PDA

View Full Version : Tennis elbow brace - can I improvise?

ls206
10-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi there,
don't worry, this isn't another tennis elbow thread!

I have noticed some joint pain (I think more from computing than tennis) and have stuck to softer strings so not to exacerbate the situation.

However, I'm going to be play-testing some stiff poly strings and wonder whether it's worth getting a brace?

They work by compressing the forearm thus relieving stress on the tendon/joint.
Could I just use a wrist band and put it an inch from my joint?
It does compress but I guess it would loose elasticity.

Thanks.

volusiano
10-15-2008, 02:51 AM
I think you should be able to improvise one, but it's not that expensive, so it's not worth the trouble. Why not just go to Walmart to buy one? Hey, if you try it and don't like it, you can return it.

Just remember that an elbow brace is just a band aid to mask the pain, but it's not going to fix your TE problem. If you already have elbow pain and still chose to play test stiff poly strings, you're just going to cause more damage. You will feel less pain when you wear it, but it doesn't mean you're not doing more damage to it.

Evan1225
10-15-2008, 04:31 AM
True, you can go to wal-mart, or just plain get a doctor.

supertrex
10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
are u wearing it to prevent pain while playing? if yes then its useless.

but if your only waering elbow brace just relaxing or doing mild work. then it will help.

ls206
10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
cheers guys, I didn't realise they did so little (just to mask pain)
I on the wrong side of the atlantic to go to walmart :p
but I'll get a brace - may be useful every now and then

I don't have TE, just slight twinges and thought that some precautions wouldn't do any harm.

I'm playtesting the poly as a favour, i've mixed it with some soft multi and won't be playing too many hrs with the set up.

volusiano
10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I think some slight twinges now and then is not too bad. I do get them, too. Probably a warning sign to ease up a little bit and watch out, and take precaution like you're trying to do.

But I think the brace is most effective for people who already have full-blown TE and are trying to alleviate the pain during their recovery while they do their normal day-to-day tasks/activities. Simple tasks like typing or lifting up a cup of coffee or shaking hands with someone. But it doesn't cure or prevent TE, otherwise everybody who plays tennis would have worn one when they play already.

ls206
10-16-2008, 12:32 PM
good point.

I think I'll invest in a brace for computing, I think it's the cause of the twinges rather than tennis.

anyhow, I played today and iced my elbow, feels fine, I think I'll continue doing this. Remember to stock up on frozen peas!