PDA

View Full Version : Haas is back to the MW200G paintjob

BreakPoint
02-09-2005, 01:29 AM
I was at the Haas-Carraz match last night at the SAP Open and it looks like Haas has once again gone back to his beloved Dunlop MW200G black-and-gray paintjob. He must truly believe the paint affects his performance. Seems he'll go to a new paintjob, like the HM200G and M-Fil 200 for a few weeks when these new racquets first come out and then always just goes back to his tried-and-true MW200G paintjob.

maratonman
02-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Thats the way it suppose to be. A slight promotion of the paintjob at the AO, and now back to reality. His real frame is a MW200G.

david aames
02-09-2005, 08:43 AM
You have to be kidding me.

How can you expect the guy to go all the way in slams when he can't even take new cosmetics on his racquets. Puzzling especially considering that Dunlop very likely came up with that blue color specifically for him.

I was at the Haas-Carraz match last night at the SAP Open and it looks like Haas has once again gone back to his beloved Dunlop MW200G black-and-gray paintjob. He must truly believe the paint affects his performance. Seems he'll go to a new paintjob, like the HM200G and M-Fil 200 for a few weeks when these new racquets first come out and then always just goes back to his tried-and-true MW200G paintjob.

david aames
02-09-2005, 08:44 AM
No, YOUR real frame is a MW200G

His real frame is a MW200G.

Colpo
02-09-2005, 09:40 AM
david, I get your drift in post #4, but then what the heck is Haas's real frame? Sorry if this has been covered already, but I find this back-and-forth with paintjobs interesting ...

david aames
02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Probably this (appreciate the old school feel of the old website)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/HPics/280.html

It is believed that he liked his old paintjob so much that he had Dunlop come up with that blue M-Fil PJ just for him -- which makes me shake my head in disbelief when reading about today's news...

Bah, Germans... : )

david, I get your drift in post #4, but then what the heck is Haas's real frame? Sorry if this has been covered already, but I find this back-and-forth with paintjobs interesting ...

david aames
02-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Oh and, the grip is totally custom.

david aames
02-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Just to confirm Breakpoint's info:

http://homepage.mac.com/davidaames3/.Pictures/haas2.jpg

Matt H.
02-09-2005, 11:38 AM
if he likes it...he likes it. Who knows, maybe Dunlop will bring back the MW200g. It's a good frame and the paint job is very professional looking.

Nobody gave Pete Sampras crap for continually using that PS 85 for his whole career.

david aames
02-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Except he does not play with the MW200. Not even close.

It is a well know fact on the other hand that Sampras was playing with the MW200 under the 85 PJ. Jesus, that's rational thinking right there.

if he likes it...he likes it. Who knows, maybe Dunlop will bring back the MW200g. It's a good frame and the paint job is very professional looking.

Nobody gave Pete Sampras crap for continually using that PS 85 for his whole career.

Matt H.
02-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Except he does not play with the MW200. Not even close.

It is a well know fact on the other hand that Sampras was playing with the MW200 under the 85 PJ. Jesus, that's rational thinking right there.

I know he does not play with the actual MW 200g. I was putting it from a consumer perspective....they see him playing the MW paintjob and wonder why the dunlop website and posters have him endorsing a different looking racquet. Dunlop could fix that by simply bringing back the MW 200g for consumers.

As far as the sampras comment....i was meaning from the sense that Sampras just flat out prefered that 6.0 85 racquet. Same thing with Tommy...maybe he just feels better holding a MW paintjob instead of that blue m-fil.

We all know that professional sports players are known for having superstitions. lol

PrestigeClassic
02-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Wait a minute, I thought the M-Fil was designed for Gael Monfils..

WW Volley
02-18-2005, 08:51 PM
You have to be kidding me.

How can you expect the guy to go all the way in slams when he can't even take new cosmetics on his racquets.

Sampras never allowed anybody to paintjob his frame. Many times over Wilson tried to get him to take an updated paintjob, but he didn't want to change his frame at all - even the paint.

So I don't know if this is a telling point on the mental fortitute of a player and if they can win grand slams.

Hawaii 5.0
02-22-2005, 10:02 AM
He never used the MW200g, but rather an old Head Sattelite or something along those lines, just either repainted and customed or remolded by Dunlop.Like Sampras he prolly stocked up on old MW paintjob frames.Funny how there are so many players using 95-98 si frames with 18X20 patterns that are very similar to old Head frames or even 90-93 with 18X20 that are just old molds, not so much paintjobs.

Rabbit
02-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I heard that he is using a mock up from Spinn (sp?), a company in Germany, that builds custom rackets to any cosmetic.

Matt H.
02-22-2005, 09:04 PM
I heard that he is using a mock up from Spinn (sp?), a company in Germany, that builds custom rackets to any cosmetic.

That would make sense because Dunlop won't make Tommy anymore of the MW comestic ones....so sooner or later he'd run out of his old stash i assume.

However, doesn't that present some legal problems with regards to using other company's cosmetics and brand name?

Rabbit
02-23-2005, 08:56 AM
However, doesn't that present some legal problems with regards to using other company's cosmetics and brand name?

I think the last thing any racket manufacturer wants to do now a days is go to court over paint. :)

Acutally, I think David Aames has posted some really good pictures of Haas' racket and there may be enough of a difference in the layout of the cosmetics to cover them legally, i.e. Haas' name on the throat, etc.