who play with the K90 i don't think it is worth the extra time and risk of mistake to do a box pattern. i go through a set of gamma zo power ($12 a set) in 1 or 2 weeks and i have 3 racquets. I also string for a team so i get tired of stringing k90's.

hellojeffo
10-12-2008, 11:50 PM
It isn't really that much longer... just 10 minutes extra, and I'm pretty sure an experienced stringer will do it way faster...

It's my first time stringing this way, and it was done without a single mistake... once you get the top and bottom crosses right, the rest is a piece of cake... One thing in particular, as you reach towards the crosses in the center, the push weave becomes very easy. Probably because there's already crosses above and below...

I'll try to post some pictures in a while!

hellojeffo
10-13-2008, 05:52 AM
I realized it's pretty difficult to take pictures because of the black colored pro supex spiral flex strings I was using.... But here ya go... This is the region outside the frame where there would be overlaps, but now, there's not a single overlap!!!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/hellojeffo/IMG_1428.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/hellojeffo/IMG_1432.jpg

brownbearfalling
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
10 mins more than if you were to do ATW?

A string all my racquets with two pieces regardless of string

Steve Huff
10-13-2008, 10:56 PM
I think Irvin is thinking of a box pattern used for different reasons than what you're talking about. I've done some of both. Most people use the box pattern to 1-piece stringing, not to cut down on the amount of string you use for the mains. But, Irvin has a good point. You can use if for that too.

hellojeffo
10-14-2008, 02:34 AM
yep.. 10 mins longer
it's up to the individual... whatever works best rite? i do it for this racquet only, coz it looks good and it's not that much harder...