PDA

View Full Version : Big Kick on Kick serve

Anonymous
03-30-2004, 08:17 AM
Can anyone help with increasing the kick on a topspin serve?
the most i can do is about 5-6 feet, i'm looking to add 2 more feet to that... any tips?

VTL
03-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Interesting topic, I've been thinking about doing the same. Some of the things I've been experimenting with is hitting the ball higher above the net, harder, and just hoping that there's enough topspin to bring the ball back to earth... sometimes it works beautifully, other times it just flies long.

My main problem is spin.. I can't seem to consistantly get it, especially when i'm tired because I feel most of my spin comes from my legs thrusting upward, and after 200 serves they start dying out. Any solutions?

andreh
03-31-2004, 12:33 AM
5-6 feet is pretty good. Adding 2 more feet would make you Edberg class, if you still can hit at 110mph, that is.

Anyway, ty turning the grip more towards eastern backhand if you don't already do this. It should increase the spin.

Kobble
03-31-2004, 06:04 PM
From my experience, a high contact point is very critical. It is common sense that tha higher the ball drops from the higher it will rebound. This also allows for the ball to drop at a steeper angle, and when that is combined with the increased leverage of a higher contact point, you get more kick. I have noticed that the pros who contact the higher and further into the court, typically have the biggest serves. Being further into the court also reduces the distance the ball has to travel from the racquet to the ground, and that reduces the air resistance that ball will experience, which leads to more speed being upon striking the ground.

If you want more kick without adjustments to your technique you can always use a racquet with fewer mains, and more lively string like NXT 17 will help. Sampras had a great kick serve, and he used a 16 mains racquet with 17 gauge gut. I don't believe I am going to say this, but you can always use the Babolat frames to give you extra kick.

Anonymous
04-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Kobble, funny you suggested babolat, i currently play with a PS tour 90, my friend is stringing my racquets so he let me play with his Babolat Pure Control (he has some weight added). Anyway i found that i lost power on my shots and got a little more spin, on my serve i was maybe getting .5 feet more kick,
I'll see what i can do, technique wise, if i figure it out i'll share

By that way, I was hoping Bungalo Bill will post some of his infinite tennis wisdom .... am i doing something wrong?

Thanks alot

Kobble
04-01-2004, 09:56 AM
The Tour 90 is a pretty good frame for spin. What are you stringing it with right now?

Anonymous
04-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Kobble,
I just got my racquets strung with Babolat Super Fine PLay 17g

Kobble
04-02-2004, 06:34 PM
That is one of the best playing strings for the value. Don't be surprised if it breaks early though.