PDA

View Full Version : Nike Stand Up Bracelet

VamosRafa
02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Nike is now sponsoring a bracelet against racism in football. It has a black band and a white band, and says, "Stand Up Speak Up."

http://www.nike.com/standupspeakup/en/home.jsp?page=home

Rafael Nadal and some other European players are starting to wear it during matches. Here's a photo of Rafa in Buenos Aires:

http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/photos/15590533-L.jpg

We are getting lots of inquries about it. Do you plan to carry it? I realize you may not because it's football-related.

Thanks.

Susan
http://www.vamosrafael.com

PS: Rafa isn't wearing the capris in Buenos Aires. Back to regular white shorts.

TW Staff
02-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Susan,
We had not considered making these available at TW, but I will run it by our buyer.

Thanks for the head's up.

Cheers,
Chris, TW.

VamosRafa
02-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Chris. Also, if you aren't going to carry it, but know some place in the US that will, we'd appreciate it.

It looks as though it's only available in Europe at the moment.

Take care.

Susan

JackD
02-09-2005, 04:18 PM
tw-staff

If demand helps I'd be interested in a quite a few.

Hewitt rulez
02-09-2005, 07:13 PM
If demand helps I'd be interested in a quite a few.

I would also get some.

VamosRafa
02-09-2005, 08:14 PM
And the interest at our site is escalating as well.

I'm sure it will escalate even more if Rafa wears it at IW and Key Biscayne.

If it helps, I can ask Rafa's management if Rafa plans to wear it in the USA. But I'm sure your Nike contacts can provide that info. Just let them know that Rafa's fans took immediate note and are very interested.

Thanks again.

Susan

Hewitt rulez
02-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Can TW give us an update if they will carry these or not?

D. Nalbandian
02-13-2005, 12:36 PM
In Germany you can buy those bracelet since 05-02-05.

Marc C.
02-13-2005, 04:03 PM
In Germany you can buy those bracelet since 05-02-05.

Is that date dd/mm/yyyy because it's not quite may 5, 2005 yet.

ffrpg
02-13-2005, 06:45 PM
I would also be interested in purchasing some.

VamosRafa
02-14-2005, 04:41 PM
They definitely are available in Europe. Nadal fans have been buying them in Spain and the Netherlands, for sure.

Will be good to know if they will be made available in the US.

Thanks again.

jturpin4
02-14-2005, 06:02 PM
I would buy some. Any updates TW?

Hewitt rulez
02-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Can we get an update Chris?

Hewitt rulez
02-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Update please TW.

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Would be good to know, I agree.

You can get them on e-bay, but they are going for well over $20 USD.

In fact, you can "Buy it Now" for $35.00 USD without going through the auction process.

I don't think that's the original Nike goal.

But it is creating a good secondary market.

Rafa was wearing the bracelet early on in Brasil, but it's been so hot there, that he's been wearing sweatbands (something he normally doesn't do).

Prostaffer
02-19-2005, 11:09 PM
i would be interested as well TW. i was wearing bands long before the livestrong and now that i can wear them adn promote a good cause is great. i would love to have these however, i refuse to pay 35 dollars on **** for them. when that 35 is going to some person's pocket who did not have teh best intentions when tehy bought these.

thebeast
02-20-2005, 10:07 AM
gary neville has also brought up (bravely i might add, since nike sponsors his team) that while nike undoubtably has a decent motive but they are also a business and looking to make money off of these.

other anti racism in football things have been in place for some time.

regardless, its a good cause.

Stuck
02-20-2005, 11:53 AM
If I read correctly they are to stop racism in football? What the hell does that mean? If there is racism in football what race is being affected? Isn't football and basketball basically dominated by minority athletes anyway. Also it is my personal opinion that Nadal is wearing the white because it looks good. Or does he support this growing problem of stopping racism in football?

Stuck
02-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Bythe way there are many on **** for under 5 bucks

Prostaffer
02-21-2005, 10:36 PM
futbol. not football. they mean soccer. it's a universal sport.

and check **** that it's 5 bucks in dollars and not GBP. Great Britain Pounds.

TW Staff
02-22-2005, 10:05 AM
We will not be bringing these to TW. However, I suggest buying from an official Nike retailer at the suggested price so that you ensure your money is going to the correct cause.

Chris, TW.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 03:26 PM
If I read correctly they are to stop racism in football? What the hell does that mean? If there is racism in football what race is being affected? Isn't football and basketball basically dominated by minority athletes anyway. Also it is my personal opinion that Nadal is wearing the white because it looks good. Or does he support this growing problem of stopping racism in football?

If you read this info, you'll see that there have been a number of racist events in European soccer (futbol), and this campaign is to promote awareness of racism and to help eradicate it. Soccer is HUGE in Europe, as I'm sure you know.

http://www.nike.com/nikebiz/nikebiz.jhtml?page=2

Rafa's uncle, Miguel Angel Nadal ("the Beast of Barcelona") is a very famous pro soccer player (RCT Barcelona and Mallorca), and Rafa plays exhibitions with pro soccer players at times. (A few years ago, Rafa had to choose between tennis and soccer careers -- one year he scored the highest number of goals in his age group in all of Europe).

So I doubt very much he's wearing it because it looks good, or even because he has to. The fact that it's a Nike product likely makes him more comfortable wearing it, because it's one of his sponsors.

But he stopped wearing it in Brasil, in favor of a sweat band.

You are right, though, that the **** prices have gone down, since the number available has gone up. Supply and demand. But they are popular, given this notice on the Nike website:

WRISTBANDS

DUE TO UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND, THE INITIAL STOCK OF WRISTBANDS HAS SOLD OUT IN MANY PLACES. NIKE IS WORKING HARD TO ADDRESS THIS AND WE EXPECT TO DELIVER MORE WRISTBANDS IMMINENTLY. PLEASE BE PATIENT AND CONTINUE TO CHECK WITH RETAILERS.

I suspect there are more on **** now, than in European stores.

And thanks for the response, Chris. They likely aren't relevant to tennis per se.

Deuce
02-23-2005, 12:33 AM
I'd like TW to please carry the special Nike bracelets to support the freeing of exploited Asian child laborers as soon as Nike begins making them.

I won't hold my breath.

It never ceases to amaze me how many intellectually and/or morally blind people are not only willing, but are insistent on bending over so that Nike can do their thing. Absolutely astounding.

Prostaffer
03-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Deuce I understand your plight. You are confusing things though. So we shouldn't support a good cause, because those that offer that opportunity are immoral? Half my case studies and papers I wrote in college were about NIKE and I will admit I am one of those Nike loyalists.

No doubt Nike's production practices are questionable. The worst cases were in Chinese so-called "boot camps" that were contracted out. As we all know that when you contract out anythign you take your chances. Nike rarely produces in China now and has moved onto other Asian countries. It's an unfortunate situation yet I am sure if the "bad" cases were as common as most would believe there is no way Nike could continue doing business.

When I wear a Livestrong bracelet I am trusting that Nike will donate that money and as someone who has been touched by cancer many times in my lifetime I support that cause. Had it been reebok or adidas making the band I would support it also. Let's face, most people are doing this for fashion also. They aren't too aware or care what's going on.

Remember in free trade there are always losers and winners. As bad as this sounds, for the ADULTS that NIke does employ in foreign countries, I am sure they would say that A JOB is better than NO JOB. Not every country can pay their workers $6 US an hour and have a GAP and Starbucks on every corner. If you drink Starbucks coffee you can also be called a hypocrite on this one. Starbucks drives down the prices of the coffee bean forcefully and many brazilian farmers are forced to undersell their product to the huge company. They then lose money and who knows, perhaps can't pay ransom when guerillas kidnap their family. Really there is gloom and doom to everything. You can at least support something, whether it's for fashion or not.

Perhaps when people keep seeing these yellow bracelets everywhere they will dig deeper in their pockets next time there's a chance to make a donation. That is a hope and in the end that's all we really have.

Feņa14
03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Racism in Football (soccer) in Europe is huge. Black players get booed and English players against Spain were taunted by monkey chanting and things get pretty nasty.

These seem to be working a bit, people know why they are wearing them and know that they can't behave like that.

They do seem to be very Football orientated but I'm sure there must be somewhere in America you could get hold of some.

brokenMan
03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Deuce - Surely we all have to take some share of the responsibility ? As westerners, dont we all crave the reduced prices... unwilling to pay higher than last years price for anything? or in some cases unwilling to buy anything new at all. Do you think this kind of mentality helps any of those factory workers in the long run? I appreciate that mostly it would simply mean higher profits for the big names, but longterm things would change.

Deuce
03-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Prostaffer - Do you think that Nike is actually doing this because they CARE about OTHERS?

Are there truly people that Naive remaining on the planet? Then again, you say you've read all about Nike's abuses of people - yet you still buy their junk...

Throwing money at a problem doesn't fix the problem. ATTITUDES & enlightenment fix problems.

How can anyone possibly believe that a corporation with a track record like Nike's cares about human beings? Is it possible that they care about racial abuse, but not about the abuse and exploitation of desperate and vulnerable workers in poor countries, many of whom are children? For the thirty six people who obviously haven't visited this planet in a while... Nike is doing this for the same reason they do everything they do: To benefit Nike. Period.

It's called marketing, people. Wake up.

Prostaffer
03-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Prostaffer - Do you think that Nike is actually doing this because they CARE about OTHERS?

of course this benefits nike as well because they get their name out there as well. it's just not a livestrong bracelet, it's a nike livestrong bracelet. the goal of a company is to make money and i would ask you one thing?

is there any true thing as a selfless act?

my philosophy professor brought this up to me some years ago and i find it quite true. everybody makes decision with their own interests in mind. there is no decision that one makes that does not give them some benefit however small it may be. so i wouldn't expect nike to just make these bracelets without expecting some benefit coming out of it. i.e. their name recognition.

of course i'm sure that the IRS makes sure these contributions are being made. no doubt because i'm sure nike puts it down as a charitable donation that helps their taxes so trust me there are people keeping their eye on this.

and i'll tell you this, yes i have read of nike sweatshop tactics. that's only because they are the most highly publicized. they are the #1 sports apparel company in teh world. are you so sure your hanes shirt wasn't made in a sweatshop? i hope you can prove that your shirt isn't as much as you can prove that nike's are made in these outrageous conditions.

as we all know from personal experience, one incident can create a reputation.

Deuce
03-13-2005, 02:19 AM
I buy my clothing with a clear conscience. Not that difficult to do - just takes a very slight bit more effort.

Nike exploiting racism - or any other 'good cause' for their own gain - while Nike themselves indulge in many harmful practices - is unethical, at best. Nike is claiming to care about racial injustice - which is incredibly arrogant and dishonest , given Nike's own track record insofar as humanity is concerned.

Quite apart from the slave-like conditions (and pay) of their front-line employees, Nike has also brainwashed a good chunk of the world into actually measuring their worth as a human being by how much Nike paraphernalia one possesses. They put their 'swoosh' on school binders and pencil cases, for chrissake, lowering children's self-worth in the process, rendering them dependent on displaying the 'swoosh' in some capacity simply to be accepted as a 'non-geek'. Nike makes shoes for 3 month old infants. I do not believe such infants can stand, let alone walk or run - but there they are, with their ever so 'cool' 'swoosh' shoes (and brain-dead parents). Nike does this to begin building 'brand loyalty' - and childhood insecurity - at the earliest stages of life.

Simply put, Nike is the most disgusting company, with the most disgusting practices, that I know of.