PDA

View Full Version : I may have broken my butt/extreme lower back. Any other old guys have this?

richw76
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
OK, So this is a little embarrassing. My butt hurts.... it's not really my butt more my extreme lower back/tail bone area. I haven't fallen on my tail bone recently that I can remember but WOW it hurts. It REALLY hurts to sit down, or anything that puts pressure on that area.

I scheduled an appointment with the doc tomorrow but over the last few days I've tried heat/cold/aleve/ibuprofin nothing even puts a dent in the pain.
Any ideas?

brazen
10-16-2008, 03:24 PM
hmmm... Maybe you and your boyfriend should take a break? just throwing it out there.
j/k

mrw
10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Sciatica ?

Barricade V
10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Happened to me but I'm not an old guy. I heated it for A long while and it got better, funny thing is, I can't remeber falling on my tailbone either

Rickson
10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
It's your lower back or you coccyx. You need to ice down that area and just above it too. The injury usually starts out at just above the coccyx and spreads out from there. Keep applying ice to the lower back and trust me, this is a lower back injury. Make sure you don't apply heat.

Il Mostro
10-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Any pain or tingling north of the butt, or down either leg?

princemidplus
10-17-2008, 02:00 AM
do you have any numbness or pins and needles/tingling around your butt, cutt muscles or private area or any difficulty passing urine or stools?

sounds like coccyx injury in which case you need to alleviate pressure to the area although not sure why you would have these problems if you do not sit down hard or injure it.

richw76
10-17-2008, 04:31 AM
It's your lower back or you coccyx. You need to ice down that area and just above it too. The injury usually starts out at just above the coccyx and spreads out from there. Keep applying ice to the lower back and trust me, this is a lower back injury. Make sure you don't apply heat.

Thanks Rickson, That's it exactly. I applied heat first which was a huge mistake. I tried using the ice like you said, and it still hurts alot but it did take the edge off. I'd say 30% better. I was at least able to sleep last night.

Pain is weird, 1st day you hurt but no big deal. 2nd day it hurts and you start losing sleep. 5 days in you're going nuts.

Since this seems to actually be a lowerback issue, what can I do to prevent it in the future? I still really don't remember doing anything to traumatize the area.

curvefan
10-19-2008, 06:31 PM
richw76,

I had a very similar injury as you. In fact I still do.

It started out exactly as you describe without any apparent falls or traumas to that specific area (tailbone).

I had cortisone shots and numerous physical therapy sessions but nothing really worked. The pain is really bad if I lift something heavy.

I use a "donut" to sit on to alleviate the pain when driving or riding in a car.

I believe the term the doctor used was coccygydynia (excuse the spelling) or painful tailbone.

I hope you have better luck with treatment.

Rickson
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
You can try to avoid heavy lifting and when you do lift objects off the ground, use your legs, but you've heard that before. There's no guarantee that you'll never strain your lower back again, but if you do, ice the area as soon as possible and you'll probably be back on your feet in a short time.

TheShaun
10-19-2008, 08:58 PM
OK, So this is a little embarrassing. My butt hurts.... it's not really my butt more my extreme lower back/tail bone area. I haven't fallen on my tail bone recently that I can remember but WOW it hurts. It REALLY hurts to sit down, or anything that puts pressure on that area.

I scheduled an appointment with the doc tomorrow but over the last few days I've tried heat/cold/aleve/ibuprofin nothing even puts a dent in the pain.
Any ideas?

i had a similar pain. no fall or anything. it was from sitting for too long on a wooden stool at my girlfriends place. turned into a bruise of sorts i guess. just had to ride it out, but it lingered for a month or more.

netman
10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Do you sit a lot? If so, it could be related to excessive sitting. Sitting puts tremendous pressure on the disks in your lower back. In fact the only thing that puts more pressure on them is poor lifting technique. If you sit all day, then do an excessive twisting activity like tennis, you are setting your low back disks up for injury.

If you can arrange it, try a stand up desk for work. Standing to work reduces the pressure on your low back disks roughly 80-90% and has the added benefit of burning more calories and strengthening your legs.