PDA

View Full Version : Broken Wrist

2ndserve642
10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Ok i juts broke my wrist but the doc sad i can still play tennis but i cant really hit a backhand should i just play and slice my backhand or w8 out the three weeks

tennisguyak
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd say why not. It'll keep you playing and give you a good chance to perfect your slice backhand.

old coach
10-15-2008, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't play. Ice it, relax do ultra-sound and use traumeel cream to heel faster.

El Diablo
10-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Which bone? (the wrist has 8.) If it's the navicular, I recommend inactivity, as aseptic necrosis of the bone can be an unfortunate complication. Forget the ultrasound -- there's no good evidence that it speeds things up, and since it acts by shaking things, it might even impede the process.

equinox
10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
You don't play period. Take the docs advice, let it heal or surgery and then rehab.

My team had a young women who was out for 5 years with a bad wrist from years of tennis coaching and nursing it through each weeks matches.

Had surgery and rehab, everything and only in the last month started playing again.

So take your time coming back.

old coach
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Which bone? (the wrist has 8.) If it's the navicular, I recommend inactivity, as aseptic necrosis of the bone can be an unfortunate complication. Forget the ultrasound -- there's no good evidence that it speeds things up, and since it acts by shaking things, it might even impede the process.

mudak, ultrasound is deep heating and should be done 72 hrs after injury and not before.

princemidplus
10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
i always knew ultrasound to use sound waves (created by the oscillations of a crystal that has current passed across it) to vibrate the tissues in order to stimulate recover.

Ultrasound can be used to heat tissues but there are more effective ways to do this - hot pack (not as area specific but works better if used for 10min), shortwave diathermy (works on joints but not for use when you got metal plates/screws,etc).

I do agree with El Diablo that there is no conclusion evidence that ultrasound works but in practice I have found it to work for some people and not for others. The only way to know is to try it for yourself to see if it works for you.

I also agree with Old Coach that ultrasound can be used 72 hours after injury and will not cause further damage if used correctly.

2ndserve642
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Thx for the help but if im in a cast how can i use ultrasound

old coach
10-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Thx for the help but if im in a cast how can i use ultrasound

If you in a cast you can not use UltraSound. Consult your doc anyway for after cast therapy.

2ndserve642
10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
o thx oldcoach