PDA

View Full Version : Tricep Pain

Hot Sauce
10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
About a month ago when I was doing skullcrushers, my left tricep just gave out on me, forcing me to stop. It hurt a lot, so I gave it about 2 weeks to rest. A couple days after the injury, the pain went away. So after 2 weeks I tried some light one arm tricep extensions, but the pain came back. I found out that my tricep would only hurt when there is actual weight being used when training it, and that I still had my full range of motion (extending and bending) pain free when not using weight. The pain is on my tricep, specifically closer to the elbow. I thought this would be tricep tendonitis, but the my symptoms differ in that I cannot find any severe swelling, bruising, or any pain when extending and bending it fully.

So far I've just been doing the usual ice and ibuprofen, but does anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

Phil
10-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I have no insight on this pain, but I seem to have the exact same symptoms-and in my left arm (I'm right handed, so it doesn't affect my tennis). Only hurts when I do certain pressing exercises where the palms face outward (like skullcrushers and flat bench presses), the the pain can get fairly intense.

Hot Sauce
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. It can get pretty bad sometimes. How long have you had it?

Phil
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I've had it off and on for around six weeks. For two of those weeks, it seemed to have disappeared, but when I did a fairly light session with the weights, it was back. If it persists I may go to a doctor, but the thing is, other than lifting, it doesn't bother me...it's not negatively impacting everyday movement. But it IS preventing me from continuing to build on my incredible, Conan the Barbarian-like physique.

Hot Sauce
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Sounds identical to my situation.

..about the physique.

old coach
10-15-2008, 05:46 AM
very well could be your tendon if it's so close to elbow. Heeling process would depends on your age. I would do ultra-sound with combination of traumeel cream. Start up exercising (after compl. heeling) with resistant band and slowly build it up.

Phil
10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the advice, coach. Never heard of traumeel cream, but I'll look for it.

princemidplus
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
try some full tricep stretches. if it is tendonitis and it is not settling after a couple of weeks you may need to slowly progressively load it - not too the point of pain though. Build up resistance slowly and stretch afterwards

old coach
10-16-2008, 09:49 AM
The name of the cream "traumeel" and sells by a few on line stores and at least one tennis online mega-store. If use correctly and on "fresh" injury might do a miracle. Made in Germany.

Rickson
10-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I also had this in my left, lower tricep, and I too am a righty. The pain went away when I stopped lifting for a while and your pain will go away too, but if you choose to keep lifting, be prepared to go through some twinges. Just stop lifting for a while or focus on the legs.

Hot Sauce
10-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Just an update here:

I took Rickson's advice and stopped lifting completely for just over a week. In the past when I tried to rest it, I would just skip triceps out of my split. But this time I stopped everything.

Worked out today chest and tris, no pain at all. No discomfort, either.