PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my arm?

mental midget
10-16-2008, 07:19 AM
I've been experiencing a pain/weakness close to my elbow in my lower tricep/bicep area. can't really distinguish which muscle it's affecting, if almost feels as though it's between the two.

typically happens when i try to serve too hard after a long layoff.

is this the legendary tennis elbow, or something else?

Rickson
10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
It sounds like an inflammed nerve, but it doesn't seem like tennis elbow. Check with a doctor if you have good coverage, but if you don't, just ice down the area and stop doing things that cause you pain.

princemidplus
10-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I've been experiencing a pain/weakness close to my elbow in my lower tricep/bicep area. can't really distinguish which muscle it's affecting, if almost feels as though it's between the two.

typically happens when i try to serve too hard after a long layoff.

is this the legendary tennis elbow, or something else?

Not quite sure if you mean the bicep or the tricep area as these are two different places and should be fairly easy to tell apart.

If it is on the back of your arm near the tricep insertion it is more likely an inflammed nerve.

If it is on the inside on your arm then it may a biceps tendon strain.

Both can be caused by hitting a serve too hard and not warming up properly beforehand.

In either case you need to rest the arm from hitting too many serves and maybe serve slower in the meantime. Ice should also help with the pain and possibly ibuprofen if it is too painful - just don't take it in order to play and do more damage because it feels ok after medication

mental midget
10-16-2008, 04:35 PM
my confusion as to bicep or tricep comes from the fact that it feels nestled squarely between the two. hold your arm out straight, palm up. a few inches off my elbow, directly between the tricep and bicep, that's the source of the pain/weakness. given there's very little bicep usage going on as you accelerate through the serve, my inclination is it's a tricep/tendon thing. but i really can't tell.

thanks for the replies, btw.

princemidplus
10-16-2008, 11:11 PM
the biceps are used throughtout the service action. the difference is that they work eccentrically (works while lengthening) when you straighten your elbow. your biceps controls the movement produced by triceps - like a force couple.

when you hold your arm out palm facing up is the pain on the outer or inner side between the biceps and triceps. if it is on the outer side it may be related to tennis elbow and if on the inner side it may be related to golfers elbow although then you would get more problems in both cases on groundstrokes as well.

are you familiar with golfers and tennis elbow and the symptoms of each?